Hi Gary,
    Are you still running the Edingdales?

Nigel

I'm Gary.

Yeah Nige.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    I have finally had a chance to check out the Leak 3090s.

I plonked them roughly in the right place in the lounge, connected up a Yamaha CD-M77 CD player and AV-M99 amplifier and sat down for a quick listen.

I’m still here two and a half hours later.

They are really very good. No, scratch that - they’re bloody superb. Midrange is just magnificent - vocals are smack bang centre stage and project out beautifully; treble is gloriously clean and smooth (unlike the old 2075s!) and bass is big, brawny and effortless.

All in all, it’s a disaster. This was a quick makeover and then I need to sell them as they’re taking up room I don’t have and the funds from them are already earmarked. I didn’t want to like them and I certainly didn’t want to absolutely love them.

Oh poo...
    Did you change any xover components or was it just wiring and tweeters?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Chris.

WEll, I'm not surprised at your reaction! Those guys at Leak knew a thing or two.
    Interesting to hear your comment on the treble; can't just be the Iso tweeter? Perhaps it 's the different X-over?
    You're reminding me to smarten up my own boxes which have the odd cup ring -that you don't notice when listening of course.
    Shall have a matching listen later-I use mine with the Kuro TV. (Panasonic Receiver) Digs out the deep bass well on some films!
    At least you have a NICE problem! Albeit a rather large-physically- one!
    I'll miss mine (if anyone appears!) otherwise, happy to keep owning.
    Chris.

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Did you change any xover components or was it just wiring and tweeters?
    No, just new tweeters and input/bass driver wiring. If I had been intending to keep them I would have done more but I’m not.

Well, I thought I wasn’t anyway...
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Chris.

You forgot to mention the huge bass inductors, described as 'made of rolled 1+1/2 inch copper sheeting'!

Plus, if they sound good now, why change anything.....unless....?
    Chris.

I'm Adam.

Only the 2075s had the big flat bass inductors - they’re standard coils in the 3090s. Victims of cost-cutting I understand!
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Chris.

Sun out. Wife away. Neighbours absent.
    Perfect time to wind up the 3090s and listen.
    Starts with Shchedrin-Bizet 'Carmen'- an arrangement with FIFTY-SEVEN percussion instruments!! - to loosen the rafters.
    A bit of cool Lee Ritenour. Then some live recording of Bob Marley to remind me seeing them in their early-in-UK days.
    ('Live at the Roxy' CD) Those guys had played together for a decade before we got them; Aston 'Family Man' Barrett's bass coming over well via the 14 inch unit.
    A bit of Oscar Aleman's cheery (mono) jive.Long time favourite.
    Then some late John Hiatt, obviously recorded live as a group, great aura.
    A bit of Enrique Morente to recall nights in Andalusia ('Suena la Alhambra' just before he died -very atmospheric + melancholy.)
    Sometimes it's nice to relax with these great speakers!
    Chris.

I'm Adam.

My 3090s sounded great again this afternoon. I thought so and so did the bloke who then drove off with them, leaving me behind an envelope full of cash.

I’m sad but, on the upside, the hall is looking a lot bigger again...

I'm Lawrence.

Know what you mean Adam, my Airedales were sitting in my hall for a few weeks until someone bought them. It was a struggle getting the pushchair in! Hope yours weren't there for too long.

Incidentally, where did you list your Leaks, Chris might find it helpful to sell his?

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast