+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Are expensive phono preamps worth it?

I'm Alan.

Another angle on this is a DIY build is the way to achieve the best of the expensive Phono stages at a fraction of the cost
    The Paradise phono stage being the prime example

Alan
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 337alant View Post
    Another angle on this is a DIY build is the way to achieve the best of the expensive Phono stages at a fraction of the cost

Alan
    Agreed

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Alan
    Not much help if the Paradise circuit boards are no longer available. Nor does it help if the transistors have be selected to match one another - not everyone has a transistor tester.
    Barry

I'm Slav.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Not much help if the Paradise circuit boards are no longer available. Nor does it help if the transistors have be selected to match one another - not everyone has a transistor tester.
    Paradise is not a good example , it is too sophisticated and to build it with no oscilloscope , transistor tester , etc... is like trying to build spaceship with just a hammer . Total cost is around £1k and with right tools and proper testing aims a bit higher than standard DIY projects .

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Its just an example of what can be done, its blatantly obvious that you have to have the skills and equipment, but you could also ask someone to do it for you and still save a lot compared to a commercially produce product.
    Simon SQ225917 made quite a few Paradise phono stages for people on here and PFM and put a smile on there faces, I know people who own them and are very happy with them and what they paid to have them built
    But as I said its just an example, the Salas folding simplistic phono stage is another over on DIY audio, the phonoclone another , and Bugle 2 from Hagerman sells kits, there are loads out there.

Alan
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by mac72 View Post
    Paradise is not a good example , it is too sophisticated and to build it with no oscilloscope , transistor tester , etc... is like trying to build spaceship with just a hammer . Total cost is around £1k and with right tools and proper testing aims a bit higher than standard DIY projects .
    I think it is as the saving even in the terms you have quoted are still great comparative to the sound and quality you get for your money IMO.

Alan

Bigman80 Guest

The paradise is a phonostage that should cost FAR more than it does, so I believe that was the point being made.

There are other DIY phonostages that don't require much more than a soldering iron to build. Mine is just one of them. Incredibly straightforward and the result is very rewarding.

Building your own stuff only adds to the enjoyment of listening to it.

I'm John.

The OP, will benefit from attending a 'Bake Off 'social event where Phonostages are being evaluated through one system.
    I have heard the Paradise in such a situation, and am very aware of the capabilities it has, I had it as a top contender on the day, and this still stands, but, it is one that needs to be heard, as it has a unique reference quality presentation, that most Phon's can't get near.

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    The paradise is a phonostage that should cost FAR more than it does, so I believe that was the point being made.

There are other DIY phonostages that don't require much more than a soldering iron to build. Mine is just one of them. Incredibly straightforward and the result is very rewarding.

Building your own stuff only adds to the enjoyment of listening to it.
    Absolutely !
    https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/grou...stage-buy.html

I wish I had joined in this one too
    looks excellent and very simple to build

Alan

Bigman80 Guest

Absolutely !
    https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/grou...stage-buy.html

I wish I had joined in this one too
    looks excellent and very simple to build

Alan
    Link isn't working mate, is that to my Bigbottle phonostage?

If so, it's not too late to join in!

If not, I'd like to see who else had the same idea lol

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast