+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Are expensive phono preamps worth it?

I'm Slav.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Oops!

No need to mince your words just because it's mine, I'm not offended, I just wanted to explain the availability of the aforementioned information.

I haven't made all the information available on the thread but if anyone has had a question about Gain, Loading, measurement points, alternative parts etc, I have all of that and will share it with anyone who's bought a PCB. It really is a very simple project and one that in personal research has been very reliable. If it wasn't, I'd never have offered them out because I don't make anything on the PCBs. It was a not for profit project. I don't own the circuit, I didn't design it and would never suggest I have the ability to do so. The plan was to see if any electro-numpty, like me, with a soldering iron and will power, could build their own phonostage. I can tell you from first hand experience that they can IF they do exactly what the BOM and build guide says.

No fancy equipment is required and that was the goal! It's like a jigsaw puzzle and once you put it together, there should be no variation between any other Bigbottle phonostage.

I knew there's be resistance to the project because I won't share the circuit diagram but you don't need it, not for this project anyway.

O
    Well done , out of curiosity (if you can share) what's the MC gain and RIAA accuracy , how have you tested f. responce (or RIAA accuracy) with reverse RIAA and white noise?
    Unfortunately I have too much on my plate at the moment to start another DIY thingy but if you have a unit I could borrow for a week or two I would gladly compare it with my Paradise and take some independent measurements ( up to my ability) if you wouldn't mind .

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mac72 View Post
    Well done , out of curiosity (if you can share) what's the MC gain and RIAA accuracy , how have you tested f. responce (or RIAA accuracy) with reverse RIAA and white noise?
    Unfortunately I have too much on my plate at the moment to start another DIY thingy but if you have a unit I could borrow for a week or two I would gladly compare it with my Paradise and take some independent measurements ( up to my ability) if you wouldn't mind .
    The Gain is 62db,

Mr Firebottle did the RIAA and all the technical bits and pieces. I'd have to ask him.

I'd like the unit to be tested, and measured but at present, I only have the one unit, mine!

I wouldn't expect it to be as accurate as the paradise, after all, that's a precision instrument of surgical level.
    Last edited by Bigman80; 23-03-2019 at 16:03.

I'm Slav.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    The Gain is 62db,

Mr Firebottle did the RIAA and all the technical bits and pieces. I'd have to ask him.

I'd like the unit to be tested, and measured but at present, I only have the one unit, mine!

I wouldn't expect it to be as accurate as the paradise, after all, that's a precision instrument of surgical level.
    You never know , you should make a loaner unit to attract more audience , I'd definitely be interested in auditioning .

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mac72 View Post
    You never know , you should make a loaner unit to attract more audience , I'd definitely be interested in auditioning .
    I will have another phonostage here eventually. Another Prototype, so it may free this one up for such duties!

I'm Mike.

I've recently bought the Firebottle OTP 3 from John "hate hifi" on the for sale section on this forum, I'd never heard this phono stage before, but Alan has a good reputation for making great sounding pieces of kit so I thought for £165 I couldn't go wrong.

It arrived well packed with a bar of chocolate (nice touch John) but when I plugged it in there was a problem, it made a lot of noise I was absolutely gutted, any way I called Alan to see if he knew what it could be, he didn't but kindly said he would look at it for me so I dropped it off with him at the WAM show, in the mean time I'd spoken to John and he said he would cover the cost of repair or take it back and refund me.

So after a couple of days I get a message from Alan saying it's fixed, he swapped the internal power supply for a 24v wall wart and the cost.... . .not a bean just £6.50 postage which John paid for.

So what does it sound like, well I wasn't expecting night and day but that's exactly what I got, better definition, wider deeper sound stage and bass I had never heard before, this little beauty is awesome and something I won't be parting with any time soon.

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Alan.

Excellent Mike, nice to have the feedback and know it is doing the business

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567