+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 40 of 40

Thread: Why Modern Music Is Awful

  1. #31
    Join Date: Jan 2008

    Location: Wrexham, North Wales, UK

    Posts: 80,486
    I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

    Default

    Also, did anyone see the Arctic Monkeys perform live at the BBC Maida Vale studios last night? It was rather good, as is their new album:



    Another example of a talented band from modern times!

    Marco.
    http://www.thestainedglasscompany.com

    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do" -- Milan Kundera.

    BE HAPPY EVERYDAY!

  2. #32
    Join Date: Apr 2017

    Location: Manningtree, Essex

    Posts: 528
    I'm Tony.

    Default

    My favourite live act from last year. My son Nathan put me onto him early on in the year and said to watch out for him.

    Caught him as the support act for Bruno Mars at the O2 and he was phenomenal.

    His album “Malibu” was another highlight of the year.

    Then caught him on Jools Holland and also on one of the best sets at Glastonbury in 2017 (wish I was at that one, it was sublime).

    A real eclectic mix of styles, r&b, jazz, rock, fusion, soul, whatever...




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A mainly digital setup with a musical amplifier and endearing 1970's speakers. A CD player that hardly ever gets used and a turntable that is good enough to remind my how enjoyable my old vinyl is. Some cables and things.

  3. #33
    Join Date: Aug 2009

    Location: Staffordshire, England

    Posts: 22,012
    I'm Martin.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Lol, no you wouldn't because you just lazily sit back and wait until the 'cream rises to the top'! You don't get out there and see what happening right NOW. What was the last gig or concert you were at, and when was it?

    .
    Steely Dan, Aintree, 2007.

    Might have been to see a couple of local bands since then but I don't recall exactly. There was a mate's retirement party about 6 years ago where they had a bit of a jam. Does that count?
    Martin



    Current Lash Up:

    Technics SLP1200 CD Player * NVA P90SA passive pre / Krell KSA50S Power amp * JM Lab Electra 926 loudspeakers *


    'This is the sort of music I'd be listening to if I was going shopping for a training bra.'

  4. #34
    Join Date: Jan 2008

    Location: Wrexham, North Wales, UK

    Posts: 80,486
    I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mightymonoped View Post
    My favourite live act from last year. My son Nathan put me onto him early on in the year and said to watch out for him.

    Caught him as the support act for Bruno Mars at the O2 and he was phenomenal.

    His album “Malibu” was another highlight of the year.

    Then caught him on Jools Holland and also on one of the best sets at Glastonbury in 2017 (wish I was at that one, it was sublime).

    A real eclectic mix of styles, r&b, jazz, rock, fusion, soul, whatever...
    Cool, although based on that performance, I prefer him more as a drummer than a singer!

    Marco.
    http://www.thestainedglasscompany.com

    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do" -- Milan Kundera.

    BE HAPPY EVERYDAY!

  5. #35
    Join Date: Jan 2008

    Location: Wrexham, North Wales, UK

    Posts: 80,486
    I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Steely Dan, Aintree, 2007.

    Might have been to see a couple of local bands since then but I don't recall exactly. There was a mate's retirement party about 6 years ago where they had a bit of a jam. Does that count?
    Lol... Why am I not surprised it was Steely Dan!



    Marco.
    http://www.thestainedglasscompany.com

    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do" -- Milan Kundera.

    BE HAPPY EVERYDAY!

  6. #36
    Join Date: Jan 2013

    Location: Bristol

    Posts: 4,208
    I'm Justin.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Also, did anyone see the Arctic Monkeys perform live at the BBC Maida Vale studios last night? It was rather good, as is their new album:



    Another example of a talented band from modern times!

    Marco.
    Used to like them. Now I can't listen to them. I have a similar thing going going with Muse. Early stuff great, and still is. Later stuff makes me cringe.
    Double slit experiment enlightened.

  7. #37
    Join Date: Jan 2008

    Location: Wrexham, North Wales, UK

    Posts: 80,486
    I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

    Default

    I know you're coming from, Justers. The new AM release is more of a 'concept' album, so a bit of a grower and quite different from their earlier stuff.

    Marco.
    http://www.thestainedglasscompany.com

    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do" -- Milan Kundera.

    BE HAPPY EVERYDAY!

  8. #38
    Join Date: Jan 2013

    Location: Bristol

    Posts: 4,208
    I'm Justin.

    Default

    The Hands sounds interesting on the mobile. Will check it out later.
    Double slit experiment enlightened.

  9. #39
    Join Date: Jan 2008

    Location: Wrexham, North Wales, UK

    Posts: 80,486
    I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

    Default

    Yeah, it's a bit 'out there', but a rewarding listen on a main system

    Marco.
    http://www.thestainedglasscompany.com

    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do" -- Milan Kundera.

    BE HAPPY EVERYDAY!

  10. #40
    Join Date: Jun 2014

    Location: Chorley Lancs

    Posts: 1,631
    I'm Steve.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    Used to like them. Now I can't listen to them. I have a similar thing going going with Muse. Early stuff great, and still is. Later stuff makes me cringe.
    I could like Muse if they would sack that singer and get someone else. His voice has this affectation which perhaps he does to add some 'feeling' to his lyrics, but it just winds me up.


    Anderson .Paak is another one which I really liked on Jools Holland. Each episode has on average two acts I like, but when I'm in the record shop holding me pound notes (and there are never many of them) I tend to play it safe. I always get quite a few records for Christmas, so that is when I get a bit more 'adventurous'.
    'I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested'

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234



 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •