+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Modern Music Is Awful

I'm Michael.

Default Why Modern Music Is Awful

An interesting video here which tells us quite eloquently what we knew already. That doesn't mean that it's not worth watching.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Good video, Michael, and most interesting. It certainly explains why the disposable pap in today's charts, posing as 'music', all sounds the same!

However, I would be tempted to alter your thread title to read: 'Why Modern POP Music is Awful', as there's plenty of great modern music around, which isn't commercially produced pop, as indeed was outlined in the video. I think it's important to make that distinction.

Here's an interesting related video about the formula Max Martin uses, called "Melodic Math", which is worth watching after your video:

Marco.

P.S I've also embedded your YouTube link.
    http://www.thestainedglasscompany.com

"A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do" -- Milan Kundera.

BE HAPPY EVERYDAY!

I'm Tom.

there's already a thread about this video

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...op-so-terrible
    Main: Speakers 'RFC' Tannoy Canterburys / custom crossovers; Amp - Radford STA100; Pre EAR 912; Vinyl: Thorens TD124 MkII + Ikeda IT345-CR1 / Ikeda IT-407 tonearms; Cartridges Stereo - Miyajima Madake, Ortofon SPU Royal N, Ikeda 9C III, SAEC/Excel C3; Mono - Miyajimas - Zero 0.7, Premium 1.0, Sonovox MC-4 1.0, Edison '78' 4.0 conical, and Shure M44 strapped for mono with several Expert Stylus conicals for different eras of 78s; Phono stage and SUT from EAR 912; Esoteric Sound Re-Equalizer for equalisation of early mono and 78, switchable in from tape loop; Digital: Audio Note CDT2/II transport, heavily modded AN Kit DAC + Mutec MC3+USB.

Study: Speakers - Tannoy DC6; Amp: Pass Aleph 'Mini'; preamp - Firebottle custom; Vinyl: Garrard 401 with AT1503 tonearm and vintage Ortofon SL-15e with matching Ortofon 2-15k SUT; Phono Stage: Firebottle Plus; Digital - Trichord Genesis III CDP + Arcam rBlink; Schiit Multibit DAC.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Whats wrong with ephemeral pop music, "here today, gone tomorrow"? The '80s and '90s were full of it.
    Have you listened to this month's choice in the Album Club?

Barry

I'm Tom.

Guys, the link has a fairly strong argument, backed up by statistical data from quite a number of formal studies, and **is** actually worth watching.

Most responses (as you'd expect on a forum ) are just a reaction to the headline. Which is fine but not quite the point.
    Main: Speakers 'RFC' Tannoy Canterburys / custom crossovers; Amp - Radford STA100; Pre EAR 912; Vinyl: Thorens TD124 MkII + Ikeda IT345-CR1 / Ikeda IT-407 tonearms; Cartridges Stereo - Miyajima Madake, Ortofon SPU Royal N, Ikeda 9C III, SAEC/Excel C3; Mono - Miyajimas - Zero 0.7, Premium 1.0, Sonovox MC-4 1.0, Edison '78' 4.0 conical, and Shure M44 strapped for mono with several Expert Stylus conicals for different eras of 78s; Phono stage and SUT from EAR 912; Esoteric Sound Re-Equalizer for equalisation of early mono and 78, switchable in from tape loop; Digital: Audio Note CDT2/II transport, heavily modded AN Kit DAC + Mutec MC3+USB.

Study: Speakers - Tannoy DC6; Amp: Pass Aleph 'Mini'; preamp - Firebottle custom; Vinyl: Garrard 401 with AT1503 tonearm and vintage Ortofon SL-15e with matching Ortofon 2-15k SUT; Phono Stage: Firebottle Plus; Digital - Trichord Genesis III CDP + Arcam rBlink; Schiit Multibit DAC.

I'm Michael.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    there's already a thread about this video

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...op-so-terrible
    It did cross my mind that this could be deja vu whilst I was posting. I felt sure that someone would correct me.

I'm Tom.

Quote Originally Posted by Dauntless View Post
    It did cross my mind that this could be deja vu whilst I was posting. I felt sure that someone would correct me.
    It deserves to be watched but unfortunately it won't be by most people posting on the thread, the vast majority of whom (being a contrary bunch) will make some irrelevant point that there's good music being made out there today (nobody disputed that), ignoring the central argument that, measurably, mainstream popular music (ie, the music of the masses that you can't escape as it's everywhere) is being dumbed down and homogenised in important, measurable and clearly demonstrable ways, and the result is to the detriment of our lives as social beings.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    It deserves to be watched but unfortunately it won't be by most people posting on the thread, the vast majority of whom (being a contrary bunch) will make some irrelevant point that there's good music being made out there today (nobody disputed that), ignoring the central argument that, measurably, mainstream popular music (ie, the music of the masses that you can't escape as it's everywhere) is being dumbed down and homogenised in important, measurable and clearly demonstrable ways, and the result is to the detriment of our lives as social beings.
    Who's ignoring it? Certainly not me, I completely agree, and also think it's virtually an indisputable fact! However, to keep things positive, and also reflect reality, the former is also just as true

That said, I still believe that many 'audiophiles' tend to have somewhat unimaginative and insular tastes in music, and so those who qualify, need to get out more and broaden their horizons, as despite the increasing levels of 'disposable pap', populating today's charts and popular music scene, there's still A LOT of great music being produced today.

Marco.

"A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do" -- Milan Kundera.

BE HAPPY EVERYDAY!

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Whats wrong with ephemeral pop music, "here today, gone tomorrow"? The '80s and '90s were full of it.
    Sure, but that's not what the bigger picture is about, Barry. Timbo made a great post, which summed things up nicely, until (for reasons best known to him), the daftee deleted it!

It's so good, it actually deserves restoring and commenting on... How about it, Tim? Just one click of the button I have here will do it!

Marco.

BE HAPPY EVERYDAY!

I'm Grant.

ive found it depends on your outlook as a person. if you are insular, to steal the word, you tend to see anything that is not what you like is rotten. our parents did it, we do it etc. there obviously is good stuff out there if you look; but thats the point, you have to look quite a bit. 60's/70's it was more apparent.
    the studios are mostly to blame, following a winning formula, and never digressing, or letting lack of talent get in their way.
    Regards,
    Grant ....

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    OPPO BDP-103D DARBEE - JBE SERIES 3/B&O SP1/EMOTIVA XPS1/12V BATTERY - TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK AMPLIFIERS - XIANG SHENG DAC\PRE\HEADPHONE AMP\WE TUBED - TWIN AVANTREE OASIS CLASS 1 BLUETOOTHS - AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 & OPPO PM-3 PLANAR HEADPHONES - WIN10 JRIVER24, SPOTIFY - SMSL M6 MINIDAC - RPI/AUDIOPHONICS/VOLUMIO/5V BATTERY - FULL RANGE TWIN TELEFUNKEN/Q ACOUSTIC BT3/CANTON SUB - P.INSPIRED MAINS REGENERATED.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast