+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Radford monitor m.90

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    You seem to have a knack for finding classic old loudspeakers. How do you do it?
    🤫

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Very nice, Andy. Those look 'propa'!

Look forward to finding out how the recapping goes. Having done this myself now with a few different pairs of vintage speakers, it should make a big difference

Marco.
    Cheers Marco, they’re pretty cool .
    Recap tomorrow

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by andyrlb View Post
    A bit confusing because the literature say 12” but they’re 10”
    The width of drivers is usually quoted as the measurement across the chassis front, which should be around 12", the cone may be 10".

I'm Chris.

Old monitor club on horizon? I wonder how many survive? Big Wharfedales......I'll put my Leak 3090s in this category.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Chris.

I'm Andrew.

Default Radford monitor m.90

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    The width of drivers is usually quoted as the measurement across the chassis front, which should be around 12", the cone may be 10".
    That explains it then , it is an odd shape certainly not round

Last edited by andyrlb; 06-06-2018 at 11:59.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by hornucopia View Post
    Old monitor club on horizon? I wonder how many survive? Big Wharfedales......I'll put my Leak 3090s in this category.
    Mmmm nice

montesquieu Guest

I've had these for a week or so now. I'm pretty impressed with them. Sat on the floor they didn't quite sound their best but on lowish (20cm) stands the sound was a lot more integrated.

Bass is nicely articulated, not earth-shatteringly low but extends usefully in room below 40hz which is plenty for most purposes. Overall the progression up through the octaves is smooth and the highs in particular ... at first I thought the amp sounded a bit bright but I think the reason for that is the 10w Pass Aleph M clone was a bit underpowered ... with the Radford STA25 this brightness reduced markedly and with 90w class D it went away altogether. I think the reason for this is that these are from the late 70s era of high-power solid state amps, and need a decent amount of power up them to come to life and for the frequency response to even out - I don't think the woofers were firing on all cylinders at 10w or even entirely at 35w. 80w or 100w+ of solid state power are what these are craving.

I'm currently running them in the study which is a bit silly because it's a very small room and they aren't really able to stretch their legs. I'd put these in the same bracket as, say, small floorstander Kefs or Spendors, they need a firm hand and a bit of space to properly bloom.

In the main setup they sounded pretty good though not quite with the scale of my Tannoys. Overall the sound is detailed and listenable - a lot of fun, slightly power hungry (not uncommon in the period) but with a pleasant overall feel.

Out of curiosity I want to hear them with the Raford STA100 when I get it back, but after that I suspect they will probably be for sale or swap for something bookshelf sized.

I'm Andrew.

Auditoriums
    Last edited by andyrlb; 24-06-2018 at 14:58.

I'm Grant.

yup, i'd agree on them probably needing a lot of watts. had a set of imf's and they needed it to spring into life
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Andrew.

Auditoriums Tom

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast