+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Seg with power amp?

I'm Rob.

Hello Jim (monkfish) & Tony (twotone);

Having seen the kit you're using, my last response to you now seems a bit condescending, I apologise. I never intended it that way, I just said it as I seen it.

I've read a few more reviews, some being very happy such as yourself, some complaining about reliability and some about brightness and the need to choose the right speakers. It does interest me though when I read people comparing them to really high end kit. Reliability seems to be an issue that sways me away.

How do they sound compared to previous amps? Are you running these in mono?

I'm Rob.

Hello Geoff (Stryder5),

I'm basically feeling reasured the SEG will be ok as a pre.

I had let a few power amps float past downstream on ebay, because I wasn't too sure about the preamp section.

I've also noticed a post I missed from Stanley Beresford, he says there's a mode that can be performed to improve the preamp section. I'll probably use the SEG on a power amp first though before going down the mod route.

Don't know what I'm going to buy, won't be any panic buying I have a couple of decent amps to listen to.

I'm Rob.

Hello Rob (robtweed),

Thanks for your input, it looks like I have nothing to worry about with the seg preamp.

The fact that you've had several A500 and kept trying means you must rate this amp? How does it sound up against your previous amps?

My main amp is a Sony F770ES and it has big soundstage with lot's of air in between instuments and plenty detail, it really sings when warmed up and it's quite a fast paced amp.

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by meBob View Post

Having seen the kit you're using, my last response to you now seems a bit condescending, I apologise. I never intended it that way, I just said it as I seen it.

I've read a few more reviews, some being very happy such as yourself, some complaining about reliability and some about brightness and the need to choose the right speakers. It does interest me though when I read people comparing them to really high end kit. Reliability seems to be an issue that sways me away.

Hi Jim, monkfish (Jim) knows his stuff mate, certainly much more than me, I couldn't believe how good the Dynaudio speakers sounded in his system, in my system they sound excellent in Jim's system they were like different speakers to what I had been listening to for the previous three months, as I said previously my jaw dropped and I'm not talking loud volume here I'm talking dynamics, mid range and bass to die for and all at reasonable listening levels.

I came away thinking that it must have been down to his room and that Jim knew exactly what worked in that room.

I've customer with a £12k to a £16k all Linn system and it sounds stunning but you know what? Jim's system sounded just as good or should I say it had that feeling that you get in your chest from a top of the range sound system.

I've never experienced that in my own system.

I'm Gary.

Hello Geoff (Stryder5),

I'm basically feeling reasured the SEG will be ok as a pre.

I had let a few power amps float past downstream on ebay, because I wasn't too sure about the preamp section.

I've also noticed a post I missed from Stanley Beresford, he says there's a mode that can be performed to improve the preamp section. I'll probably use the SEG on a power amp first though before going down the mod route.

Don't know what I'm going to buy, won't be any panic buying I have a couple of decent amps to listen to.
    Hi,

I'm interested in what the solution was?

Gary

I'm Jim.

No apology needed mate, just a discussion, I'm as surprised as anyone how good the amp sounds, out of the box it was a bit thin and hard sounding, I posted here to that effect and said I wasn't too happy with it, three days of burn-in rounded the sound off lovely and I'm still using it about 2 years later.
    I'm using one amp in stereo mode just now but I have another so they could be bridged and used as mono's, with the Dynaydio's being 4ohm, the power would be about 600watts a side.
    There has been reliability issues for some people unfortunately, but no probs here thankfully.
    Jim.

I'm Alastair.

I have tried my Caiman SEG as a pre-amp into my mono-blocks. There was no problem with the sound level but I found the sound to lack detail and dynamics compared to the passive BTE pre-amp that I use. Also my BTE allows me to switch the input to my AV amp pre-out to drive the front speakers.
    Cheers

Alastair

RPI4/PI2AES running PiCorePlayer/LMS-> AQ Carbon AES -> Topping D90 DAC-> Khozomo Passive Pre-Amp -> 4x Temple Audio Monoblocks powered by 2xLiFePO batteries->Van Damme Black Bi-Wired to B&W 804 Nautilus and Sommer Carbokab 225 Interconnects

I'm Rob.

Hello Alp,

Thanks for the input.

I'm Rob.

Hello Stryder5,

My original question was asking if anybody had tried the SEG with a power amp.

I've had back some positive replies that it does work ok. The solution is that it does and if see a power amp I want, I'll buy it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123