+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Early Philips and Marantz CDPs

I'm Geoff.

I struggle with great 'blocks' of writing. I've read it, but some paragraphing would be good.

And yes, some old CD players can be very nice. Grab a Meridian 206 or Pioneer PD-S505 Precision and you'll see what I mean.

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    If you get fed up of it let me know and I'll have it. I reckon I have my system set up to get the best from digital so I'd be interested to see if I can hear the alleged harshness etc.
    I haven't used this for a while now, I'm have been and will be spending the next few months ripping my CD collection, plus I've got a new little project for what there is of my spare time Would you still like to try it?

I'm Geoff.

That's what I'm saying. Context is everything. It only took a few people to say that early digital was rubbish and now everyone believes it even though they have never tried it retrospectively.

The mags, dealers and makers never disabuse anyone of this myth because they want people buying the latest bit of kit, which is always better than what went before of course.
    I remember recording most of my early cd acquisitions to audio cassette because they sounded so awful when payed back on my Marantz CDP.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    I haven't used this for a while now, I'm have been and will be spending the next few months ripping my CD collection, plus I've got a new little project for what there is of my spare time Would you still like to try it?
    Hi Lawrence - Yes please, I would. Send me a PM at some point and we'll sort it out.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    I remember recording most of my early cd acquisitions to audio cassette because they sounded so awful when payed back on my Marantz CDP.
    I'm not saying I have heard every vintage cd player, not by a long chalk. There could well be some stinkers out there amongst the multitude. My interest these days is only in the flagship pieces of that era which I think are worth revisiting with an open mind.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Lawrence.

Hi Lawrence - Yes please, I would. Send me a PM at some point and we'll sort it out.
    Great, PM sent

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm Martin.

Replied to.
    Current Lash Up:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567