+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vibration Isolation Info

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Paul.

Default Vibration Isolation Info

With the recent talk about dampening and whether isolation makes a difference some people might be interested inthese links.

https://www.lord.com/products-and-so...olation-theory

https://www.lord.com/products-and-so...motion-control

Useful for anyone looking to DIY some vibration control for their hifi.

A bit heavy to go through in one go (I havenít gone through all of it yet), but should help in choosing the most likely optimum solution.
    ~Paul~

I'm Mike.

Thanks Paul

These guys are serious
    Rega Isis CD, Marigo Labs Clear Transformation CD mat, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, Belles VT-01 MK II Pre Amp, Belles MB200 Mono Power Amps, TAD E1 speakers. Creaktiv racks, Mains Cables: Coherent, MCRU Ultimate, Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz, TQ. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent socket

Mike

I'm Phil.

Ta so much, a lot to think about and digest
    1]bel canto pre 3 vbs /MSB s200 , / onkyo sacd/ bel canto fm1
    sonos, . tannoy eaton legacy 2]schiit saga pre , firebottle mono`s marantz sa8005 bel canto 3.5vbss and RFC impulse ta`us , track audio stands

I'm Paul.

If I understood it correctly what we would be looking to achieve for hifi equipment is that same sort of “bounciness” that you get with those old suspended turntables on music centres from the days of old, or washing machine gubbins.
    ~Paul~

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalsea View Post
    If I understood it correctly what we would be looking to achieve for hifi equipment is that same sort of “bounciness” that you get with those old suspended turntables on music centres from the days of old, or washing machine gubbins.
    My speakers move freely when pushed around, and if I give them a nudge, there's a little wobble, maybe 3Hz. It's a myth that this causes the speakers to move when being played, because they don't...

But yes, in essence you are looking for a 'spring' that oscillates below 5Hz when loaded.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Custom Silent Media Server >> Halide Bridge USB (with AQVOX USB power) >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Andrew.

That's a serious analysis of vibration and isolation, and the correct way to go in my opinion. Just shoving a bit of sorbothane under a piece of equipment is hit-and-miss at best - useless at worst. As for spikes... there's a lot of nonsense talked about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalsea View Post
    Yes, but probably with more mass and a lower resonant frequency than was used on old music centres.

I'm Dennis.

Have you actually measured it under transient conditions Neil?

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    Have you actually measured it under transient conditions Neil?
    Yes, by installing 'VibSensor' on my phone, which is an accelerometer / seismometer, placing it in top of my speakers, and cranking it up.

I also used it on my floor right next to my speakers to see the effect of decoupling, needless to say, huge effect!
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Custom Silent Media Server >> Halide Bridge USB (with AQVOX USB power) >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Dennis.

The conflict between the desire for no fore-aft movement under transient conditions, and a decoupling from the floor to avoid transmission of energy is a hard one.

Soft suspension risks loss of the transient, and spikes will couple to the floor a lot of energy if wooden.

I'm surprised at your results Neil, but the phone on top I think questionable; against the front probably being better, and is the phone app good enough? I presume that many current mobile phones carry an accelerometer.

I'm Neil.

Default Vibration Isolation Info

I was surprised too, as I have always used spikes, including a Mana rack, but the sound is now cleaner, more focus and 3D, less room boom. I can play it louder without upsetting the neighbours anymore, no loss of transients either.

I donít really see how a 5 inch driver is going to be moving anything, and in any case my speakers sit slightly off the stand top plates and are bolted into a rear fixing.

Decoupling has been the best VFM upgrade for me yet, so just went ahead and decoupled everything.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast