+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 31 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Christmas is only :-

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    I bought just one record - a minty copy of 'Long May You Run' by Stills/Young for £8. Not heard it since the seventies, so there's a fair chance it'll be crap
    It's not.

That was a nice find.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm gone.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Just posted off all the Christmas cards. On my way to the post box, I ecountered the first 'pavement pizza' of the Festive season. Looks like Christmas has started early!
    Barry

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Well that was an enjoyable trip to Shrewsbury. The only bit I wasn't looking forward to was the 'Smart Motorway' upgrade south of Manchester, but sat nav took us onto M56 just before then, As we passed Wrexham (Wrecsam!)* I wound the window down so I could hear if the Take That tour bus (Brabster) was anywhere near, but no sign.

Shrewsbury itself (birthplace of Charles Darwin) is a delightful little town, and for sheer numbers and diversity of its shops and businesses, it easily beats my other favourite town, Keswick. Such that we probably only saw about half of it at best. No joy with the ring-buying, and we got away too late to try Chester, but Mrs. P is in no hurry so she'll keep looking, hopefully while I'm at work!

We managed instead to get a number of smaller gifts and stocking fillers. The shop owners were so helpful and friendly I actually felt a bit guilty about not spending more than we did.

In the market hall I 'discovered' a nice little stall selling secondhand records, called 'White Rabbit'. Anita suggested I have a look in there while she went for a mooch round the other stalls. Result! I could have happily spent an hour or more in there, but didn't want to push my luck. I bought just one record - a minty copy of 'Long May You Run' by Stills/Young for £8. Not heard it since the seventies, so there's a fair chance it'll be crap. But what's Christmas without at least one vinyl regret?

Finished off with a late lunch, first visiting Henry Tudor House, which was so packed we didn't bother and instead called in at the Golden Cross. Pleasant husband and wife team (I assume). The woman's attire was a good match with the décor of the place, ie bizarre to say the least. I would not want to be the one to dust around all that stuff!

Food was excellent, if perhaps a little pricey. I enjoyed my 'Toad in the Hole', but tasting the beer battered haddock Anita was having, I wish I'd gone for that (happens a lot that does).

All in all a nice day, and we will certainly be going back again.

*Here's a question: I assume the Welsh have always called it 'Wrecsam', so why do you suppose the English saw fit to change the spelling?
    Glad you enjoyed it, Steve, although Anita will have to wait for her ring! For that, I'd defo go to Chester

Golden Cross is quaintly quirky, isn't it? I like the vibe... Was there many in when you were there? Did you swing by the Lion on the way back, and did you manage to park ok?

As for the 'Wrecsam' spelling thing, I presume it's a case of phonetics? Also, in North Wales, all the town names are in Welsh and English. Nice time you're in the area in the new year, let me know and we'll hook up

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Just posted off all the Christmas cards. On my way to the post box, I ecountered the first 'pavement pizza' of the Festive season.
    Were the diced carrots floating in a nice 'frothy soup'? That provides a good indication of spewing force, and ultimately determines the quality of a 'pavement pizza'.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Glad you enjoyed it, Steve, although Anita will have to wait for her ring! For that, I'd defo go to Chester

Golden Cross is quaintly quirky, isn't it? I like the vibe... Was there many in when you were there? Did you swing by the Lion on the way back, and did you manage to park ok?

As for the 'Wrecsam' spelling thing, I presume it's a case of phonetics? Also, in North Wales, all the town names are in Welsh and English. Nice time you're in the area in the new year, let me know and we'll hook up

Marco.
    I seem to remember from somewhere being told there is no letter x in the welsh language, as in taxi being spelt tacsi. I could of course be completely wrong and apologise to all welsh speakers, just in case.
    Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Van Damme cable with MS Starline plugs/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/modified Musical Fidelity X-DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Denon HA-500 head amp/Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Chinese passive RVC/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Mordaunt Short Signifer on original factory stands
    Cables
    Mogami with Rean Neutrik plugs/NVA LS5
    Headphones
    Sennheiser HD600/Sennheiser HD650/Koss Pro4 AA

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian7633 View Post
    I seem to remember from somewhere being told there is no letter x in the welsh language, as in taxi being spelt tacsi. I could of course be completely wrong and apologise to all welsh speakers, just in case.
    You are quite correct: there is no 'X' in the Welsh alphabet, and taxi is indeed spelt 'tacsi'.
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Ian7633 View Post
    Could be! I'll ask Del, as she'll know, and report back

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

Marco.
    The Golden Cross was certainly busy when we went in, but there was one vacant table with our name on it (if our name was giant centrepiece covering most of the table!) Everywhere was pretty busy, which is a good thing. I like to think that these little independent places can thrive what with all the online competition.

Didn't get in The Lion - Anita pointed to it and said "what about there?" But it was time to eat and I fancied the Golden Cross. We'll give it a go next time. We parked on the NCP at the bottom of Wyle Cop with no problems.

As for calling in next time we're down that way - that would be great and I will certainly give you a call. I just need to remember it's a landline so best not to text you
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

The Golden Cross was certainly busy when we went in, but there was one vacant table with our name on it (if our name was giant centrepiece covering most of the table!) Everywhere was pretty busy, which is a good thing. I like to think that these little independent places can thrive what with all the online competition.
    Glad that was the case, but it'll be mostly because of the time of year, as generally it (not just that restaurant, but any one in the town) is pretty quiet. I'm going there tomorrow to do some shopping and get some stuff for Del's birthday, which is this Thursday. I'll let you know if the weekday factor makes things any quieter

Didn't get in The Lion - Anita pointed to it and said "what about there?" But it was time to eat and I fancied the Golden Cross. We'll give it a go next time. We parked on the NCP at the bottom of Wyle Cop with no problems.
    Nice one. Did you pop into Tanners? Defo try and get to the Lion next time, as I think you'll like it, not necessarily for lunch, but for Afternoon tea. Their homemade scones are superb!

So what did you think of the shopping in Shrewsbury - was it worth the trip? Hopefully you saw why I like it. For me, it's got a good mix of traditional and modern shops, along with some great indoor markets, which gives it 'soul', unlike so many other towns these days, which sadly the Internet has killed...

As for calling in next time we're down that way - that would be great and I will certainly give you a call. I just need to remember it's a landline so best not to text you
    Lol... Even if it wasn't, the chances of you catching my mobile phone being switched on would be almost nil!

Anyway, no worries. Would be good to meet you

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 31 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast