+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: Ref 3A speakers with BP SE300b

  1. #11
    Join Date: Mar 2017

    Location: London N2

    Posts: 990
    I'm Edward.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Avinunca1 View Post
    I will probably build a Pass M2 having heard favourable reports for the pairing.
    Tom, of this parish, got a Pass Aleph design from a Taiwan seller and is most happy with it. Maybe this is something that will work for you?

    see:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323276341...m=323276341407

    Tom's thread is here:
    http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...amp-from-Valab
    Source: Tidal/Roon
    DAC: Metrum HEX NOS

    Amp: Sugden Masterclass 2018 spec, Radford Revival STA25,
    Speakers: Tannoy Eaton


  2. #12
    Join Date: May 2015

    Location: Shrewsbury

    Posts: 45
    I'm Michael.

    Default

    I think the M2 is a slightly different beast with it's voltage gain derived from a transformer which gives it a pleasing valve like signature.
    I will build one using parts from diy-audio.
    Thanks for the link though.

  3. #13
    Join Date: May 2016

    Location: Notts

    Posts: 1,609
    I'm Geoff.

    Default

    I should have demoed my Audiosector Patek v2. It is a SS (Gainclone) design that sounds very valve like and works superbly with the 3a's.

    I can also recommend the Art Audio Quintet. I am not selling mine but there was a very nice one on here recently that I don't think has sold yet.

    Geoff

  4. #14
    Join Date: May 2015

    Location: Shrewsbury

    Posts: 45
    I'm Michael.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    I should have demoed my Audiosector Patek v2. It is a SS (Gainclone) design that sounds very valve like and works superbly with the 3a's.

    I can also recommend the Art Audio Quintet. I am not selling mine but there was a very nice one on here recently that I don't think has sold yet.

    Geoff
    If the Pass amps are as good as they are reported to be I would like to move away from tubes. The M2 is said to be very reliable and I like Nelson's designs - like my BP, a minimum of components in the signal path. I get a buzz out of building. I think my BP amp will power the de capos nicely and with that seductive SET quality that captivated me with my previous speakers. I don't feel the need to buy another pp valve amp currently Geoff. My Leak 20 sounds very good with them and with plenty of oomph reflecting their sensitivity. I like the EL84s.

  5. #15
    Join Date: Mar 2017

    Location: London N2

    Posts: 990
    I'm Edward.

    Default

    By the way Michael do you have a pair of MM de Capos already? I'm not using mine so you are free to buy them if you wish. PM for a chat. But I guess you already have a pair and now just looking for a way to drive them.
    Source: Tidal/Roon
    DAC: Metrum HEX NOS

    Amp: Sugden Masterclass 2018 spec, Radford Revival STA25,
    Speakers: Tannoy Eaton


  6. #16
    Join Date: May 2016

    Location: Notts

    Posts: 1,609
    I'm Geoff.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Avinunca1 View Post
    If the Pass amps are as good as they are reported to be I would like to move away from tubes. The M2 is said to be very reliable and I like Nelson's designs - like my BP, a minimum of components in the signal path. I get a buzz out of building. I think my BP amp will power the de capos nicely and with that seductive SET quality that captivated me with my previous speakers. I don't feel the need to buy another pp valve amp currently Geoff. My Leak 20 sounds very good with them and with plenty of oomph reflecting their sensitivity. I like the EL84s.
    I can understand that. Personally, I am somewhat conflicted by the relative inefficiency of valves and the need to keep them on to get them performing optimally. Having said that, I don't think I could part with my Quintet. Have you considered something like a Nuprime design. You heard my STA-9's in monoblock mode with my Maggies. The new STA-6 looks like an absolute steal and you wouldn't need a pair with the 3a's.

    Geoff

  7. #17
    Join Date: Aug 2012

    Location: Sunny Portsmouth

    Posts: 6,754
    I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Avinunca1 View Post
    I was wondering if anyone here has experienced the combination of BP SE300b with Ref 3a products. I've read that the De Capo is borderline in sensitivity with some 300b SE amps. Maybe the BP choke input psu would make a difference. I like what I have read about Ref 3a - in particular their capabilities rendering acoustic/jazz/vocal.

    My listening would rarely be at high volume.
    Michael when I owned a 300b amp I had no problem driving any of the speakers I had at the time which, if I remember correctly, were Rega RS3's, Tannoy System 800's, Living Voice Auditoriums. I also ran the LS3/5a's with just 10w of SET amp and I never thought for one minute the combinations didn't work well

    Like you, I also do not listen at high volumes

    I happen to think that this amp/speaker matching thing is a bit overrated to be honest

    I am experiencing similar findings with my current Magneplanar speakers being run with an amp that most people think isn't 'man' enough but that isn't my view at all
    Bev


    Naim CD5XS Through:Black Cat Silverstar 75 To:Naim Dac Through:Naim 5 Pin Din To:Supernait 2 Through:NACA5 To:Living Voice Auditoriums or Rega RS3's or Magneplanar MG1's

  8. #18
    Join Date: May 2015

    Location: Shrewsbury

    Posts: 45
    I'm Michael.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    Michael when I owned a 300b amp I had no problem driving any of the speakers I had at the time which, if I remember correctly, were Rega RS3's, Tannoy System 800's, Living Voice Auditoriums. I also ran the LS3/5a's with just 10w of SET amp and I never thought for one minute the combinations didn't work well

    Like you, I also do not listen at high volumes

    I happen to think that this amp/speaker matching thing is a bit overrated to be honest

    I am experiencing similar findings with my current Magneplanar speakers being run with an amp that most people think isn't 'man' enough but that isn't my view at all
    I found bass was lacking with my Meadowlark Kestrel Hotrods driven by my BP compared with my Leak 20.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12



 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •