+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ref 3A speakers with BP SE300b

I'm Michael.

Default Ref 3A speakers with BP SE300b

I was wondering if anyone here has experienced the combination of BP SE300b with Ref 3a products. I've read that the De Capo is borderline in sensitivity with some 300b SE amps. Maybe the BP choke input psu would make a difference. I like what I have read about Ref 3a - in particular their capabilities rendering acoustic/jazz/vocal.

My listening would rarely be at high volume.

I'm Mike.

Personally I haven't found the choke input approach to really affect what the amps can drive...More that it affects what you get once you have everything else sorted.

A couple of points

I have found that the matching of gain in the system makes a lot of difference, in particular the input sensitivity of the power amp and gain in the pre amp.

Not sure which version of the power amp you are looking at but they are/were available in both a high and low gain version and this will significantly affect the above...
    StSt Motus DQ + SME 312 'MB Special'
    Transfix Axia / HM7
    Art Audio Vinyl 1 Ref
    Modified Mac Mini/Weiss DAC 202
    SJS Model 2
    BP P20 (SJS upgraded)
    Trenner and Friedl RA
    [/SIZE]

I'm Neil.

Ref 3A are nice with valves, but for best control you need more power.
    Regards Neil

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    Ref 3A are nice with valves, but for best control you need more power.
    I would agree that low output 300b designs may be pushing it a bit, especially with a low gain pre-amp. However, I have driven my Reference 3a de Capo speakers very well with an Art Audio Quintet in triode mode (15w per channel). No need to switch to pentode mode.

Geoff

I'm Michael.

Mike,

How does the power amp input sensitivity affect current delivery to the load? If the pre is delivering sufficient voltage to suit the gain of the power amp driver stage, surely maximum output can be achieved into the speakers. My pre is an Aikido design with plenty of drive.

My amp is currently wired for high gain and I intend to change it for low sensitivity though not to increase amplifier/speaker capability - instead to further improve the already very good sq.

I know that ideally I need loudspeakers of >94dB sensitivity according to BP but I have read several accounts of 300b 8W amps and even 2A3 amps powering the Ref 3A De Capo successfully. It's probably a lot to do with room size, listening levels and music choice. Maybe if I go down the Ref 3A path I will need to reinforce the bass with a sub but I do accept that ultimately the amp/speaker combination may not work well enough for me.

My current speakers, some 3dB less sensitive do lack bass with my BP amp They go loud enough for me without significant distortion however.
    I will build a Nelson Pass amp at some point which should give me some of the qualities I like in my BP but more oomph.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Adams View Post
    Personally I haven't found the choke input approach to really affect what the amps can drive...More that it affects what you get once you have everything else sorted.

A couple of points

I have found that the matching of gain in the system makes a lot of difference, in particular the input sensitivity of the power amp and gain in the pre amp.

Not sure which version of the power amp you are looking at but they are/were available in both a high and low gain version and this will significantly affect the above...
    Last edited by Avinunca1; 31-05-2018 at 09:34.

I'm Mike.

IMO it’s part of the question; ie, is the Aikido providing sufficient voltage to get full output out of the power amp? I’m unfamiliar with the Aikido design or how much gain it provides…

Personally I would have thought that you wanted the higher gain version?

The point I was trying to make is that I’m not convinced that looking at watts and db alone is necessarily a great indicator of a good match between amp and speakers as there are so many other factors and Ive found that as well as needing an amplifier that can deal with the requirements of a speaker you also need to match the gain within the system to get good results.

Whether you will be happy with it is going to depend…you can get away with all sorts but eventually it may be musically unsatisfying or restrictive. Regardless of anyone else’s opinion this is going to come down to you at the end of the day and I guess the only way to know is to try…
    StSt Motus DQ + SME 312 'MB Special'
    Transfix Axia / HM7
    Art Audio Vinyl 1 Ref
    Modified Mac Mini/Weiss DAC 202
    SJS Model 2
    BP P20 (SJS upgraded)
    Trenner and Friedl RA
    [/SIZE]

I'm Edward.

I have Ref 3A De Capos but no SE amp. However for what it is worth I've run the Ref 3As with a Radford STA25, a Sugden Masterclass and a prototype KT88/EL34 PP amp. The Ref 3As sing beautifully with great imaging and scale - even at low vol.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Michael.

I've bought the De Capos and they are as Craig says A Mazing!
    Running them with my Leak Stereo 20. Need to sort a problem out on the BP before I can try it. In Stereophile the reviewer was using an AN Kit one. The review , like all the others I've read was glowing with praise for the speakers. Just need to sort proper stands out.

I'm gordan.

My fav small boxes, amazing with Pass Labs Aleph 30. Probably even better with toobs.
    Gordan.
    Speakers: Oris Swing MkII
    Amps: Thomas Mayer 300b/ Hiraga La Maison de L'Audiophile 20
    Preamp: Silver AVC by eng. Ferenc Lazar
    Phono Preamp: Shishido LCR by Solaja Audio
    Decks: Garrard 301 Martin Bastin reworked/plinthed with Fidelity Research FR64fx
    Garrard 401 in eng Ferenc Lazar solid wenge plinth with SME 3012/2
    Cartridges: SPU Spirit/ Koetsu Black revisited by eng. Salai/ Miyajima Shilabe
    Step Up Transformers: Tango MCT 999/ Ortofon T-5000/ Lumiere SUT
    Digital: Shigaclone by eng. Ferenc Lazar with Lampizator Amber II
    Wires: of sufficient length

I'm Michael.

I will probably build a Pass M2 having heard favourable reports for the pairing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast