+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Slow Forum?

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

yep,
    same here!!!
    A...
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm David.

shit here too.. maybe you need to find someone else to host it for you
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm Mark.

I'm Nobody.

Ive had an ongoing thing where i read a PM, sign off but on re-signing the same message comes thru again.

I'm Nick.

I've been having the same issues. It's definitely a server issue, and seems worse in the morning, though there's no real rhyme or reason to when it slows down... we will need to riase a ticket with Bluehosts but I know Steve has been in touch with the recently about another issue and their 'budget' support package shows My guess is we're either sharing a box with another high traffic site, or there's some shared infrastruxcture in their datacentre that is causing a bottleneck.

It's not good
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm Mark.

Its not the server ( IMHO), its packet loss on the way to or from the server,

I will post some screenshots in a few minutes.

I'm Mark.

A few screenshots of traceroutes.

Traceroutes created with the free version of 3d traceroute http://www.d3tr.de/
    in 'as List' mode as I dont like the 3D view.

I use that because it's free, if anyone knows any better program let me know

Most of the screenshots captured and uploaded with http://screencap.net/ ( free )

---------------------
    First traceroute of Art of sound forum taken just a few minutes ago:

21 hops and total ping time of about 170ms.

note the 'total loss' on hop 11 washington1.level3.net

another from 25th March:

loss at hop 16 and 17 Denver1.level3.net
    note the ping time as high as 589 ms total sometimes.

another one from the same day:

lots of packet loss.

-------------------

an example of a fast and probably expensive hosting at www.avforums.com

only 9 hops and a total ping time of 18 ms. WOW

That is with global gold.
    http://www.globalgold.co.uk/

-------

My own website on a server with www.1and1.co.uk

10 hops and 31 ms fastest, some slow pings though on the first few hops at my ISP.

----------------------

A really cheap host that I have heard people suggest but never used myself is streamline http://www.streamline.net/

I found a furniture website http://www.furnitureworldcornwall.co.uk/ that is using streamline hosting as an example of a traceroute from streamline service:

10 hops and 24ms and thats a very cheap service.
    Looks like streamline.net use fasthosts.net.uk

-----------

The number of hops to bluehosts ( level3.net) looks too many and it is very slow.

A forum mentions a few problems here recently:
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=932094

I would look at moving to a faster service with less hops, Streamline would be my favourite for a low cost option to try or go for it with global gold on the low cost package if that is enough.
    http://www.globalgold.co.uk/dedicate...m_hosting.html

Hope that helps a bit

(I am not a network expert, just a beginner )

Mark.

MartinT Guest

Nice one, Mark, and agreed. From work, I can see all the pings from Washington1.Level3.net onwards have slow pings and display some packet loss. It's not even as bad now as it was this morning, I will double-check tomorrow.

I'm Nick.

Excellent info Mark - thank you very much. Some real data to support thinking on a change of hosts. Not a trivial thing to do but definitely something we need to start considering seriously.
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Excellent info Mark...
    Indeed - *IF* you can make head or tail of it!

Could someone explain in layman's terms what the feck "packet loss" is and why lots of it is bad?

Also, who's to blame for the packet loss - Bluehost or what/whom... What causes it, and how do we remedy it?

I'm afraid all this technical mumbo-jumbo goes WHOOOOSH............ straight over the top of my head!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast