+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Proac Studio1 speakers with Target stands

I'm Kev.

Default Review

Try "HiFi Heretic #9, June 1988"

I've tried to upload the scans but gave up!

Kev
    Kev

I'm Edward.

So Kev sent me a copy of the review which is pictured below.

Based on this review I would say that what Pete (losepete) is asking for is way below what they are worth and someone will be getting a stunning bargain.

Here is a link to the PDF file (may be easier to read than the JPGs below).

Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Kev.

Well done
    Kev

I'm Pete.

Thanks for posting the review.

I know that the magazine The Absolute Sound had a review of these speakers in the July 1987 issue and did contact theabsolutesound.com to try and get a copy of the review. However, it seems that they may not have a copy as 8 weeks and several exchanges of email later no review is forthcoming. I guess it is a case of their older magazines have not yet been digitized.

The reasons that I have underpriced these speakers (and stands):-

1] that they are not in 1st class cosmetic condition

2] I want to give someone else the chance to own and use these great speakers

3] they are currently not connected to any system and are just occupying space at home - waste of a great pair of speakers

If the speakers were in better cosmetic condition I would have asked £600 for speakers and stands.

If memory serves correctly these speakers cost just under £800 (Cherry finish was more expensive than standard finishes) with the stands costing around £160 - in 1988. I do remember that I did not have much change from £1000...

Why am I selling these speakers and stands? - after many years of enjoying the Studio1's I recently upgraded to a pair of Proac D20R's which, being a reasonable size floorstanding speaker, do outperform the Studio1's - but at 4 times the cost (£3200) as the Wife insisted on the Rosewood finish.

I doubt that anyone who purchases these speakers will be disappointed with the sound they produce - as long as they do not expect earth-shattering bass from such small speakers.

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by losepete View Post
    Thanks for posting the review.

I know that the magazine The Absolute Sound had a review of these speakers in the July 1987 issue and did contact theabsolutesound.com to try and get a copy of the review. However, it seems that they may not have a copy as 8 weeks and several exchanges of email later no review is forthcoming. I guess it is a case of their older magazines have not yet been digitized.

The reasons that I have underpriced these speakers (and stands):-

1] that they are not in 1st class cosmetic condition

2] I want to give someone else the chance to own and use these great speakers

3] they are currently not connected to any system and are just occupying space at home - waste of a great pair of speakers

If the speakers were in better cosmetic condition I would have asked £600 for speakers and stands.

If memory serves correctly these speakers cost just under £800 (Cherry finish was more expensive than standard finishes) with the stands costing around £160 - in 1988. I do remember that I did not have much change from £1000...

Why am I selling these speakers and stands? - after many years of enjoying the Studio1's I recently upgraded to a pair of Proac D20R's which, being a reasonable size floorstanding speaker, do outperform the Studio1's - but at 4 times the cost (£3200) as the Wife insisted on the Rosewood finish.

I doubt that anyone who purchases these speakers will be disappointed with the sound they produce - as long as they do not expect earth-shattering bass from such small speakers.
    Hi Pete, a mate of mine has asked me to ask you if you'll post these to Glasgow without the stands and how much?

Tony
    Last edited by twotone; 01-08-2018 at 19:17.

I'm Pete.

Hi Tony

I currently have a potential purchaser who I expect to see Thursday afternoon.

If that does not work out I will get back to you but, Sorry, I really would not want to let the speakers go without the stands.

Reason: When originally purchasing these speakers I also spent a little time listening to the speakers on several different stands. These stands enabled the speakers to perform better than any of the other stands tried.

Courier to Glasgow could be expensive as the speakers (and stands) are fairly heavy - will have to try to weigh them and get a price from the courier.

Pete

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by losepete View Post
    Hi Tony

I currently have a potential purchaser who I expect to see Thursday afternoon.

If that does not work out I will get back to you but, Sorry, I really would not want to let the speakers go without the stands.

Reason: When originally purchasing these speakers I also spent a little time listening to the speakers on several different stands. These stands enabled the speakers to perform better than any of the other stands tried.

Courier to Glasgow could be expensive as the speakers (and stands) are fairly heavy - will have to try to weigh them and get a price from the courier.

Pete
    Thanks Pete, I'll pass your comments on

I'm Pete.

These speakers and stands now SOLD - to a trucker, Tibor, from Hungary who likes purchasing classic/vintage HiFi, especially speakers, during his visits to the UK. I also gave him the url of this forum :-)

Thanks to all for their interest.

I'm Mike.

Well done on the sale but a real shame they couldn't have stayed in the UK.
    Less bling, more integrity ©Spenagio

I'm Pete.

I agree - but it is much better to have them in use somewhere in the world rather than sitting in a corner of my dining room doing nothing but occupying space.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast