+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Proac Studio1 speakers with Target stands

I'm Pete.

Default Proac Studio1 speakers with Target stands

Proac Studio1 Cherry finish speakers with dual pillar Target stands

Excellent sounding speakers but they are a little "tatty" with some finish fade to the top of the right speaker, some minor marks to the cabinets including a small chip missing from the veneer on the top of the left speaker and the grilles need recovering.
    The stands could probably do with a fresh coat of paint.
    I have tried to show these imperfections in the photos.

The bass/midrange drivers were replaced in 2010 after a child poked the centres and punctured them.

Some speaker specs:

Size : 8" (204mm) Width x 9.5" (240mm) Depth x 16" (408mm) Height
    Impedance : 8 Ohms
    Frequency Response : 40Hz - 30KHz
    Maximum Input : 100Watts
    Mode : Stand Mounting

The Target stands are 17" (432mm) tall excluding spikes, sand filled dual pillars and provide a good solid platform for the speakers to perform well.
    Tuning Tip: I found these speakers perform best when "blutack" is used to "attach" them to the stands - 2 10mm diameter
    blobs at the front corners and 1 centre rear - rather than using spikes in the stands top plate.

If you are looking for very good inexpensive stand mounted speakers, do not mind a few minor cabinet imperfections and are happy to re-cover the grilles these are probably the speakers and stands you want.

I am happy to include 2 pairs of "speaker binding post extensions" - shown fitted in photos - which make it easier to connect larger cables to these speakers.

I would accept £350 plus P&P if necessary - I much prefer cash on collection although delivery is possible within Greater Manchester/Nearby for fuel contribution.

Photos:

Tatty grille cloth

Fronts without grilles

Left sides of speakers - nearest has minor "dinks"

Right sides of speakers generally good

Right speaker top - finish fade

Left speaker top - veneer chipped near front left corner

Backs of speakers - 1 label faded, 1 damaged otherwise OK

Images of "speaker binding post extensions"
    Left

Right

I'm Pete.

These speakers seem to have had a few views but no responses.

Am I asking too much?

I'm Pete.

Bump

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by losepete View Post
    These speakers seem to have had a few views but no responses.

Am I asking too much?
    Probably more that they are early models and little known.

I'm Pete.

Yes, they are the Mk1 version from around mid 1988.

Still a very good small stand mounted speaker despite their age.

They sound similar to the Proac Tablettes but do not have to be driven as hard/loud to produce a solid detailed musical sound - with a better bass.

I remember reading a review about these speakers in a Brit HiFi mag circa 1987/1988 but Google has failed to turn up any reviews at all... Did find this thread where someone seems happy with the pair they repaired http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...dio-1-speakers

Obviously the asking price is open to discussion...

I'm Edward.

Why not contact Proac? Maybe they can send you a scan of the review(s) for the Studio 1.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Pete.

Good idea, will give it a try.

I'm Pete.

I 'phoned Proac and had a brief chat with a lady in the sales office. She informed me that Proac do not have any reviews of older speakers, mainly all those prior to 2000.

She also suggested offering the speakers on "sales websites, especially ebay as Proac speakers sell well on that site".

She does seem to have missed the point about people not being familiar with these speakers and wanting to see any reviews to give them an idea how well they perform.

I'm Lawrence.

If she didn't have any reviews available she was probably doing her best to help. I imagine they get plenty of calls from people with little knowledge about their speakers and the best ways of selling them.

I'm Pete.

These excellent speakers and stands are still available.

I have been trying to find a review of the speakers and failed miserably.

The few mentions of these speakers found via google seem to indicate that they work very well with valve amplification.
    I cannot confirm this but would not be surprised as they are very good speakers.
    I heard them demo'd using a Quad system. I cannot remember the model of cd preamp and power amp used - possibly 44 with 405 - but they were current Quad models in 1988.
    I used them initially with Meridian 101/105's pre/power where they could only be described as a vast improvement to the Monitor Audio 252 speakers that I had been using.
    Within a year I had upgraded to Meridian 201/205s pre/power which gave a little more detail.
    In 2014 I changed the Meridian 201 pre for a Meridian G01 pre which opened up the sound yet more.

I did notice a little discussion about Proac speakers in this forum which has some relevance see the discussion Proac studio speakers ?? - https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...ighlight=proac

Yes, the Target speaker stands are a heavy stand well suited to these speakers.

I really do need to move these speakers on so I've reduced my asking price to £300

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast