+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hana SL + Technics SL1210mk2 + ? SUT ?

I'm Alexander.

Quote Originally Posted by Audio Al View Post
    I think the burn in may be snake oil

If the cart is set up correctly it will sound good , VTA ,Tracking weight , Azimuth ( if thats how you spell it )
    Also a proper clean record surface is needed , Get these right and Bingo two fat ladies
    And don’t forget that it’s a LO MC cart. So proper loading is very important here.
    Technics SL-1210 Mk2 (Cardas Litz Rewired) +KAB PS-1200GX Power Supply +KAB Delrin-AF Thrust Plate +KAB TD-1200 Fluid Damper +Klotz MC5000 Phono Cable +Hana SL +Audio-Technica LT13s +Cardas 33 AWG PCCE BAC / Cinemag CMQEE-3440AH (25 dB) / Sander'Z MM Tube Phono Stage (Mullard CV4004) / VdH Mainsserver / Audient iD14 USB / Atlas Element A-B USB / Rotel RA-1520 / VdH Mainsstream / Klotz MC5000+VdH The Second / Flux-Sonic Stylus Cleaner / Okki Nokki RCM II / ProAc Tablette 2000 / Atacama 6i Stands

I'm Kevin.

So what is the loading of your cart using your SUTs into your MM phono stage at the moment?
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Alexander.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    So what is the loading of your cart using your SUTs into your MM phono stage at the moment?
    Now according a Cinemag SUT specs (better sound is with HI gain settings):

lo gain:
    input impedance: 600 ohms
    voltage gain: ~9 times = ~19 dB

hi gain:
    input impedance: 150 ohms
    voltage gain: ~18 times = ~25 dB

But I have one more choice with FR XG-5 SUT specs (here I can't decide which gain is more preferable):

Mid - 3-18 ohm (26 dB) 1:20
    High - 18-40 ohm (22 dB) 1:12,6
    Technics SL-1210 Mk2 (Cardas Litz Rewired) +KAB PS-1200GX Power Supply +KAB Delrin-AF Thrust Plate +KAB TD-1200 Fluid Damper +Klotz MC5000 Phono Cable +Hana SL +Audio-Technica LT13s +Cardas 33 AWG PCCE BAC / Cinemag CMQEE-3440AH (25 dB) / Sander'Z MM Tube Phono Stage (Mullard CV4004) / VdH Mainsserver / Audient iD14 USB / Atlas Element A-B USB / Rotel RA-1520 / VdH Mainsstream / Klotz MC5000+VdH The Second / Flux-Sonic Stylus Cleaner / Okki Nokki RCM II / ProAc Tablette 2000 / Atacama 6i Stands

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by indy View Post
    Now according a Cinemag SUT specs (better sound is with HI gain settings):

lo gain:
    input impedance: 600 ohms
    voltage gain: ~9 times = ~19 dB

hi gain:
    input impedance: 150 ohms
    voltage gain: ~18 times = ~25 dB

But I have one more choice with FR XG-5 SUT specs (here I can't decide which gain is more preferable):

Mid - 3-18 ohm (26 dB) 1:20
    High - 18-40 ohm (22 dB) 1:12,6
    What works best is what sounds best. Don't get too hung up on specs.

Regardless of the minutiae of impedance measurements and recommendations, I'd expect this cartridge to sound best out of the options above on the high gain setting of either SUT (both in the region of 1:20 ratio, it would appear) though take care not to overload the MM phono stage. (With a tube phono stage you have more overload flexibility than solid state, so that may not be an issue). My bet on sound quality would be on the FR.

But that's just a guess, go with what your ears tell you.

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Yes I agree with the above, and am keen to know what you think of it, I have a Puresound T10 SUT and Guy Sergeant tells me that the Low ratio setting of 1-18 144 ohms will work very well with the Hana SL.
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Alexander.

Till now I’m use it with Cinemag on Hi gain setting. But the volume is low and normal listening level is on eleven of clockwise. I think it’s too high enough.

I'm Richie.

My SL sounded better and more open at 470R v 120R

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by martian sunrise View Post
    My SL sounded better and more open at 470R v 120R
    Presumably on an active device? SUTs work differently to head amps or adjustable MC phono stages.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12