+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anyone here familiar with EAR 519 monoblocks?

I'm Nick.

Default Anyone here familiar with EAR 519 monoblocks?

Anyone here used EAR 519 monoblocks and have a opinion about them, one way or another?

They are the rackmount version of the 509s, originally made for pro studio use.
    Same valves in a 19" rackmount format, front panel bias. Only difference is "519 amps have a separate screen supply which allows lower supply voltage with 600uf of capacitance" but I'm not sure what that means in practice, except perhaps the valves run cooler and less stressed..? Valves are supposed to last a long time in them. Sound is supposedly very neutral and transparent, not 'warm' and 'valvey'... some even say possibly too revealing/fatiguing for home listening.

I'm Mike.

Have two 509 mark twos here, which take 519 valves (and have 519 valves in them as well as 509s) (at £75 a pop from E.A.R. !) I've no idea of the differences between these amp's and the 519s, but, yes; they are very neutral (i.e. not lush), but revealing and musical nonetheless. Definitely not paint-stripping in the slightest; still the valve sound, but nearer s/s than most. Superb with ESLs, as with most other speakers, as I had gigantic ProAcs before.

I'm Nick.

Thanks for your post.
    Seems the 519s are relatively rare and not so favoured for home use as they have a more low-key 'pro' look plus most people don't have 19" racks in their living rooms. But I would have guessed they sound very much like the 509s, which quite a few people here would be familiar with.

montesquieu Guest

A lot rarer than 509s. As I understand it the main difference is balanced input which you'd expect on pro gear. It may be an optical illusion but the transformers - both mains and output - look bigger in the 519, the 509 monoblocks look big in pics but in real life are tiny. I doubt they sound very different.

In terms of fun/enjoyment, I didn't rate the 509s at all into my then Tannoy 15in Monitor Golds I found them competent but bland, in contrast to many other EAR power amps that I've actively owned or enjoyed (861 - which uses the 509 valve strapped for triode, 534, 890, 899, V20). But the 100w they pump out is robust enough.

I'm Nick.

Thanks Tom - always good to hear your opinion as I know you've been through many an amp looking for 'the sound'. I hope your STA100 will do the business once you have it back...

I was considering the 519s for studio monitoring duties, just because a pair crossed my path... but I'm thinking it's probably not worth it, and I should just stick to decent Bryston SS amps for my studio monitors (PMC nearfields and Tannoy Devons).

montesquieu Guest

Well the 519 are designed for studio use, so could potentially be very good for that - I expect they are pricey though.

+ Reply to Thread