+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Carole King -Tapestry. Which Version?

I'm Oliver.

Default Carole King -Tapestry. Which Version?

Hi all,

Whilst have a general look online for a decent copy of this classic album, I found a thread devoted entirely to it on a forum elsewhere.

The idea being floated was that the MoFi version was easily the best of the rereleases bunch.

Has anyone got a copy of it ? What is your assesment of the quality of pressing? etc.

I normally don't mind paying through the nose for a great copy but 40 seemed a bit mad for a single vinyl version.

Cheers.
    Analogue: Technics SP10 MK2 > Phonomac AT-1010 MK5 tonearm > Ortofon Kontrapunkt b > Wizard Jfet MC Valve Phonostage (Telefunken & Tesla Valves)
    Digital: NONE
    Amplification: Nelson Pass DCB1 & Monarchy Audio SM-70 Class A Amplifier
    Cables: Fisual S-Flex Speaker Cable & SPOTFIRE IC Cables & NEW SPOTFIRE Tonearm cable
    Speakers: Pioneer CS-77A

I'm Grant.

Tapestry ‎(2x12", Album, Ltd, Num, RE, RM, 180) ORG Music, Epic, Ode Records (2) ORGM-1071, 88725408881 US 2012

this one probably but will likely be same price wise but u get 2 records

or the uk version a bit later
    Ode Records (2) ‎– 8843094711, Epic ‎– 8843094711, Legacy ‎– 8843094711, Sony Music ‎– 8843094711 will be good
    Regards,
    Grant ....

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    OPPO BDP-103D DARBEE - JBE SERIES 3/B&O SP1/EMOTIVA XPS1/12V BATTERY - TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK AMPLIFIERS - XIANG SHENG DAC\PRE\HEADPHONE AMP\WE TUBED - TWIN AVANTREE OASIS CLASS 1 BLUETOOTHS - AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 & OPPO PM-3 PLANAR HEADPHONES - WIN10 JRIVER24, SPOTIFY - SMSL M6 MINIDAC - RPI/AUDIOPHONICS/VOLUMIO/5V BATTERY - FULL RANGE TWIN TELEFUNKEN/Q ACOUSTIC BT3/CANTON SUB - P.INSPIRED MAINS REGENERATED.

I'm Paul.

I have the OED 70 heavyweight re-release and while its a great album it does sound like the master tapes used were less than ideal; a little harsh and sibilant at times and the first song sounds like the tape had stretched with age and had a slight flanger-like effect to it.
    ~Paul~

I'm Oliver.

Cheers guys, yes Grant, it's not THAT expensive but I'd rather buy right first time.

Primalsea, can't be happy about that phase effect! Maybe I'll just go for it with the MoFi version.
    Analogue: Technics SP10 MK2 > Phonomac AT-1010 MK5 tonearm > Ortofon Kontrapunkt b > Wizard Jfet MC Valve Phonostage (Telefunken & Tesla Valves)
    Cables: Fisual S-Flex Speaker Cable & SPOTFIRE IC Cables & NEW SPOTFIRE Tonearm cable

I'm jamie.

if i remember right,the 1st pressing have distortion in her vocals,i bought a different pressing and they all sounded the same.
    My System/ Yamaha NS1000M speakers ,Pioneer PLC-590 turntable,Pioneer PA-5000,Alphason HR-100S-MCS,Zeta tonearms,Denon 103SA Cartridge's,Denon HA-500 Head Amp, John Wood KT88 Valve Amp,Sony 700ES Amp,Sony X555ES CD Player, Nakamichi ca5 pre amp ,

I'm Oliver.

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    if i remember right,the 1st pressing have distortion in her vocals,i bought a different pressing and they all sounded the same.
    Ye, I have the first pressing but it's played out and the distortion alone would be an improvement lol.

Location: Out on the wild and windy moors Lancs / Yorks Border

I'm Andy.

I have 3 copies of this record all early copies on A&M (Ode) First Press, Epic (Ode) Green Label first press and finally Epic (Ode) Blue label Third Press (This may be a later repress I am not sure). While I cannot vouch for the two Epic copies as they were bought second hand to try and cure that sibilance problem that existed on my 1971 purchase on A&M. None of them succeeded in curing it, all my copies are similar.

I have never knowingly heard a remaster or a MOFI copy.
    Analogue
    301 / 3012 / 2m black
    401 / PU7 / AT33ev / Highphonics SUT
    Phono 2 + PSU X 2
    Digital
    Vortexbox, SBT / Teac Dac
    Fiio Taishan
    Cambridge CXC
    Amps
    P50sa, Glasshouse TVC or Quad 34/44
    Quad 303; 606 or Bel Canto Set 40 or NG 300B Set Monoblocks
    Speakers
    Tannoy GRF Memory.
    Q Acoustic 3020.

I'm Oliver.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy831 View Post
    I have 3 copies of this record all early copies on A&M (Ode) First Press, Epic (Ode) Green Label first press and finally Epic (Ode) Blue label Third Press (This may be a later repress I am not sure). While I cannot vouch for the two Epic copies as they were bought second hand to try and cure that sibilance problem that existed on my 1971 purchase on A&M. None of them succeeded in curing it, all my copies are similar.

I have never knowingly heard a remaster or a MOFI copy.
    Cheers Andy, I have the A&M version. Terribly veiled sound, worn out grooves but I still love it lol. I won't be rushing in to BB using the MoFi version. Just seeing how opinion rated the various pressings.

I'm Paul.

Actually the copy I have doesn’t so much have a flanger effect at the beginning of the first track, but more like the volume level pulsates as if there was a slow acting compression. I remembered the issue incorrectly.

Does anyone have it on CD? Would be interesting to see if the CD suffered with the same issue and whether there was a lot of post production work done to solve the issue becuase the problem is with the master tapes, or if the problem is with the pressing tools.
    ~Paul~

I'm Paul.

I just called it up on Amazon Music and it does seem that some Eq has been used to cut the high frequencies. There is just a hint of sibilance and the pulsation of the volume has nearly gone.

I suspect it could be a problem with the orginal recording.
    ~Paul~

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast