+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A Glue For Smoothing Down 5mm Of Corner Veneer?

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    OK, now we have more info this is my strategy.

PVA eliminated, it will not glue vinyl.

Araldite is good, can be used as a bulk filling glue, (where superglue cannot).

Soak the underlying wood in the araladite mix, compress the veneer into position, holding it with a piece of wood, and yes, a hairdryer can also speed up this glue setting time considerably, I have done it often.

It is also worth remembering that araldite is soluble in Meths, and so a meths soaked rag can be used to dissolve off excess.

Do not overdo the heat, the vinyl may melt.
    Yes thankyou as that is now the plan. It will be an Araldite style glue and I cant see any problems. Once I have prepared it by taking enough underlying material out the vinyl should sit down easily in place for glueing

Thanks very much everyone. This has been very theraputic for me and i just wanted to put some thought into it without rushing things.

I'm Steve.

Screwfix does Araldite clear. It's a good quality epoxy and is crystal clear...
    System: Turntable : SP10 MKII slate plinth, Custom Ebony tonearm board, Arm : Fidelity Research FR64s, Cartridge : SPU Royal N. SUT : Lundahl 1:13. Phonostage : Icon Audio, Streaming RPi/Kali reclocker -> I2S -> DSP XO / Pre / 4 DAC's : WAF Najda, 5 Poweramps : 3 x EL84 SET's, 2 x D class amps on bass channels, Speakers : 5 way front loaded horn system: 2 X Tapped sub 15" LF drivers / 2 X Exponential mid bass 15" drivers / Tractrix 200Hz mid horns with JBL2482's, / Tractrix 550Hz upper wooden horns with factory refurb'd Vitavox S2's / Raal Lazy Ribbons as high frequency tweeters. Wires: good silver or good copper where best suited. DIY RCM.

Maker of tonearm boards, armpods, Tannoy GRF style speaker cabinets, horn speakers, counterweights and more.
    For more information about my creations and products please click below

http://fosworld.wixsite.com/magna-audio & on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/magna_audio/

I'm Martin.

It has responded very well to a warm iron over thick packing paper doubled up.

Its much better now and I have been dabbing black acrylic paint with modellers micro brushes so the corner and back are matched because acrylic is easy to water down and pick/rub off

The iron was key but I have left myself with a shadow crease where I daftly peeled back the vinyl. Its not glued yet so Im going to keep dabbing in filler over the days and then iron it out

I took too much of the underneath off and I should have just ironed it as it was when I peeled it. Its great what a bit of heat does on this vinyl. Its hardy stuff and responds well to moderate heat. the initial bent corner has just ironed out flat

I could have had it nigh on perfect if I had not panicked as I get a bit OCD with these things. A little corner crease on black vinyl is not the end of the world. It is smoothing out and just need a good enough filled surface underneath to iron and smooth it more acrylic in which will dry and mould to the heat

Thanks for all your suggestions. Of all the speakers I didnt want to damage it was these Minstrels as I managed to bring them up from Portsmouth in near mint cabinet condition
    Last edited by Minstrel SE; 22-05-2018 at 23:29.

I'm Grant.

That's good. Thought it might
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Steve.

Happy ending
    System: Turntable : SP10 MKII slate plinth, Custom Ebony tonearm board, Arm : Fidelity Research FR64s, Cartridge : SPU Royal N. SUT : Lundahl 1:13. Phonostage : Icon Audio, Streaming RPi/Kali reclocker -> I2S -> DSP XO / Pre / 4 DAC's : WAF Najda, 5 Poweramps : 3 x EL84 SET's, 2 x D class amps on bass channels, Speakers : 5 way front loaded horn system: 2 X Tapped sub 15" LF drivers / 2 X Exponential mid bass 15" drivers / Tractrix 200Hz mid horns with JBL2482's, / Tractrix 550Hz upper wooden horns with factory refurb'd Vitavox S2's / Raal Lazy Ribbons as high frequency tweeters. Wires: good silver or good copper where best suited. DIY RCM.

Maker of tonearm boards, armpods, Tannoy GRF style speaker cabinets, horn speakers, counterweights and more.
    For more information about my creations and products please click below

http://fosworld.wixsite.com/magna-audio & on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/magna_audio/

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Magna Audio View Post
    Happy ending
    well nearly Im a perfectionist and still have a bit of thinking about liquid fillers. Im so OCD about damaging stuff that I will often make a problem worse than it should have been to fix.

The problem with veneered corners is that if they are damaged it is a job to get them looking as new no matter how minor the damage.

Ah well I will pretend it never happened and get them back on the concrete plinths with crushed velvet frame cover.

They still work well which is the main thing

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123