+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 LastLast

Thread: Phonostage Bake-Off - 08/07/18 - Penkridge *NOW CONFIRMED*

Bigman80 Guest

It was too loud when the swings happened and it needed adjustment.

That's my excuse anyway lol

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    It was too loud when the swings happened and it needed adjustment.

That's my excuse anyway lol
    I know, I would have notched it back a bit too at the same points you did, but I hate having to do that. We might not have needed to if we had more damping in the room I think.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Bigman80 Guest

Yes, we can do better room wise. We had a test LP and could've set the volume from that with a sound level meter. All learning and to be fair, we weren't THAT far out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I know, I would have notched it back a bit too at the same points you did, but I hate having to do that. We might not have needed to if we had more damping in the room I think.

I'm Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Lee,

How much modding have you done to yours? Does your's have the Dual mono PSU, Thorstens Mods, or the Special tight tolerance component pack (I like that) which can be bought from John over in the USA? I got Alan to mod my own clone, I can't believe that it finished 5th!

Andy
    Hi Andy

Prior to the recent mods which Alan has carried out I’m pretty sure from memory it has the Thorsten mods but wouldn’t be 100%, I know it’s got some Black Gate caps and Telefunken valves. I’ll have a look to see what the mods Rabski carried out over on the wam before I brought it from him. I can also confirm what Alan has carried out it’s elevated it to another level
    Vinyl rig 1 - NAS Spacedeck / FR64s / Lab 12 Melto / Denon SUT / Ortofon GM SPU. Vinyl rig 2 Mono Set Up - Lenco GL75 c/w Jelco 750D / AT33 Mono / EAR 834P Modded. Amplifiers - Audio Note Empress Silver / Hattor Passive Pre. Digital - Fanless Mini PC / Lampizator TRP / Linear PSU / Hummingboard Network audio adaptor. Speakers - Horns.pl Mummy's. Cables are Audio Note / Albedo / Furutech Speaker wire. Power conditioner is a Gigawatt PC2 EVO

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    It was in unmodified state at the bake-off Andy, the mods done only today have lifted it a lot. It wouldn't be 5th now.
    HA! Yep I'd have fetched mine but work unfortunately got in the way.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Yes, we can do better room wise. We had a test LP and could've set the volume from that with a sound level meter. All learning and to be fair, we weren't THAT far out.

I was at a bake off and there was proper level matching with a level meter on a tripod. On one swap everyone said 'That's louder' about 2 seconds in. Level was checked again with the gubbins and a mistake had been made. It was about 0.5dB louder and we all heard it right away.

But if you want to do scientific testing you go to a lab, not a bake off.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Bigman80 Guest

Yup. Agreed
    Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I was at a bake off and there was proper level matching with a level meter on a tripod. On one swap everyone said 'That's louder' about 2 seconds in. Level was checked again with the gubbins and a mistake had been made. It was about 0.5dB louder and we all heard it right away.

But if you want to do scientific testing you go to a lab, not a bake off.

I'm Steve.

It’s not hard to level sound.
    Disagree.

A bake off should be fun, and not a proper lab test, but you can always reduce the variables and there are loads of free phone apps for sound.
    Last edited by SAP7; 12-07-2018 at 08:51.

I'm Stoyan.

Hi guys,
    Thanks for organizing this amazing event! It has been an absolute pleasure for me to experience such a big lot of great sounding phono stages. London grammer record was a great finding for me too. Getting the chance to try a few different step up transformers with MY VAS phono stage, took me into the right direction to put together my personal hi fi system. Pairing a VAS with Audio innovations step up transformers is a great match. I would also like to know what interconnect cables have been used.
    Best regards,
    Stoyan

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by audio pills View Post
    Hi guys,
    Thanks for organizing this amazing event! It has been an absolute pleasure for me to experience such a big lot of great sounding phono stages. London grammer record was a great finding for me too. Getting the chance to try a few different step up transformers with MY VAS phono stage, took me into the right direction to put together my personal hi fi system. Pairing a VAS with Audio innovations step up transformers is a great match. I would also like to know what interconnect cables have been used.
    Best regards,
    Stoyan
    Hi Stoyan!!

Glad to hear from you.

Thank you for bringing the VAS to the bakeoff. It was stunningly good. I felt the Audio Innovations SUT really helped with the VAS so if you go in that direction, I think you'll be very happy.

The Interconnects were my own SPOTFIRE cables.

Thread here:

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...7&share_type=t

Plenty of feedback there and there is still a pair out on loan if you want to try them in your own home. Just ask to be added to the loan list.

Oliver.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 LastLast