+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tannoy VX12

I'm Steve.

Default Tannoy VX12

First of all, it has been a long time! Hello everyone!
    I managed to bag a pair of these fantastic speakers locally for just £150! Now I am looking for a good, budget amp to use with them..

They swim... the mark of Satan is upon them. They must hang.

FLAC / WDTV Live / Cambridge Audio / Tannoy VX12

I'm Steve.

Hi Steve,

you have a PM

Regards Steve...
    Turntable; Rega p8
    Cartridge; Alpheta mc
    Phono Stage; Rega Aria, Bigbottle 3 mm/mc
    Amplifier; Rega Elicit
    Speakers; Rega Rx3

I'm Geoff.

You got those for a good price Steve. They were ten times what you paid new. However, have you checked the spec?

Here: http://m.markertek.com/Attachments/S...ifications.pdf

They are not designed to produce deep bass. The drivers are fine, it's the comparatively small cabinet that will limit things. In a big box, they'd really deliver. It would be worth rehousing these.

If you are on a budget, you'd find a Denon PMA-350SE will drive them perfectly and to high levels, the PMA-350SE can be obtained for less than £100. You will need to use 'Speakon' connectors or fit some banana sockets to the boxes.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    You got those for a good price Steve. They were ten times what you paid new. However, have you checked the spec?

Here: http://m.markertek.com/Attachments/S...ifications.pdf

They are not designed to produce deep bass. The drivers are fine, it's the comparatively small cabinet that will limit things. In a big box, they'd really deliver. It would be worth rehousing these.

If you are on a budget, you'd find a Denon PMA-350SE will drive them perfectly and to high levels, the PMA-350SE can be obtained for less than £100. You will need to use 'Speakon' connectors or fit some banana sockets to the boxes.
    Hi! Yes I was aware of the specs before I bought them. They are good enough for now, and as Marco has witnessed I am not afraid to build big cabinets. I will be looking for suitable designs and if you have any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated! Thanks Steve

I'm Geoff.

Within reason, the general rule for cabinets suitable for Tannoy drivers is 'the bigger the better'.

I'd definitely stick with reflex loading with the VX drivers and aim to get the centre of the horn tweeter at ear level when sitting to listen.

Tannoy don't quote the driver model number, but it may be marked on them. If you can locate the T/S parameters, it can help.

Personally, I'd think a box of similar volume to the Berkeley cabinet would be fine, with appropriate port tuning.

I'm Steve.

I am looking for the T/S parameters, and may have to get in touch with Tannoy. I would prefer a narrow, deep cabinet rather than a wide one.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by aquapiranha View Post
    I would prefer a narrow, deep cabinet rather than a wide one.
    Yes, there could be benefits.

I'm matt.

I've got a Woofer Tester 3 that I'm willing to sell for £25. It measures thiele/small parameters In seconds (to measure VAS you will also need a digital scale that measures In fractions of a gram. Mine goes weighs up to 500g) . It's Incredibly easy to use. Just plug It Into a PC or Laptop and follow the very basic Instructions.

I'm only selling because after extended use measuring Inductors, It gives a garbled reading and has to be unplugged and plugged back In again to work. For some reason most, If not all WT3s did that (I've had two). The latest Woofer Tester (DATS V2) Isn't 100% reliable but It's better.

With the results, I could model your current tuning and see what a bigger box and different port tuning would give you.

I'm Steve.

Hi Matt. So, are you saying the device is faulty? Or am I missing something? I am still not sure which direction I will go here with these drivers, one suggestion is that building a cabinet that would improve lose registers will suck out the life of the music!

I'm Geoff.

I can't imagine why it might be thought that improved bass could "suck the life out of the music". The opposite would likely apply in my view.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast