+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: My Ultrasonic Record Cleaner

I'm Spencer.

Default In line filter

I use this 1 micron filter in this housing. While it's a USA vendor, it might give you some ideas and you can find same or similar locally.
    https://www.allfilters.com/

Qty Model # Product Price Amount
    1 HF2-5WHWH12 Hydronix HF2 1/2" White Body, White Flat Cap Housing (for 5" x 2.5" filters) $13.99 $13.99
    6 SDC-25-0501 Hydronix 5" x 2.5" Polypropylene Sediment Filter, 1 Micron $1.50 $9.00

With this filter/housing and a small pump attached to the tank drain and the rubber output hose feeding back into the top of the tank, I run it 24/7. The tank stays clean, and I can clean 50-60 LPs over the course of a couple of months before I drain and refill the tank with a fresh batch of watch & chemicals.
    The Rush Paul articles on audiogon and positive feedback detail the whole process.
    Then with 2 manual spray/vacuum cycles on a modded lazy susan, any soapy residue etc. is removed and you're all set.

It's a lot easier than it sounds to use once you've got it set up. For me the tough part was getting the right parts from a local plumbing supply to connect the hoses to pump and tank drain without leaking. Hint: a little teflon tape is a lifesaver. Cheers,
    Spencer
    Sota Star Sapphire V turntable, SME V, Dynavector XX2, MkII MC cartridge, Nagra BPS battery powered phono stage
    Digital: Server Synology DS415+ / Sonore microRendu / Schiit Audio Gungnir Multibit / Custom Linear Power Supply by Ecco Audio
    Both: BAT VK51SE > Krell FPB-300 amp > Sound Lab A3 ESLs > 50 yr. old ears(left-handed)

I'm Mike.

Nice one Spencer, that's what i've been looking for, out of interest what sort of pump do you use and do you have it running while the ultrasonics are on? btw what the hell is a lazy Susan

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Spencer.

Default Like in Granny's dining room

Hi Jac,

A lazy susan is that spinning wood thing on Granny's dining table: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90074483/
    Just drill a hole for a threaded insert that will allow you to stack a few wide rubber washers(to lift LPs off the wood) and then screw a plastic star knob over the top of the record and the label-protecting plastic disc with o-rings from the VinylStack.
    https://thevinylstack.com/ultrasonic...-cleaning-kit/

The pump I use is this, although anything similar with low power should do the trick: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

To minimize headaches, bring the pump & filter housing with you to the local plumbing supply shop to make sure you get the correct diameter rubber tubing, and any needed adapting hardware, which might vary in size depending on the drain of your particular tank.

On my system page here you can see 3 pics at the bottom of my ultrasonic setup as described, which might be of some assistance.
    https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/133

Cheers.
    Sota Star Sapphire V turntable, SME V, Dynavector XX2, MkII MC cartridge, Nagra BPS battery powered phono stage
    Digital: Server Synology DS415+ / Sonore microRendu / Schiit Audio Gungnir Multibit / Custom Linear Power Supply by Ecco Audio
    Both: BAT VK51SE > Krell FPB-300 amp > Sound Lab A3 ESLs > 50 yr. old ears(left-handed)

I'm Spencer.

Default Take the hose out when cleaning

Sorry forgot to answer your last question; I turn the pump off and remove the hose from the top of the tank when I run it, and then just drop the hose back in, weight it down with the tank lid, and turn it back on after I finish each cleaning session.

I'm Mike.

Thanks for that Spencer, the waste gate on my tank takes a 1/2 inch male connector so my thinking is that i attach the pump directly to the cleaner as it comes with 1/2 inch fittings, i take it that connecting the pump before the filter is the best way to hook things up, although i would imagine that doing it that way will put a fair amount of pressure through the filter canister especially the threaded joints where i guess you take the filter out and the inlet fitting.

looking at your photos, your tank is similar to mine but not identical, i was thinking that i would stick some of these https https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....1D9qaH3M7L.jpg to the back of the tank with epoxy resin which would allow me to run a rigid copper or plastic pipe up the back of the tank

I'm Spencer.

Those look good. Plastic tubing will be easier to clean or change if ever needed.

Pretty sure that the pump must be between drain and filter to function properly.

You are on your way, well done!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I'm Spencer.

Default Progress Jac?

Jac Hawk, Get it up and cleaning yet? Impressions?

I'm Mike.

Not yet Spencer, i've been busy with other things, however when i have time i'll be getting the filter you suggested

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789