+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Spendor D7

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Robert.

Default Spendor D7

Having spent a solid few weeks with the Spendor D7's it's time to feedback.

These replaced the lovely and very inoffensive Mission 752 Freedoms, a speaker that has brought me great musical pleasure over the years, I struggled to let them go as they ticked the main boxes (no pun intended ) for me,

non fatiguing, detailed, musical, great imaging and just got better with every upgrade.

However, with the level of upgrades I've undertaken over the years I sensed that the obvious place for that knats more we audiophiles cant help seeking if we think it's there to be had, would be in the speaker direction. Afterall, i kind of knew now that the humble 752 Freedom's (an audiophile bargain in my view and experience) were now at their max best within current set up.

Enter the D7's. I'd read loads about these after Spendors were recommended to me some years back as a good replacment for the 752's.

So, what are they like ?

Immediate impressions and in comparison to the Freedoms are as follows:

They have a more open delivery, (the 752 Freedoms have an even, slightly in the box presentation)

The D7's are more extended in every area, treble - high hats shimmer far more audibly (nice)

Bass - again, better extended, deep, tuneful, tight

Mids - A strength of the Freedoms, the D7's do not dissapoint dishing out more extended clarity.

Imaging - Spot on I'd say. A strength of the Freedoms, the D7's match them.

Overall and coupled with the above the D7's deliver the music with real clarity and vibrancy. they are fast, detailed and very musical.

They get right inside the recording / music and are thereore in my view accurate too -

Like all genuine hifi-delity tranducers, they give you the recording warts an' all. If the recording is a bit hot, you'll hear / get it.

As I say they do get right inside the recorded music so there are lots of thrills to be had in what they dig out and can reveal, yes they are very revealing of the good bad and ugly - thats hifi in my book.

I'm loving these, they are staying and I can highly recommend the Spendor D7
    Last edited by walpurgis; 11-05-2018 at 19:17.
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Ian.

Hi Robert, glad you like the D7s.

I’ve had mine about a year now and love them too, great sound in a cabinet that looks understated and blends into the background in the lounge. They replaced a pair of much loved LS3/5as that I’ve had for more than 25 years but would never part with.

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr H View Post
    Hi Robert, glad you like the D7s.

I’ve had mine about a year now and love them too, great sound in a cabinet that looks understated and blends into the background in the lounge. They replaced a pair of much loved LS3/5as that I’ve had for more than 25 years but would never part with.
    Totally agree Ian, for me they get right into what has been recorded and serve up all the music, very detailed and good at revealing those seperated out little nuances, lines, timings of phrases and layers you really didnt know were there or played that way.

Although understated in terms of aesthetics, the cabintes do ooze quality, the ral wood veneers are beautifully matched, build quality is excellent.

I was in communication with a hifi dealership recently and when we got onto the subject of the D7's his response I've copied as follows:

'The Spendor D7's are also beautiful speakers. I'm especially impressed with the production quality of Spendor at the moment. Things have stepped up since the new 'A' line was released. I think the cabinets look gorgeous'.

Fab sound, build and looks = a big thumbs up and big grins from me
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Ian.

Yep, I recall thinking that even the spike installation oozed quality, the threads were all silky smooth!

Running Coherent Systems 4d speaker cables at present, which are well matched to the D7s giving a very smooth and natural sound. I was able to audition 6Ds a while back from my local store and they are very likely to be my next major upgrade.

I'm James.

You can never have enough detail Rob, its what brings you closer to the recording. I am always amazed how new technology / gear can reveal stuff you have never heard before even on recordings you know really well.

Welcome to the Spendor club.

+ Reply to Thread