I am on the road for about 7 hours a day at the moment, using a mix of A and B roads. One of those is a very busy A road where, I kid you not there is a pile-up most days. Yesterday there was a 4 car shunt. The road has many joining points and this is where I seek others experience of the cuntishness of today's motorist.

I was taught when I was learning to drive that you should not do anything that would make another motorist, brake harshly, change direction or impede their progress. Hah! it is now the norm (or at least as far I can see) that when they join from a slip road that they just barrel along at warp speed and hope that they don't hit anything already passing the slip road, or that those passing are so shit scared that they veer into the lane to their right and risk getting hit by a car in the "fast" lane. The alternative is that you hit the anchors and risk a rear-ender,

The Driver & Vehicle Standards Agency in their Safe Driving for Life say :-

"Use the slip road to accelerate until your speed matches that of the traffic on the motorway.
Check there’s a suitable gap in the left-hand lane.
Use the Mirrors – Signal – Manoeuvre/Position – Speed – Look (MSM/PSL) routine before you merge onto the motorway.
You must give priority to traffic already on the motorway: don’t force your way into the traffic stream.
Avoid stopping at the end of the slip road unless you’re queuing to join slow-moving traffic".

I was told that if there is not a safe gap that you must stop and not plough on as this is likely to cause a collision. Any one think differently?