+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Driving me (you?) mad.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Rob.

Default Driving me (you?) mad.

I am on the road for about 7 hours a day at the moment, using a mix of A and B roads. One of those is a very busy A road where, I kid you not there is a pile-up most days. Yesterday there was a 4 car shunt. The road has many joining points and this is where I seek others experience of the cuntishness of today's motorist.

I was taught when I was learning to drive that you should not do anything that would make another motorist, brake harshly, change direction or impede their progress. Hah! it is now the norm (or at least as far I can see) that when they join from a slip road that they just barrel along at warp speed and hope that they don't hit anything already passing the slip road, or that those passing are so shit scared that they veer into the lane to their right and risk getting hit by a car in the "fast" lane. The alternative is that you hit the anchors and risk a rear-ender,

The Driver & Vehicle Standards Agency in their Safe Driving for Life say :-

"Use the slip road to accelerate until your speed matches that of the traffic on the motorway.
    Check there’s a suitable gap in the left-hand lane.
    Use the Mirrors – Signal – Manoeuvre/Position – Speed – Look (MSM/PSL) routine before you merge onto the motorway.
    You must give priority to traffic already on the motorway: don’t force your way into the traffic stream.
    Avoid stopping at the end of the slip road unless you’re queuing to join slow-moving traffic".

I was told that if there is not a safe gap that you must stop and not plough on as this is likely to cause a collision. Any one think differently?
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Geoff.

Yeah. Too many ignorant, crap, pushy drivers about. I've had that done to me many times.

I'm Paul.

People not merging with motorway traffic from the slip road properly winds me up too. It’s not just inconsiderate drivers going too fast with no regard for others but also people who don’t speed up to match the other traffic too. The times I have been stuck behind some twat trying to merge with 70 mph traffic while doing only 40 mph.
    ~Paul~

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalsea View Post
    People not merging with motorway traffic from the slip road properly winds me up too. It’s not just inconsiderate drivers going too fast with no regard for others but also people who don’t speed up to match the other traffic too. The times I have been stuck behind some twat trying to merge with 70 mph traffic while doing only 40 mph.
    I have had to come to a near complete halt on a slip road because there was a convoy of three or four trucks doing 60 - 70 mph with very little room between them. Sometimes the slip roads from motorway services are quite short and if any traffic doesn't see you and if clear moves into the centre lane, you don't necessarily have the distance to match speed.

I agree that there are a certain class of drivers who think that the outer line is their natural domain and will just sit there doing 75mph.

The standard of driving these days seems to me to be inversely proportional to the amount of vehicles now on on our roads.
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    The standard of driving these days seems to me to be inversely proportional to the amount of vehicles now on on our roads.
    Very true.

I'm Steve.

A common problem I see is on the A6 going north out of Preston, but it is by no means unique. At various points along this stretch are minor roads on the left, and box junctions are put here so that there are spaces for emerging traffic.

Some cars, and they're usually the larger prestige motors, (yes Range Rover and Audi, I mean you) who barrel along on the outside, then rejoin the queue on one of these junctions, defeating the whole point of them. But then I tell myself that these drivers must be important people if they can afford a car like that, therefore their journey must be more important than mine, and this seems to calm me.

As long as traffic policing continues to rely on technology like Gatso and SPECS cameras, this kind of driving will only get worse.

My solution is threefold:

A lot of these moronic drivers are increasingly relying on drivers safety aids like airbags, lane assist, improved crumple zones etc. encouraging a "fuck you lot, I'm safe in here" attitude. The safer the car, the bigger the moron. The steering wheel airbag should be replaced with a giant steel spike. That should slow 'em down a bit.

Secondly, more money should be put into unmarked traffic cars. There's something very satisfying about seeing a car which has been pulled over by a VW Golf with blue flashing lights.

Thirdly, offenders should have their cars confiscated and replaced with the most bog-basic model in that range. See how important they feel then.
    Last edited by Pigmy Pony; 10-05-2018 at 06:40. Reason: Not woke up yet
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I have had to come to a near complete halt on a slip road because there was a convoy of three or four trucks doing 60 - 70 mph with very little room between them. Sometimes the slip roads from motorway services are quite short and if any traffic doesn't see you and if clear moves into the centre lane, you don't necessarily have the distance to match speed.

I agree that there are a certain class of drivers who think that the outer line is their natural domain and will just sit there doing 75mph.

I like to make sure that there is plenty of space between me and the car in front so I have time to brake in an emergency and it gives cars merging in from slip roads room to pull onto the road. I too have been in the multiple lorry situation, there was four lorries tailgating each other.
    ~Paul~

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalsea View Post
    I like to make sure that there is plenty of space between me and the car in front so I have time to brake in an emergency and it gives cars merging in from slip roads room to pull onto the road. I too have been in the multiple lorry situation, there was four lorries tailgating each other.
    You can tell the ones who tailgate, as they're riding their brakes, constantly on and off them because they haven't given themselves ample time to react.

I, like Paul, leave plenty of space, it makes for a more relaxing drive, and means I hardly ever need brakes on the m-way, except when forced to avoid a dickhead. The only problem is that others see this space as an opportunity to lane-swap, in an attempt to shave a couple of seconds off their journey. When enough people do this, I feel like I'm going backwards.

My brother is the complete opposite, and lifts from him are always er, interesting. Whenever I draw the short straw and have to give him a lift, It stresses me no end. He tries to bully me to use inappropriate lanes, never give way to anyone, deliberately obstruct other cars whom he feels are "taking the piss", and generally all the stuff we're complaining about here. When I don't comply, his favourite phrase is "We're here to make progress, not friends". I'm sure he contributed to my blood pressure problems.

He bought himself a new van in September, and already it looks like a Beirut taxi (always someone else's fault though).
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    You can tell the ones who tailgate, as they're riding their brakes, constantly on and off them because they haven't given themselves ample time to react.

I, like Paul, leave plenty of space, it makes for a more relaxing drive, and means I hardly ever need brakes on the m-way, except when forced to avoid a dickhead. The only problem is that others see this space as an opportunity to lane-swap, in an attempt to shave a couple of seconds off their journey. When enough people do this, I feel like I'm going backwards.

My brother is the complete opposite, and lifts from him are always er, interesting. Whenever I draw the short straw and have to give him a lift, It stresses me no end. He tries to bully me to use inappropriate lanes, never give way to anyone, deliberately obstruct other cars whom he feels are "taking the piss", and generally all the stuff we're complaining about here. When I don't comply, his favourite phrase is "We're here to make progress, not friends". I'm sure he contributed to my blood pressure problems.

He bought himself a new van in September, and already it looks like a Beirut taxi (always someone else's fault though).
    He sounds like a cool dude.

"We're here to make progress, not friends" is especially good, I'm nicking that and using it myself.

Re diving down the closed lane and forcing your way in at the end to avoid queues. I'm all for it. In a long tailback for the Runcorn bridge I failed to persuade one of my brothers to take this course of action despite having about an hour and half to do it (which was handy because he works in banking so I had to explain the concept of the 'Prisoner's Dilemma' in detail).

Anyway the point is if others are doing it then it automatically becomes your best strategy to do it too. It may be ethically wrong but it is logical. And you get home faster.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Edward.

One of the things that really pisses me of are drivers who don't give way to traffic on the right when entering a roundabout. This especially happens when the entry from the right is a minor road. I've lost count the number of times I have had to give way (by braking hard) to a car coming from the left when I was first into the roundabout.

And yes people coming off a slip road into the main traffic can be very scary. Especially boy racers who need to get into the fast lane in one go.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast