+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Champagne dreams on beer money?…maybe

Default Champagne dreams on beer money?…maybe

A glowing report from Scoobs HQ

Only a couple of years ago I was a belt n’ braces Naim user, content at dreaming of the next nac* or *cap etc and then I started hanging around forums like this. Our friend Mr Gromit started a thread titled ‘starting all over again’ …now six months later I’m now looking at and listening to my rather hair-brain collection of new and retro toys.

Background
    Going back to 2000 I bought a used Sony La Scala 1 mini separates system, this was their ‘high end’ offering and may have been the pre-cursor of the brushed steel ‘lifestyle’ look of the mid 90’s onwards. Although I foolishly sold the system, I never forgot the sound that came from the speakers, and have longed for something approaching their magic ever since. As luck has it I recently happened across a lightly used example of one of these now very rare Scala 1 systems on ebay a few weeks ago and bagged it for a snip.

Speakers
    The Scala 1 system originally retailed at £1400 when released in 1994, two thirds of the system cost apparently reflected the active speakers. The active crossover feeds discrete onboard amps equipped with R-core transformers and terminate with 6.5” LF woofer and an electrostatic tweeter. On paper the 50w RMS wont raise many pulses, but interestingly the woofer utilises motional feedback technology, something I initially mistook for a fancy alternative name for rear porting, but on research now understand as an innovative Philips design from the 70’s that reduces distortion and significantly improves LF control and quality from smaller enclosures. I also read that motional feedback designs enjoy an almost cult following, and I’m told if the usual mob were to design a similar active speaker today the cost would be eye-watering? The other thing I like about these speakers is the lack of distracting filters, attenuators and the like around the back, nope – these have just the power inlet and rca socket.

The reality of this for me is exceptionally potent LF, greater in speed and extension than my previous Neat Motive 2, lauded as impressive LF performers themselves. The start/stop quality of cranium crunching bass notes is simply exhilarating, certainly not dry, they have a lovely ‘juicy’ quality that I love. When paired with the electrostatic tweeter the overall sound has sense of dimension, freedom and time to fully articulate. Strings especially, have a sublime rich quality, and the sound of fingers drawn along guitar strings is eerily natural, no previous speaker I have owned have come close to these for involvement and intimacy. I was considering high sensitivity speakers to accompany valve amps to get more intimacy, but I was mindful of comments suggesting such speakers can lack bass punch, and that was something I couldn’t accept. I feel now that I have the best of both worlds with these Sony’s. The phrase ‘Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee’ is a cheesy, but apt description of what I get from these speakers.

New Amp
    Having dipped my toe into valves with the outstanding Puresound p10 phonostage, I have been compelled to throw caution to the wind and dive in.

My new Pre-amp is an integrated valve MM phono & line stage with separate PSU and is based on the Kondo KSL-M7. It was built for me by a chap called Gordon Welford, a ‘garden shed’ audiophile electronics engineer who has been approached by Audionote UK on the back of his designs. I initially dipped my toe in with him by getting my Denon 103pro modded and nuded. This pre is a zero negative feedback design and uses mostly mil spec components…for those who may be interested, here are some descriptions:

pre innards

psu innards

THE LINE PREAMP EMPLOYS AN R-CORE TRANSFORMER A MULLARD MIL-SPEC VALVE RECITIFIER FEEDING A CHOKE INPUT POWER SUPPLY. THE POWER SUPPLY CAPACITORS ARE A TYPE JC MORRISON.

THE POWER SUPPLY CAPACITORS ARE MOUNTED ON A TEFLON BOARD AND THE SHINKOHS ARE SOLDERED DIRECTLY TO THE VALVE SOCKET AND DIRECTLY TO THE POWER SUPPLY CAPACITOR PINS AND THE V-CAPS DIRECTLY FROM THE VALVE SOCKET PINS TO THE SOLID SILVER RCA SOCKETS ALL USING THE BEST SOUNDING SILVER SOLDER.

INTERNAL WIRING IS DEEP CRYOGENICALLY TREATED SILVER INSULATED WITH PURE SILK AND THE RCA SOCKETS ARE ALL SOLID SILVER.

THE ATTENUATOR IS UNUSUAL IT WAS CONCEIVED TO MAXIMISE THE RETRIEVAL OF LOW LEVEL INFORMATION, THE SIGNAL DOES NOT PASS THROUGH A HOST OF RESISTORS AND ATTENUATOR SWITCH CONTACTS OR THE WIPER OF A POTENTIOMETER. INSTEAD THE SIGNAL IS FED THROUGH A SINGLE SHINKOH TANTALUM FILM RESISTOR WHICH IS SOLDERED DIRECTLY TO THE VALVE SOCKET PINS AND DIRCTLY TO THE SILVER WIRING.

To his ears is superior to an original KSL-M7. Of course I wouldn’t have a clue about this, and it means little to me as I am never likely to hear one, let alone afford one, hell I could barely afford the petrol for a return trip to Definitive Audio. The pre has also been closely impedance matched with the power amps in the active speakers.

The KAB modified Technics 1210mk5 is encased in a solid birch plinth and conceals granite and sand, this is coupled to the rack with aerolam and sorbothane to counteract the seismic vibes from the speakers.
    Additional to this the arm has a Zupreme Headshell, Ikeda Soundlabs headshell lead, custom (heavy) counterweight and a hardwired Cardas din plug for a nice clean output. The cable loom from 1210 – SUT/MC headamp - pre-amp is Townshend Isolda DCT300.

The platter is topped by an SDS Isoplatmat and finally a Herbies way excellent2 tt mat.

The power foundation is facilitated by a dedicated mains spur and a Musicworks Megablock Plus.

Last edited by scoobs; 24-05-2008 at 13:37. Reason: extra pics

I'm Guy.

The Pre looks fabulous. Good choice!

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Quote Originally Posted by pure sound View Post
    The Pre looks fabulous. Good choice!
    very nicely made,top job!
    anthony,TD.

I'm Tom.

Nice System!

Very impressed with this technology. Think there is place in today's market for this. Salager is a new company with active technology. I've owned active Meridians for years and they have bested comparable size passive Dynaudio, Sonus Faber, and B&W models auditioned at home with 150W monoblocks. I would have replaced them if they hadn't.
    Hear your music, not your speakers

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Lovely stuff, that pre-amp looks amazing, and I bet those speakers offer lovely crisp top end.

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

Thanks for the feedback fellas. I'm getting a pair of open frame 'PMC' style stands fabricated for the speakers next week, I'm hoping this will improve the lowest bass and release a bit more inner detail. Otherwise I'm getting a lot of music from this rig, the top end has freedom and is much nicer on vinyl where once there was harshness, especially on female vocal.

Can someone take a guess what valves I have in the pre...I'm still a tube newbie, I think they're GEC??
    Nick.

I'm Nick.

Can someone take a guess what valves I have in the pre...I'm still a tube newbie, I think they're GEC??
    Possibly 5751 as I have seen a lot of those with green printing.

But should be easy to check.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Yep, looking good, Scoobsy-boy!

I think the speaker stands should make a pretty substantial difference to your system, particularly in terms of tightening the bass and this should have a positive knock-on effect on the rest of the frequency range.

Is the A23 still doin' the biz?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Hell yeah! The A23 has been a cracking investment. Everything is settling in now, and I'm loving the tubes...I never expected they would sound so funky!
    Nick.

+ Reply to Thread