+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Low Volume from Dual Turntable (via preamp) with Cambridge Audio Amp

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Stephen.

Default Low Volume from Dual Turntable (via preamp) with Cambridge Audio Amp

I have a Dual 505 turntable (which I bought in 1985), connected to a Cambridge Audio Azur 540A amp (which I bought about 8 years ago).

The amp does not have a phono stage, so I have used both a Nad and Berhinger preamp with the Dual, plugged into the DAB inputs on the Azur (I have also tried every other input on the amp).

The volume from the turnable is low and muddy by comparison to the Sony CD player. I need to take the volume up to at least halfway, and usually 2/3rd up on the Azur to hear records. At that point, there is a noticeable hum from the speakers (I presume it's the amp).

I have had conflicting advice, from audiophile friends as to the cause. Some say the amp is the problem, and a hifi dealer told me it was the turntable (this was after I mentioned possibly buying the Rega Planar 1).

I would like to get this sorted, as I'm getting back into listening to vinyl. My speakers are Monitor Audio Bronze 2.

Any help would be welcome.

Stephen

I'm James.

What cartridge is fitted to the Dual?
    Nottingham Analogue Spacedeck / Kuzma Stogi S / Benz Micro Ace S L
    Lenco L-75 / Carl Ellis Plinth / Ortofon AS-212 / Ortofon SPU Classic GM E MkII
    Ortofon ST-7 SUT / Nick G Modded Lentek Head Amp / Croft RIAA

Cambridge Audio CXU / Theta DS Pro Prime

Classé Model 30 / Luxman M-383

Usher Compass X-719

May contain opinions that others find disturbing.

I'm Geoff.

What cartridge is in the Dual?

I'm Stephen.

Thanks guys, the cartridge is an Audio Technica 95e.

I'm Geoff.

That should drive an MM input OK and any of the line level inputs on the amp should work with the phono stage. Is the stylus good? A worn stylus can reduce output.

I'm Stephen.

It's a brand new stylus and cartridge, less than a week old. I changed them both just in case that was the issue, but it sounds the same, low volume and muddy. My Sony CD player is very loud through the same amp.

(BTW Geoff, I seem to have duplicated this thread, below, and can't see how to delete it).

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Valentiaman View Post
    (BTW Geoff, I seem to have duplicated this thread, below, and can't see how to delete it).
    Removed.

I'm Grant.

The 95 only outputs 3.5mv so not the loudest cart around but saying that it shouldnt be low and muddy.. tracks at 2gm aprox and loaded on mm at 47kohm. Make sure if the pre has a mc setting or loading options that you have it on mm and 47k. Also check you have the cart leads on correctly.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    The 95 only outputs 3.5mv so not the loudest cart around but saying that it shouldnt be low and muddy.. tracks at 2gm aprox and loaded on mm at 47kohm. Make sure if the pre has a mc setting or loading options that you have it on mm and 47k. Also check you have the cart leads on correctly.
    I've tried 2 preamps. The Nad is definitely on MM and the Berhingher is only MM. Tracking is at 2gm. Not sure about 47kohm, as I can't see anywhere to set that on the preamps, and I assume they are at the right levels.

I'm Grant.

Got a feeling its not marked on cart so you will need an online diagram to show what colour goes where. Its not same as other carts, if memory serves.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast