+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Do mains cables make a difference??

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by nonuffin View Post
    Let's not confuse a kettle lead with a freebie computer mains cable - they are poles apart.

The kettle lead can deliver a constant current for the kettle to boil, whereas the freebie lead is usually destined for computers and such-like which have considerably less continuous current demands.

In the hi-fi context then a proper *kettle lead* sounds better than a freebie low power *computer lead* which is what is given away for free in the box.
    So if I plug a "computer lead" into a kettle, what may happen?

I'm Dominic.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Indeed. Let's not stray into any form of absolutism or make judgements on people.

Whilst I agree (in part) with Dominic's post, I don't think that the main reason why genuine differences are heard with mains leads, designed for hi-fi purposes, is to do with current delivery, but rather with shielding and reducing noise, such as RFI.

Basically, the more your mains lead acts as an aerial for noise, the worse it will make the equipment it powers sound.

Marco.

I'm just trying to figure out what level of external interference would have the power to penetrate and be induced upon a cable carrying mains voltages, shielding or no shielding.
    CD player = Marantz CD6006
    DAC/pre = Rotel RC 1572
    Power amp = ADA PF201
    Speaks = Quadral Chromium Style 6

I'm Dominic.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    So if I plug a "computer lead" into a kettle, what may happen?
    The fuse should rupture.
    CD player = Marantz CD6006
    DAC/pre = Rotel RC 1572
    Power amp = ADA PF201
    Speaks = Quadral Chromium Style 6

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    A typical kettle takes between about 1.5kW and 3kW. That's a lot more than most hi-fi power amps. It's maybe 100 times as much as a pre-amp or phonostage needs.
    If audiophile mains leads make a difference it's not due simply to their current carrying capacity.
    That's why I asked.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

The mains cables used to power hi-fi equipment are not "kettle leads"! The mains cables for hi-fi are defined by IEC 60320 and are designated C13 (plug) and C14 (socket).
    The mains cables used for kettles are designated C15 and C16 and are designed for "hot conditions".
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_60320
    Sure, calling such a 'kettle lead' is simply a figure of speech, solely in reference to its appearance and the fact that it uses (as old kettles did) an IEC plug.

What I'm referring to is the cheap crap Dominic has mentioned, versus anything that's been designed better (for hi-fi purposes), in the areas he refers to, and specifically which tackles the issue of noise interference, such as RFI, through the introduction of effective shielding.

That is, by definition, a 'mains cable designed for hi-fi purposes'.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Andreas.

Quote Originally Posted by nonuffin View Post
    I'm just trying to figure out what level of external interference would have the power to penetrate and be induced upon a cable carrying mains voltages, shielding or no shielding.
    I'm not convinced there is much of such an effect. Another possible reason why I find bigger differences in my humble Brio than in my Hegel might be that the Brio is very crowded due to its small size. The mains lead sits within a couple of centimeters of all four speaker cables, and the interconnects are not much further away.

A shielded mains lead might not even be advisable unless the radiation of the lead happens to affect nearby low voltage signals, which it likely does in the case of the Brio.

I'm Andrew.

Do you ever feel these threads just keep going around the same old circle?
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

Hi-fi connectors are C13 type. Kettle connectors are C15 type. They're different shapes. A C13 connector will not fit into a socket designed for a C15 connector.
    Lol - now you're just being pedantic!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MasterTape View Post
    I'm not convinced there is much of such an effect.
    Ah - well there we disagree. I think it *can* be significant, and I've experienced the effect many times. It's one of the reasons why so many filters exist on the market to combat it.

So what would you proffer as the reason why the mains lead supplied with your Hegel improved the sound of your Brio - and fairly significantly, too?

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Hugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    As ever in audio, it pays to apply a little lateral thinking!

Marco.

Mmm. I'll have to search out a response as good as the ones for "having an open mind".

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast