+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728

Thread: Do mains cables make a difference??

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Has anyone ever tried Titan audio mains cables?
    I've heard some rather bold claims from a dealer about these, and I'm naturally rather sceptical but I'll keep an open mind.
    Thoughts?
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Dominic.

Quote Originally Posted by chris@panteg View Post
    Has anyone ever tried Titan audio mains cables?
    I've heard some rather bold claims from a dealer about these, and I'm naturally rather sceptical but I'll keep an open mind.
    Thoughts?
    I have. Compared one to an MCRU No 75 and the latter was much better. Well made too.
    CD player = Marantz CD6006
    DAC/pre = Rotel RC 1572
    Power amp = ADA PF201
    Speaks = Quadral Chromium Style 6

I'm Dominic.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    The maths are quite straightforward.

Assume the conductor is copper, which has about 8.5 1028 conduction electrons per m3.
    Each electron carries a charge of 1.6 10-19 Coulombs.

So in a 1 metre length of wire, 1mm in diameter, there are 6.7 1022 conduction electrons with a total charge of about 104 Coulombs.

A current of 1A corresponds to a charge flow rate of 1 Coulomb/second, so at that rate it would take 104seconds for the total conduction charge in 1 metre of conductor (with a diameter of 1mm) to flow past a given point. Thus the average drift velocity is 0.1mm/second.

So for an AC mains current alternating at 50Hz, during the first half cycle of 10ms, the electrons will drift 0.001mm, and in the second half cycle they will drift 0.001mm back again.

However despite the small drift velocity, the individual electrons are subject to thermal excitations and these give the electrons a much higher Fermi velocity of about 1.6 106m/sec, or about 1010 higher than the drift velocity. Despite the high Fermi velocity electrons do not travel at this rate because they undergo collisions and are constantly being deflected from a straight line path. Owing to thermal excitation of the copper atoms, the conduction electrons are deflected because of this interaction. It is this interaction that results in the positive thermal coeffcient of resistance of metals. As the temperature rises so does the vibration of the atoms and the probability of an electron being deflected increases. The mean free path between collisions falls, so the acceleration by the electric field has less effect before the electron is deflecte in more or less random manner. The current produced by a given field falls and this corresponds to a higher resistance.

Electron scattering will also occur due to defects such as impurities and crystal dislocations (grain boundaries). The effect of these can be estimated because they have a far lower temperature dependance than the thermal scattering effect. If the conductor is cooled towards absolute zero, the resistance doesn't fall to zero, but flattens out to a residual value determined by scattering from dislocations and impurities. For oxygen free copper, this residual resistance is about 1/70 (1.4%) of the resistivity at 20deg C; so the impurities make a contribution to the electron scattering of only 1.4%. And even the thermal scattering is low: the mean free path in copper at 20deg C is about 5 10-8m, so on average an electron passes 200 atoms without interaction before being deflected from a straight line path.

To put the impurity scattering effect into perspective, this contributes ~ 1.4% to the overall scattering. So eliminating all impurities and dislocations would only reduce the resistance by 1.4%. A temperature rise of 2 - 3deg C would add more resistance than the elimination of all impurities would remove.

Reducing crystal boundary dislocations (often called grain boundaries) and othe dislocations beyond a certain level is pointless because even if a perfect single crystal is produced, the effect of just bending the wire beyond its elestic limit (where it will spring back to its original shape) will be to create massive dislocations of the crystal structure, so such a perfect structure would be near imposible to maintain in practice.
    Here's an interesting question Barry.

What are the dynamics that occur during arcing when then is no conduction medium except air?

I am and always have been utterly fascinated by lightning and to date I have not seen a comprehensive analysis of how lightning forms or discharges, except for positive and negative electrons accumulating in the atmosphere bulding up huge charges. Then along comes the discovery of Sprites in the upper atmosphere which has thrown a curved ball at the scientists.
    CD player = Marantz CD6006
    DAC/pre = Rotel RC 1572
    Power amp = ADA PF201
    Speaks = Quadral Chromium Style 6

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by nonuffin View Post
    Here's an interesting question Barry.

What are the dynamics that occur during arcing when then is no conduction medium except air?

I am and always have been utterly fascinated by lightning and to date I have not seen a comprehensive analysis of how lightning forms or discharges, except for positive and negative electrons accumulating in the atmosphere bulding up huge charges. Then along comes the discovery of Sprites in the upper atmosphere which has thrown a curved ball at the scientists.
    Sorry - I'm no expert, but you might find the Wikipedia article of interest: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightning

There is some though that naturally occurring radon help with ionisation; which is why lightning strikes at sea are rare.

Mention was made of fulgurites, formed when lightning strikes sady soil. I came across some when I was trekking in Mauritania, and kept them as a souvenir.

'Sprites' are a different phenomenon: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprite_(lightning)
    Barry

I'm simon.

have not read the whole thread but has anyone here got an opinion on "audio grade" fuses??????

mains cables are usually 1m plus in length but these things are no more than an inch!!!!
    DIGITAL:flac/pc/foobar/wasapi>Chord Qutest> Frans' (Solderdude) headphone correction filter>Violectric V200>Senn HD650, Beyer DT1990
    >or Garage 1217 Project Ember (as pre)>Rega Elex-R>Dynaudio M10.
    ANALOGUE: Rega P8>Rega Aria> Rega Elex-R>Dynaudio M10

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by oldson View Post
    have not read the whole thread but has anyone here got an opinion on "audio grade" fuses??????

mains cables are usually 1m plus in length but these things are no more than an inch!!!!
    🤣🤣🤣🤣 god no. Let's not.

I'm Edward.

I know someone who has uber expensive fuses contained in a custom velvet lined box. He dare not use them in case they fuse.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post
    I know someone who has uber expensive fuses contained in a custom velvet lined box. He dare not use them in case they fuse.
    Nothing wrong with that, after all how many penny black collectors stick them on their letters

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post
    or in case they didn't
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by oldson View Post

I have a bunch of 'em in my system, works for me.

One of those tweaks though that I'd only put in once the main parts of your system are sorted, then better interconnects and...ahem...mains cables.

It all makes a difference in my experience, just depends how deep down the rabbit hole you wish to go.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 10-06-2018 at 07:42.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728