That's very true. We are all mad
Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
The joy of anything subjective (like perceived sound quality) is that it doesn't matter that you are fooling yourself, unless fooling yourself makes the experience worse.

I tried putting those little washing machine feet under a solid state power amp once. Simple, cheap tweak. I quickly took them out again, I was convinced that the sound was subtly worse. Convinced enough to get up, walk the length of the room and remove them. Then I was convinced it sounded better without them. And I mean I was convinced. However at the same time I also know that feet in or out it is not affecting the performance of the power amp one jot. There is zero rational explanation for there being a real effect. Yet I could not help hearing the sound subtly change for the worse with the feet in situ.

And bear in mind this was supposed to be a positive tweak, albeit a silly one. My expectation was that I would hear no difference.

It isn't the hobby that is mad it is our brains. They do their own thing. It's scary but it is true.