+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Radford TT100 - the saga begins...?

I'm Nick.

So... here's a quick update. I had the cover off this afternoon and took some pics inside. It all looks quite a mess to me but I don't really know about these things, or what constitutes reasonable condition in an amp of this vintage? Certainly a lot of grime and fluff in there. Maybe someone here could take a look at the pics and tell me what they reckon as to the state of the important bits.
    The loose part rattling around was just a screw. It may have been part of fixing the 4 blue capacitors (I assume) in place, as that whole assembly has come loose and is wobbling about quite freely. The 4 blue tubes were all blue-tacked together presumably to hold them in place. In fact there's quite a lot of blue-tac in evidence inside.
    The chap who sold it to me told me he tried it out by putting a modern plug on it, then replaced the vintage one to 'keep it original'. When I told him I was getting it checked out by a qualified tech to make sure it was working as advertised, he started getting a bit upset and implied I was trying to make trouble (!) and maybe I should just return it to him.
    It's booked in for a visit with David next week. What do you think, should I stick or twist?

IMG_0490w.jpgIMG_0488w.jpgIMG_0491w.jpgIMG_0492w.jpgIMG_0489w.jpg

I'm Alex.

Did you buy on ebay? If so, and sold as used, it must be working, otherwise a refund is in order.

I guess the transformers are the most important parts.
    Spendorman

I'm Andrew.

See what David has to say. The TT is a very rare amp and probably one of the best. It's not a STA100 but a later update if you like. My Sondex S100 is another update from your TT100 and my Sondex ain't going anywhere so it migfrht be worth while getting a report from David, use this as a bargaining chip and see if you can get some more money from the seller, it may just pay for your repairs (if you need them). There should be NO blutack in that amp whatsoever.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Edward.

Hopefully the transformers are still good to go. But even then Will at Radford Revival probably still has details of the original windings and can have new ones made up but ££.

Point David to the following page at RR which has schematics etc.

http://www.radfordrevival.co.uk/literature/tt100/
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Paul.

It loks like possible capacitor (4) and resistor (1) replacement, plus a bodged DIY upgrade with the yellow capactitors. Its a 600VDC circuit, so I think your right to get it checked out. I suspect the blue capacitors are replacements that are physically larger than the orginals and didn’t fit in the holders, so a bit of Bluetack was used.

With 600 volts running through there I’m astonished that anyone would do that. Amazing what goes through some peoples heads!
    ~Paul~

I'm Nick.

No. I didn't buy through ebay but I made sure to pay by Paypal with buyer protection (even though seller insisted on Friends & Family, make of that what you will).

I will definitely get it looked at by David before making a decision. As it is i would be nervous about even switching it on, it looks like a fire hazard to me!

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by nickbaba View Post
    No. I didn't buy through ebay but I made sure to pay by Paypal with buyer protection (even though seller insisted on Friends & Family, make of that what you will).

I will definitely get it looked at by David before making a decision. As it is i would be nervous about even switching it on, it looks like a fire hazard to me!
    Best tested with a light bulb is series with the mains, or a variac to bring the voltage up gradually.
    Spendorman

I'm David.

Thanks for all the pointers for circuit diagrams etc guys. I'm looking forward to sorting this one out! And yes what better once sorted to test it on than some Tannoys!
    David

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

I'm Nick.

oooh lovely, David! Hope to hear them one day!

montesquieu Guest

With friends and family you have no protection at all ... though as Andrew says above this is a very rare amp and well worth getting sorted. Will is actually very reasonable when it comes to parts should they be necessary.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast