+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First DIY Project - Amplifier - Initial direction sought

I'm Andy.

Default First DIY Project - Amplifier - Initial direction sought

Hi folks,

After a lot of lurking on here, I've decided to speak up and ask a question! Short version: a lengthy (2 year) and painful divorce has left me in a position where (a) I've had to sell most of my hifi stuff, (b) I'm skint, (c) I'm ready for a new and different challenge and (d) I need an amplifier.

The obvious solution here is to take on a project to build myself one. I was a bit of an electronics hobbyist as a youth, but haven't soldered for many a moon. All I know at the moment is the following:

1. I think I want to build a nice, simple class A/B transistor amp which focuses on quality components rather than features
    2. I'll be plugging a DAC only onto it (which handles inputs) so I really only need one input on the amp - thus saving switching I guess
    3. I'd like to add 2 sets of speak posts as my remaining cables are biwire ones and it will be cheapest to keep them
    4. Ideally, I'd like to be able to upgrade the amp over time
    5. It's for quite a big room (about 20 foot square) and I'm going to be using it with Tannoy Precision 6.2 LEs

I was hoping to start off with a budget of around £300 - what sort of level of performance might I be able to hope for this?

I'm happy to do all the soldering and I could do things like drill cases and stuff. However, I'd rather not make my own PCB if possible.

Can anyone suggest a classic design/an approach/some background reading/web links to get me off on a good footing?

thanks and kind regards,
    Andy

Bigman80 Guest

You'll be looking for a pass type design I'd have thought for bang for buck. Lots of boards on eBay and a whole forum dedicated to them.

I'm Paul.

As it will be your first project for a while the Velleman kits are decent

http://www.velleman.co.uk/contents/e...308_k8060.html

A basic design but do sound rather good. The PCBs are good quality and the instructions are clear. You can also buy the heatsinks that match. There are probably better sounding designs out there but tend to be more complicated and harder to fault find. I have made these in the past and they have a nice beefy sound.
    ~Paul~

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    I though Pass designs tended to be low powered and expensive - or have I got that wrong?
    I don't think the PCBs are expensive and they are very easy to find parts for, I was thinking that they'd be suitable due to the amount of support there would be.

Whether they are low powered or not, I don't know. As we know though, a few watts go a long waybb

I'm Neil.

The Amp Camp Amp kit is back on sale (pre-order) at diyaudiostore

I'm Andy.

Thanks folks. I have to admit that the Amp Camp kit looks great. I'm a bit scared of the pure class A thing but given that the kit is complete, I guess we can surmise that the heatsinks will be appropriately sized! Also, for a first project, it's attractive that everything is included. It's also cool that I could buy another in future and make a pair of monoblocs.

Thanks to everyone who replied. Once the kit arrives I will post up the build. It won't be the standard of some of the DIY'ers here, but I'll do my best

I'm Geoff.

I'll be interested to see how you get on with this Andy, looks like my kind of amp. It take it yours is supplied with a UK spec mains transformer?

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    It take it yours is supplied with a UK spec mains transformer?
    Ignore that. I just looked at the PSU.

I'm Ian.

I'd recommend Tom Christiansen's Modulus amps. https://www.neurochrome.com/ I built the Modulus 86 as my first DIY amp project and Tom's support was first class plus there are several long threads on DIY Audio with lots of ideas etc. He also supplies a BOM for easy ordering from Mouser. Oh, the Modulus 86 also sounds fabulous!

I'm Ian.

Well there's more than one way to skin a cat and there are an awful lot of happy builders over on DIY Audio. http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/chip-...ld-thread.html

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast