Hi folks,

After a lot of lurking on here, I've decided to speak up and ask a question! Short version: a lengthy (2 year) and painful divorce has left me in a position where (a) I've had to sell most of my hifi stuff, (b) I'm skint, (c) I'm ready for a new and different challenge and (d) I need an amplifier.

The obvious solution here is to take on a project to build myself one. I was a bit of an electronics hobbyist as a youth, but haven't soldered for many a moon. All I know at the moment is the following:

1. I think I want to build a nice, simple class A/B transistor amp which focuses on quality components rather than features
2. I'll be plugging a DAC only onto it (which handles inputs) so I really only need one input on the amp - thus saving switching I guess
3. I'd like to add 2 sets of speak posts as my remaining cables are biwire ones and it will be cheapest to keep them
4. Ideally, I'd like to be able to upgrade the amp over time
5. It's for quite a big room (about 20 foot square) and I'm going to be using it with Tannoy Precision 6.2 LEs

I was hoping to start off with a budget of around £300 - what sort of level of performance might I be able to hope for this?

I'm happy to do all the soldering and I could do things like drill cases and stuff. However, I'd rather not make my own PCB if possible.

Can anyone suggest a classic design/an approach/some background reading/web links to get me off on a good footing?

thanks and kind regards,
Andy