+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Qutest and my Digital Weekend.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanzapp View Post
    You could hear a difference? (Non-sarcasm mode engaged )
    Not much difference at all!

I'm Gary.

So...
    dust has settled and its a week later.

Any updates James?
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Brian.

Aye , interested to read your feedback on this James .

I did try a couple of laptops which were pretty good but it all really came together when Gary built me a dedicated server . I still use that same server today , 8 years later
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Gary.

Just a couple of tweaks as time went on and I thought of new stuff to try, glad your still enjoying it mate.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    So...
    dust has settled and its a week later.

Any updates James?

Well I can only reiterate that the InnuOS Server is so important in the digital set up, not only for ease of ripping and its control of all the unwanted noise in the system but also its software interface via IPeng on the iPad is perfect. Switching between the Laptop and Server is like night and day, I would never have assumed there would have been such a massive difference.

As for the Qutest. It becomes an almost invisible part of the system just allowing the recording to come through in all its detail and with such a natural analogue sound. It almost tricks your ear believing your a hearing great analogue until you switch back to vinyl and you then become aware of its slight processing of the music. I am sure this would not be quite as a parent with DAVE or probably the new Hugo TT2! Really DAVE is what you need to give you that total experience with great depth, soundstage, detail and musicality. But at a fraction of the price the Qutest is stunning.

I'm Timothy.

Very nice Jimbo, I also like what the Innuos brings to the table. I had a friend bring his Zen Mk2 over and we hooked it into my LinnenberG Telemann DAC, very nice indeed. Music seems to flow much better, not to mention it is just an easier device to rip/store/maneuver around etc. than my clunky laptop.

I had already planned on getting a Zen anyway, but am currently in a holding pattern on one, as Innuos just announced some new updates for their lineup, which I am sure will be more pricey as well. Will see/hear how this all pans out hopefully very soon, but Innuos is my way forward.

I had been on the fence for some time now with getting back to analog, but after looking at the big picture, this was a no brainer for me.
    Holbo TT-Nag 110-Croft phono/Innuos Zen MK2/LinnenberG Telemann DAC-Preamp/LinnenberG Allegro monoblocs/Duevel Venus/LinnenberG Maestro SE-Senn. 660S DH Labs cabling

Croft Series 7 amps, WLM La Scala, Naim Uniti1, Naim Nait XS3, Naim ND5XS2, Guru Junior

I'm Nat.

I have an older version of your digital source Liv Zen ripper/streamer >> Chord 2Qute put together for less than £1,000 on the used market. I went

through more than two changes though to get there, first I had a Naim ND5XS which became mostly redundant after I added a 2Qute. I then used my

macbook as a player but was a bit underwelmed, next I tried a Rasberry Pi based player and would have probably stayed with that if I could have got my

head around it a bit more, next up was an SOtM 100 mini Player easier to use than the Rasberry but limited access to online straming services although I

believe the new SOtM SMS 200 is much improved. Last I tried the Liv Zen which is the first version of the Innous Zen before they changed names, I

imagine they have also made improvements since my unit was made but it is essentially the same player.

When I got the Liv Zen it was first and foremost to stream Tidal and internet radio the ripper/nas side of things was a bonus although I only had about 50

CD's in the loft but I have started to buy CD's to rip spending no more than £3 inc p&p on each and am building a small collection again but like you my

primary source is vinyl based and although the Liv Zen >> 2Qute is great and very convenient access to endless music it isn't the same.

I'm Alex.

Isn't the Chord Qutest about £1800? If so, then you could also consider the Metrum range of NOS DAC's e.g. Amethyst or Onyx

I'm Gareth.

RRP is £1195 but can be had for less if you phone around.

I'm Alex.

I used the RRP for Hugo by mistake

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast