+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Album Club, May 2018: Family - 'Music in a Doll's House'

I'm Curator.

Default Album Club, May 2018: Family - 'Music in a Doll's House'

The Album Choice for May comes courtesy of Barry with Family’s ‘Music in a Doll’s House’.

As always please listen to the album in its entirety before you comment and/or vote.

Family – ‘Music in a Dolls’s House’

In retrospect ‘Progressive Pop (or Rock)’ gets a fair amount of ‘flack’ as being self-indulgent, ego-driven and maybe ‘bombastic’. These criticisms could certainly apply to some of the emergent groups of the late ‘60s, but not to all; and the album I have chosen is an example of the new genre, which displayed imaginative original thinking as well as good musicianship.

Formed in Leicester in the mid ‘60s, Family were an English group comprising Roger Chapman on vocals, harmonica and tenor sax; John Whitney on guitars; Jim King on tenor and soprano saxophone, harmonica and vocals; Rick Grech on bass guitar, violin and vocals, with Bob Townsend on drums and percussion.

Although not a ‘rock opera’ in any sense, I feel this debut album needs to listened to as a whole; and because of that I’m reluctant to pick out any individual track(s) as my favourite(s).

Maybe not everyone’s ‘cup of tea’, but I hope you enjoy it and perhaps it will encourage you to listen to some of their successive output.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_in_a_Doll%27s_House

I'm Grant.

remember getting it in the day.. my mates brother had it and it introduced me to the gravel of mr chapman... maybe one of the best albums of the year.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Mike.

Wonderful, brilliant album

10/10 from me
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    remember getting it in the day.. my mates brother had it and it introduced me to the gravel of mr chapman... maybe one of the best albums of the year.
    I always thought Chappo sounded like a goat with a thistle up its ......oh, never mind

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Len Co View Post
    I always thought Chappo sounded like a goat with a thistle up its ......oh, never mind
    Wouldn't really argue with that. In fact his 'singing' degraded into little more than screeching as time went on. Interestingly, IMO his voice improved on the 'Streetwalkers' albums, post Family.

Even so, I think the first four of Family's albums are excellent.
    Barry

I'm Grant.

Yup his voice went bad in his solo career.

Anyway. Me and my friend and old songs new songs are stand outs. One of reprises first rock albums and did well in charts
    9/10
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm David.

My favourite Family album 9/10

I'm Grant.

also caused the white album to be thus named "The Beatles" as it was to be named similarly to this
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Ian.

I've had a couple of listens to this album now and it's really grown on me. I've got a copy on it's way to me now. 9/10
    Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Van Damme cable with MS Starline plugs/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/modified Musical Fidelity X-DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Denon HA-500 head amp/Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Chinese passive RVC/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Mordaunt Short Signifer on original factory stands
    Cables
    Mogami with Rean Neutrik plugs/NVA LS5
    Headphones
    Sennheiser HD600/Sennheiser HD650/Koss Pro4 AA

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Wouldn't really argue with that. In fact his 'singing' degraded into little more than screeching as time went on. Interestingly, IMO his voice improved on the 'Streetwalkers' albums, post Family.

Even so, I think the first four of Family's albums are excellent.
    I have a few Streetwalkers albums, but never warmed to his rather odd vocal style. I might have music in a dolls house, will need to go look.
    Regards Neil

+ Reply to Thread