+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: what makes a good headshell?

Bigman80 Guest

The AT1010 uses a chuck type attachment and it's very very secure. It makes solid contact between pins. It's the best arm I've owned (and about to get better) regardless of headshell.

Jamie, has just bought a Pioneer arm with a removable headshell and it's not come off his TT either, replacing a Zeta and an Alphasson. Both of those had been rewired too!

Its not the headshell being attached or one piece arm/headshell that matters. It's the damping properties, bearings and tonearm wire connections that matter. Get that right and your laughing. Soldered or pressure connection, hasn't made a blind bit of difference in my system. The arms limitations have been the biggest factor.

IMO.

I'm Deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    SME haven't abandoned it it's currently used on several of their arms.

Where's the evidence that the sound is compromised? Some of the best arms in the world have a removable headshell. (And some of them don't).

Your opinion has no evidence behind it.
    If you look at the SME range, those aimed at highest performance either have a fixed headshell or a much more mechanically inert design. Look, you clearly want to believe a different point of view so I won't waste further time. My opinion has plenty of evidence behind it in the sense that adding a mechanical joint at the headshell impacts upon the transference of vibration - how much you consider this an issue is up to you but don't pretend it doesn't exist!
    Account Deleted

I'm Adam.

I think the most important thing to consider regarding a headshell, is whether it looks nice or not.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    I think the most important thing to consider regarding a headshell, is whether it looks nice or not.
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    If you look at the SME range, those aimed at highest performance either have a fixed headshell or a much more mechanically inert design. Look, you clearly want to believe a different point of view so I won't waste further time. My opinion has plenty of evidence behind it in the sense that adding a mechanical joint at the headshell impacts upon the transference of vibration - how much you consider this an issue is up to you but don't pretend it doesn't exist!
    Highest performance? I'd take either of my Ikedas or my AT-1503 over an SME V any day of the week. Likewise something like a Glanz.

Can you point to the evidence please if there's plenty of it. All I've read so far is opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post

Its not the headshell being attached or one piece arm/headshell that matters. It's the damping properties, bearings and tonearm wire connections that matter. Get that right and your laughing. Soldered or pressure connection, hasn't made a blind bit of difference in my system. The arms limitations have been the biggest factor.

Quite.

I'm Hugo.

The audiophile obsessive in me tends to dwell on the ‘unnecessary joint’ theory that Mark outlines above, but in my experience and practice no tonearm is really defined by whether it has a fixed or removable headshell. There is much more to a good sounding tonearm than just this one aspect. Ultimately, I have found, as Tom has, that the most enjoyable and musical sounding tonearms generally have removable headshells, and the added convenience that brings is icing on the cake. For someone who only ever uses one cartridge, swappable headshells might not matter much, but for those of us who listen to stereo and mono using different transducers, convenience is important.

As for what makes the the best headshell, the answer rather depends on mass and cartridge compliance. That said, there are clear differences in sonic character between light alloy, carbon fibre, wood etc, so mass aside, which type is best rather depends on the preferences of the listener. My current favourite is the Timestep ebony headshell, which is moderately heavy at 15g and has a lovely ‘organic’ and natural sound that I find quite alluring. On a practical level, I like multi-adjustable headshells like the Acoustical Systems Arche 5D, which is heavy at 18g and does have a lovely sound character but is ruinously expensive. I’m mulling over a design for a heavy-ish machined alloy headshell with generous cartridge mounting slots, as well as adjustable overhang and azimuth at the collet, to allow for any tonearm alignment oddities.

I'm Geoff.

The pros and cons of removable headshells and fixed examples and one piece arms were researched. I remember the mags delving into this many years ago. No doubt the data is out there if anybody is interested enough (I'm not).

The usual SME/Universal headshell is retained by what is basically a spigot and socket arrangement. This is a reasonable compromise, but that does not alter the fact that this is exactly what it is. A compromise! There are better ways of doing things.

I'm Grant.

on reflection i shouldnt have sold my Yamamoto ebony Headshell HS-1A ... that was a nice thing.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm gordan.

headshells are redundant, use SPU or FR pickups
    Gordan.
    Speakers: Oris Swing MkII
    Amps: Thomas Mayer 300b/ Hiraga La Maison de L'Audiophile 20
    Preamp: Silver AVC by eng. Ferenc Lazar
    Phono Preamp: Shishido LCR by Solaja Audio
    Decks: Garrard 301 Martin Bastin reworked/plinthed with Fidelity Research FR64fx
    Garrard 401 in eng Ferenc Lazar solid wenge plinth with SME 3012/2
    Cartridges: SPU Spirit/ Koetsu Black revisited by eng. Salai/ Miyajima Shilabe
    Step Up Transformers: Tango MCT 999/ Ortofon T-5000/ Lumiere SUT
    Digital: Shigaclone by eng. Ferenc Lazar with Lampizator Amber II
    Wires: of sufficient length

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by anubisgrau View Post
    headshells are redundant, use SPU or FR pickups
    Or use an EMT or any other 'integrated headshell ' cartridge design.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast