+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 28 of 28

Thread: SME acquires Garrard and Loricraft

  1. #21
    Join Date: Jan 2009

    Location: Essex

    Posts: 18,184
    I'm openingabottleofwine.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Would it matter if it was the Chinese? Or the Nicaraguans for that matter?

    There's a few industries who have discovered that whilst people don't care where cheap goods are produced, if they are going to pay a premium for high end products then they want them made in the traditional place by the traditional craftsmen. No-one would pay the same for a BMW made in China instead of Germany, even if they were identical down to the last nut and bolt.

    They want German engineers to make their German car. Even though the actual engineer might be British. Or Slovakian, or whatever. I had a cousin who used to design for Audi-Porsche. Scouse as they come, but he lived and worked in Germany so that's okay. But move Porsche design and production to Merseyside and watch sales drop.

    It's all about perception, not reality.
    I know what you mean: Porsches built in Finland are considered inferior by some to those built in Stuttgart. And Leitz optics assembled in Portugal or Canada are considered to be not quite as good as those assembled in Wetzlar.

    My Sinophobia is partly born of reports of the later versions of the Quad 909 sounding poor, due to inferior Chinese-sourced components (especially the capacitors), but largely of my distaste of the appalling human rights track record of the Chinese state, their annexation of Tibet and their attitude to the use of endangered species in tradition Chinese medicine.
    Have you listened to this month's choice in the Album Club?

    Barry

  2. #22
    Join Date: Feb 2010

    Location: Berkshire, UK

    Posts: 3,166
    I'm Tom.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I know what you mean: Porsches built in Finland are considered inferior by some to those built in Stuttgart. And Leitz optics assembled in Portugal or Canada are considered to be not quite as good as those assembled in Wetzlar.

    My Sinophobia is partly born of reports of the later versions of the Quad 909 sounding poor, due to inferior Chinese-sourced components (especially the capacitors), but largely of my distaste of the appalling human rights track record of the Chinese state, their annexation of Tibet and their attitude to the use of endangered species in tradition Chinese medicine.
    To say nothing of their increasing development of a surveillance state that far surpasses anything in the West, and their disgraceful bullying behaviour over Taiwan.

    I've spent a lot of time over the last 15 years or so in both mainland China and Taiwan and frankly, developments since Xi came to power are quite chilling. Not least in their effects on freedom of speech - you simply won't find a mainlander with any sort of political opinion openly expressed, as a report back can be career ending. We have a lot of East Asian academics through for dinner parties and the difference between the Chinese ones and the Taiwanese ones is frankly enormous - that's not down to 'culture' (much of which is shared, despite the depredations inflicted by the CCP), it's down to a state run using methods of ever-increasing repression and fear. Ten years ago it was nowhere near as bad as this.
    Main: Speakers 'RFC' Tannoy Canterburys / custom crossovers; Amp - Radford STA100; Pre EAR 912; Vinyl: Thorens TD124 MkII + Ikeda IT345-CR1 / Ikeda IT-407 tonearms; Cartridges Stereo - Miyajima Madake, Ortofon SPU Royal N, Ikeda 9C III, SAEC/Excel C3; Mono - Miyajimas - Zero 0.7, Premium 1.0, Sonovox MC-4 1.0, Edison '78' 4.0 conical, and Shure M44 strapped for mono with several Expert Stylus conicals for different eras of 78s; Phono stage and SUT from EAR 912; Esoteric Sound Re-Equalizer for equalisation of early mono and 78, switchable in from tape loop; Digital: Audio Note CDT2/II transport, heavily modded AN Kit DAC + Mutec MC3+USB.

    Study: Speakers - Tannoy DC6; Amp: Pass Aleph 'Mini'; preamp - Firebottle custom; Vinyl: Garrard 401 with AT1503 tonearm and vintage Ortofon SL-15e with matching Ortofon 2-15k SUT; Phono Stage: Firebottle Plus; Digital - Trichord Genesis III CDP + Arcam rBlink; Schiit Multibit DAC.

  3. #23
    Join Date: Mar 2017

    Location: London N2

    Posts: 915
    I'm Edward.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    To say nothing of their increasing development of a surveillance state that far surpasses anything in the West, and their disgraceful bullying behaviour over Taiwan.

    I've spent a lot of time over the last 15 years or so in both mainland China and Taiwan and frankly, developments since Xi came to power are quite chilling. Not least in their effects on freedom of speech - you simply won't find a mainlander with any sort of political opinion openly expressed, as a report back can be career ending. We have a lot of East Asian academics through for dinner parties and the difference between the Chinese ones and the Taiwanese ones is frankly enormous - that's not down to 'culture' (much of which is shared, despite the depredations inflicted by the CCP), it's down to a state run using methods of ever-increasing repression and fear. Ten years ago it was nowhere near as bad as this.
    +1

    Recently I had an in-depth discussion with two Taiwanese academics and once they realised I was open to having a honest discussion regarding mainland China they became very open as to their opinions on what was happening with Xi etc. As you say quite chilling.
    Source: Tidal/Roon
    DAC: Metrum HEX NOS

    Amp: Sugden Masterclass 2018 spec, Radford Revival STA25,
    Speakers: Tannoy Eaton


  4. #24
    Join Date: Aug 2009

    Location: Staffordshire, England

    Posts: 21,598
    I'm Martin.

    Default

    I can see the efficacy in a mass boycott of Chinese goods in order to exert political pressure on a tyrannical regime. But an individual boycott on personal, moral grounds doesn't stack up logically. To be morally consistent you would have to extend your personal boycott to products of all countries with repressive regimes. In which case putting petrol in your car is going to become quite tricky.
    Martin



    Current Lash Up:

    Technics SL1200P CD Player * NVA P90SA passive pre / Krell KSA50S Power amp * JM Lab Electra 926 loudspeakers *


    'This is the sort of music I'd be listening to if I was going shopping for a training bra.'

  5. #25
    Join Date: Feb 2018

    Location: Suffolk, UK

    Posts: 24
    I'm Steve.

    Default

    "British" - based in Britain ?

    Not necessarily owned by a British corporation. Perhaps

  6. #26
    Join Date: Jan 2009

    Location: Essex

    Posts: 18,184
    I'm openingabottleofwine.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I can see the efficacy in a mass boycott of Chinese goods in order to exert political pressure on a tyrannical regime. But an individual boycott on personal, moral grounds doesn't stack up logically. To be morally consistent you would have to extend your personal boycott to products of all countries with repressive regimes. In which case putting petrol in your car is going to become quite tricky.
    Yes I know I'm swimming upstream, but if I have a choice not to buy Chinese-made goods then I will exercise that option: I'm not expecting anyone else to follow suit.

    Clearly I can't do anything about where the petrol in my car comes from, or the fact that Quatar have a majority stake in the airports around London, or the fact that all the butchers in London where my partner lives sell halal meat. That does not mean I'm going to stop driving or use a bus, or fly out of the country. And as for the meat, well I just buy pork, ham, gammon and bacon from a supermarket when in London.
    Have you listened to this month's choice in the Album Club?

    Barry

  7. #27
    Join Date: Dec 2015

    Location: London

    Posts: 24
    I'm Tom.

    Default

    Terry is no longer in the first flush of youth, so this kind of development is to be expected.

    I'll keep an eye out for new products with interest, but given SME prices, without much expectation of buying.

  8. #28
    Join Date: Jul 2009

    Location: Hampshire, UK

    Posts: 2,238
    I'm Buriedunderaloadofturntables.

    Default

    According to the Munich rumour mill (which I only heard second-hand, so don't shoot the messenger!), a new 301 will be in production within a year and they are planning to gradually re-introduce the old classic SME arm models.
    Adam.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123



 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •