+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Crap Weather For May

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Coincidentally, so have I. It started this morning.
    Must have picked mine up yesterday whilst I was out in West Hampstead rooting through charity shops looking for LPs. Was successful: found 10 classical LPs in very good condition for next to nothing, but because it had started out fine I just went out in shirt sleeves, which was in retrospect probably insufficient.

And as someone who enjoys disgustingly rude health, the merest 'sniffle' gets me down.
    Barry

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    As always, there's a country mile between official and actual.
    That was my point. No point in expecting summer weather in May!

If not for the cherry blossoms on me tree, it could easily be October today.
    Yes, same here - not the best. However, that's what life is like in the UK: putting up with changeable weather... Doesn't bother me; I just take it as it comes

Oh, and at least it's safe, and free from earthquakes and hurricanes....

Plus, if I have to choose between sweltering uncomfortably in the heat (as is the case when we experience temperatures here approaching 30°C) , in a country not set-up to manage it properly, and feeling a little cold, the later wins every time!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Must have picked mine up yesterday whilst I was out in West Hampstead rooting through charity shops looking for LPs. Was successful: found 10 classical LPs in very good condition for next to nothing, but because it had started out fine I just went out in shirt sleeves, which was in retrospect probably insufficient.

And as someone who enjoys disgustingly rude health, the merest 'sniffle' gets me down.
    Sorry to hear you've got a cold, Barry, and that's from an empathetic fellow healthy bastard

However, I doubt it was because of going out in shirt sleeves. It's a bit of an 'old wives tale' that you get a cold from being caught in the rain or not wrapping up warmly enough. That might make you more susceptible to catching one, but it won't GIVE you a cold, which is simply virus related - so you have to catch the virus!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Steve.

Absolutely. When it's cold, you can always add layers or turn up the heating. When it's too hot, options are more limited, although cold beer usually helps
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

Absolutely. When it's cold, you can always add layers or turn up the heating. When it's too hot, options are more limited, although cold beer usually helps
    Precisely! And yes, the last bit is also true

Marco.
    Main System

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Sorry to hear you've got a cold, Barry, and that's from an empathetic fellow healthy bastard

However, I doubt it was because of going out in shirt sleeves. It's a bit of an 'old wives tale' that you get a cold from being caught in the rain or not wrapping up warmly enough. That might make you more susceptible to catching one, but it won't GIVE you a cold, which is simply virus related - so you have to catch the virus!

Marco.
    Yes I know - it was just a figure of speech.
    Barry

No worries. So it sounds like you've been building up a nice collection of vinyl, raiding all these charity shops

I've had to stop for a bit, as I'm running out of room!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Steve.

Barry, you seem to do quite well with charity shop finds in your neck of the woods.

A while ago (around 1977), I lent my copy of "Captain Fantastic" to my grandma. A few months later I went to get it back. "It's on the radiogram" she said. It had so much dust on it, it was matt grey.

"Blimey gran, you've got it a bit dusty!"

"Oh it just needs a quick wipe", and she furiously rubbed at it with the sleeve of her cardigan. The sound of the buttons on her cuff rattling on the disc was not music to my ears. I ended up buying a new copy, and re-lent her the old one. But I never told her why.

Even in those days, with my BSR Macdonald turntable, I still had standards.

That old Elton John record was still ten times better than anything I've seen in our charity shops.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

Barry, you seem to do quite well with charity shop finds in your neck of the woods.

A while ago (around 1977), I lent my copy of "Captain Fantastic" to my grandma. A few months later I went to get it back. "It's on the radiogram" she said. It had so much dust on it, it was matt grey.

"Blimey gran, you've got it a bit dusty!"

"Oh it just needs a quick wipe", and she furiously rubbed at it with the sleeve of her cardigan. The sound of the buttons on her cuff rattling on the disc was not music to my ears. I ended up buying a new copy, and re-lent her the old one. But I never told her why.

Even in those days, with my BSR Macdonald turntable, I still had standards.

That old Elton John record was still ten times better than anything I've seen in our charity shops.
    I'm very selective:

The records have to be properly presented (i.e. vertical in a box that is not over stuffed, nor too large so the LPs are leaning against one another at a precarious angle). I won't even look at LPs that are piled one on top of another;

The recording label has to be one I recognise and respect, so most of the major labels will do (Decca, DGG, Philips, EMI etc. plus their subsidiaries, but avoid the 'budget' labels such as SAGA, CfP, and Readers Digest etc.). Sorry I'm a bit of a 'snob' in that regard;

The sleeves have to be in a good, clean condition (not dog-eared, or torn). I don't mind price stickers as they can be removed, but usually avoid LPs where the owner has written on the sleeve or the centre label. I'm not too worried if the sleeve has become unstuck, as that is easily fixed;

I will usually ignore the condition of the inner sleeve as that will be replaced, but if the inner sleeve is missing or crumpled up and lying in the bottom of the 0uter sleeve then I'll most likely reject the LP (for the simple reason as it shows the previous owner has not taken care of it);

Finally I'll carefully inspect the record itself. I'm not bothered by dust as the record will be cleaned, but the surface has to look 'bright' and not dull. Any scratches, no matter how fine (and you need to inspect the record in a good light to see them), will almost certainly cause me to reject the record.

I find that the only records that pass all of the above are of 'classical' music, as previous owners tend to look after them better than owners of more popular genres (bit of a sweeping generalisation maybe, but one born out by experience).

After all that, I may occasionally reject a performance by an unknown soloist or ensemble and/or conductor, but the attraction for me is to experience different performances/interpretation of a composition: sometimes I have stumbled across a recording of a performance by someone unknown to me which has turned out to have been a delightful surprise.

So far, so good - recently I have bought about 30 LPs in very, very good to excellent condition for no more than £1 apiece, but I expect these 'gold seams' will soon be depleted.
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I'm very selective:

The records have to be properly presented (i.e. vertical in a box that is not over stuffed, nor too large so the LPs are leaning against one another at a precarious angle). I won't even look at LPs that are piled one on top of another;

The recording label has to be one I recognise and respect, so most of the major labels will do (Decca, DGG, Philips, EMI etc. plus their subsidiaries, but avoid the 'budget' labels such as SAGA, CfP, and Readers Digest etc.). Sorry I'm a bit of a 'snob' in that regard;

The sleeves have to be in a good, clean condition (not dog-eared, or torn). I don't mind price stickers as they can be removed, but usually avoid LPs where the owner has written on the sleeve or the centre label. I'm not too worried if the sleeve has become unstuck, as that is easily fixed;

I will usually ignore the condition of the inner sleeve as that will be replaced, but if the inner sleeve is missing or crumpled up and lying in the bottom of the 0uter sleeve then I'll most likely reject the LP (for the simple reason as it shows the previous owner has not taken care of it);

Finally I'll carefully inspect the record itself. I'm not bothered by dust as the record will be cleaned, but the surface has to look 'bright' and not dull. Any scratches, no matter how fine (and you need to inspect the record in a good light to see them), will almost certainly cause me to reject the record.
    That's pretty much identical to my selection criteria, although I've got nothing against recordings produced on the SAGA label; indeed I have some excellent ones, so you might wish to re-evaluate that one!

Have a look at when the classical recordings in question (on SAGA) were produced. If they were before the mid 1970s, especially during the late 50s/early 60s, then chances are they'll be superb. Even the Reader's Digest stuff is worth looking at, if the recordings were produced for them by one of the respected labels you mention, which is often the case, if you real the small print....

Also, I *will* go through records piled one on top of another, as they may not have been stored that way for long, and there could be some hidden gems among them, as indeed I've discovered in the past. No, I search thoroughly through *everything* that's there, so I don't miss anything good

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast