Closed Thread
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: SAPBO - Staffordshire Area Phonostage Bakeoff.

I'm Deleted.

I wouldn’t use an spl meter, I would measure from the speaker terminals with a multimeter, any cheap one will do, you don’t need anything special.

Im afraid Stoke is likely a bit far for me but it partly depends on whatever date is chosen .
    Account Deleted

I'm Simon.

Obvious troll is obvious.

Oliver, matching the output levels is a good idea, fixing a cart loading possibly isn't. Different phonostages have different input topologies with different native loading. Far better to allow people to choose the loading they think is best for the cart, and giving them time to fine tune it. Forcing a specific loading onto every stage doesn't match real world conditions of use where the user will likely adjust loading homing in on a preferred value.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus View Post
    Honestly, hifi brings out the hyperbole in people - the most ludicrous statement you've heard today? Well, versatile doesn't mean Simon and Garfunkel AND SOAD sounding good does it? I've only heard the cartridge sounding amazing at or below 100 ohm loading - and it did sound amazing, but versatile means it suits the requirements of every phono stage that will be showcased on the day. Some might not be set to 50 -100 ohms which would be a shame. However, they could just listen to your rig all day instead.
    I'm not sure what your issue is, Cyrus. You've been passively aggressive about this bakeoff all day, what's your deal?

It's an average cartridge in terms of output, loading, body weight, height and about any other specification you want to look at. It's DESIGNED to work with nearly any SUT or head amp and compatible with ANY phono stage I've looked at and i have looked into the ones on offer here. FFS surely Ortofon would've considered how to sell as many of them as possible and not make them difficult to pair up, don't you think?

The Kontrapunkt is what I have available to me and as with the rest of the system, if something better is offered, it can go in.

Bigman80 Guest

Oh, and for versatility I'd recommend the Hana SL. It would suit a number of different loading values on the multitude of phono stages you'll be testing.

Good luck.
    If you've just recommended a Hana SL over a Kontrapunkt, i suggest you get to the clinic and get your ears cleaned sunshine.

I'm Joe.

Why am I a troll? It's an absolutely relevant question - choosing the right cartridge gives everyone a chance. Please explain why and how I'm trolling, and if you are correct in your assumption I'll apologise and retreat back into the shadows.

Bigman80 Guest

Maybe value in both methods? I'll let a tech mined person handle that bit.

Where about are you? Surely stoke (Middle England) can't be THAT far?
    Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    I wouldn’t use an spl meter, I would measure from the speaker terminals with a multimeter, any cheap one will do, you don’t need anything special.

Im afraid Stoke is likely a bit far for me but it partly depends on whatever date is chosen .

I'm Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    If you've just recommended a Hana SL over a Kontrapunkt, i suggest you get to the clinic and get your ears cleaned sunshine.
    You still don't get it. I don't know why - you are obviously technically savvy but you seem to be focussing on how it sounds to you in your system, which is optimised no doubt. As for passive aggressive - I just don't see it.

Bigman80 Guest

Based on your recent experience at the last meet? I don't mind if people want to vary the loading as i want mine at 220

Would everyone know what to load their phono stage with when using a Kb?

Quote Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
    Obvious troll is obvious.

Oliver, matching the output levels is a good idea, fixing a cart loading possibly isn't. Different phonostages have different input topologies with different native loading. Far better to allow people to choose the loading they think is best for the cart, and giving them time to fine tune it. Forcing a specific loading onto every stage doesn't match real world conditions of use where the user will likely adjust loading homing in on a preferred value.

I'm Ian.

Thanks for organising this Oliver. Stoke is a bit far for me but you never know. As to controlling variables other than the phono stage, well, obviously use the same kit and substitute stages and do your best to keep volumes similar but that should be it. Surely the whole point of this is to enjoy the day and explore how different stages sound. I doubt it is to declare a winner as people naturally have different preferences. Just one problem I can foresee, my valve stage takes a while to fully come on song and I dare say this is true of other stages. How long do you intend giving each stage before (not too) serious listening?
    If I don't come, have a great day and don't listen to knockers!

I'm Gary.

You still don't get it. I don't know why - you are obviously technically savvy but you seem to be focussing on how it sounds to you in your system, which is optimised no doubt. As for passive aggressive - I just don't see it.
    I see it Bigman80, I know I'm "touchy" but really. I'm in awe of your patience .

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast