Closed Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: SAPBO - Staffordshire Area Phonostage Bakeoff.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus View Post
    Wow, hats off to you if you have built your own phono stage. It takes real skill to get it right - there are so many mediocre (or worse) efforts out there.
    I didn't do it all on my own. I had plenty of help!

Bigman80 Guest

I do use 220ohm. Hmm, 100 across the board sounds fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    One thing that also needs continuity is the loading presented to the cartridge.
    I believe Oli uses 220 ohm loading, that's fine for stages that are adjustable and have that particular choice fitted, or stages that use loading plugs that can be used.

If it turns out there are some stages that have, for instance, fixed 100 ohm loading then all adjustable stages need to be set to that.
    Or the decision made that 100 ohm is the de-facto standard.

I'm Deleted.

On the contrary, it seems to me that Oliver has a pretty good idea as to what is required.

What may be worth doing, and somthing I have done when comparing phonostages, is to adjust the output of each one to be similar. All you need to do is quickly play a tone from a test record and measure the voltage at the speaker terminals (very easy to do). So, play the first stage at the volume you want, pop on the test record and measure at the speakers, make a note of the voltage. Then put on each subsequent stage and start by putting on the test record and setting the output voltage to the same as that for the first stage (by adjusting the volume control). This genuinely shouldn’t take more than a couple of mins each time.

'System used will likely be selected from the following components' - doesn't say to me that it's finalised.

Listen, I'm only interested how a bake-off is developed because I wouldn't have the first clue how to satisfy a vast array of owners and equipment. It looks to me that you need to liaise with some veterans of the bake-off to make it a success; they will no doubt be able to advise you.
    Account Deleted

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    On the contrary, it seems to me that Oliver has a pretty good idea as to what is required.

What may be worth doing, and somthing I have done when comparing phonostages, is to adjust the output of each one to be similar. All you need to do is quickly play a tone from a test record and measure the voltage at the speaker terminals (very easy to do). So, play the first stage at the volume you want, pop on the test record and measure at the speakers, make a note of the voltage. Then put on each subsequent stage and start by putting on the test record and setting the output voltage to the same as that for the first stage (by adjusting the volume control). This genuinely shouldn’t take more than a couple of mins each time.
    I can bring my SPL meter, if considered useful?

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder5 View Post
    I can bring my SPL meter, if considered useful?
    Great stuff Gary.

Bigman80 Guest

Thanks mate. At least I've convinced someone i know what I'm doing

Any chance i can rope you into bringing your Paradise????? I'll even let you set the Sound Level

I'm Joe.

Well, I was partly right; the small matter of loading has come up which is what I was getting at with satisfying a vast array of owners and equipment. You don't need something more 'exotic' than a Kontrapunkt B but you might need something more versatile.

Bigman80 Guest

Well, I was partly right; the small matter of loading has come up which is what I was getting at with satisfying a vast array of owners and equipment. You don't need something more 'exotic' than a Kontrapunkt B but you might need something more versatile.
    More versatile? Are you Joking? You must be because that's the most ludicrous statement I've read today. I suppose if you don't like a detailed, timbral, evenhanded, accurate approach to Vinyl reproduction, then i suppose i can see your point.

What would you suggest?

TBF when i play some Simon and Garfunkel it sounds fabulous but when i put some System of a down on its sounds fabulous. Oh, no, that example didn't work

I'm Joe.

Honestly, hifi brings out the hyperbole in people - the most ludicrous statement you've heard today? Well, versatile doesn't mean Simon and Garfunkel AND SOAD sounding good does it? I've only heard the cartridge sounding amazing at or below 100 ohm loading - and it did sound amazing, but versatile means it suits the requirements of every phono stage that will be showcased on the day. Some might not be set to 50 -100 ohms which would be a shame. However, they could just listen to your rig all day instead.

I'm Joe.

Oh, and for versatility I'd recommend the Hana SL. It would suit a number of different loading values on the multitude of phono stages you'll be testing.

Good luck.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast