+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Putting KEF Reference 103.2 back into service - any restoration needed?

I'm Geoff.

The 103.2 is an exceptional speaker IMO
    Main system: Sony TTS8000; AT1010; Audio Technica Art1; The Lentek; Cambridge 851n, Yamaha NS1000.
    System 2 - SBT; Technics SH-X1000 DAC; Denon PMA-850

I'm Svend.

Wow, that's great to hear. Now I'm really getting curious. Might have to keep them for myself, perhaps

As mentioned, they were a poor match for a small Quad power amp in a large room, vaulted ceiling, etc., where the in-laws had them. Just not enough mustard to really make 'em sing. In our smaller living room with bigger amp (Belles) they should fare much better.

I should have them in hand next week when the in-laws come visiting again. Will post back once I've had a good listen.

Cheers,
    Svend

I'm Svend.

Quote Originally Posted by oldius View Post
    The 103.2 is an exceptional speaker IMO
    Geoff, you are right -- this is a very good speaker...perhaps even excellent. I finally got them from my in-laws and hooked them up to my system. First impressions are that they are a bit brighter in the upper registers than our own speakers, but the midrange is very full and rich, and the bass is noticeably deeper and tighter. Another thing I notice is that they sound less unified, a wee bit disjointed between bass, mid, and treble, than our main speakers. But I do need to listen longer, and to more pieces of music, before I pass judgement. I also need to play with placement to see if I can optimize their sound.

The brightness may be coming from the preamp, which is very detailed and a tad unforgiving in the upper end. Or that there is a lot of upholstered furniture around the speakers that may be sucking up all the bass -- gotta play with the room acoustics a bit here, I think. But I would bet the KEFs sound amazing with amps which have a fuller, rounder, warmer sound. I happen to have some Sugden separates waiting for our basement room to be reno'd to set up a second system -- I will hook them up to the KEFs and see how that sounds.

But from a few quick listens in our main system, I really like them! I think with proper placement and the right electronics, I'm sure they would be excellent indeed.

Cheers,
    Svend

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12