+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: Chester Hifi Show 2018

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Wouldn't the loudspeaker designs that have small(ish drivers on a tall narrow front, and large woofers on the sides not potentially provide all the required qualities? i.e. narrow front for less edge dispersion (so better imaging) combined with bass units in a wide baffle for deep bass and slam?

In theory this design should have all the qualities that everyone posting on this thread seems to want.

If I'm being a bit nave be kind to me, I don't normally post on anything technical, due to a paucity of required grey matter
    There's something about having big drivers facing you. Try standing in front of some large JBL's pumping out some slamming bass, then turn them round to face backwards and try again, somehow the gut punching impact will not be there!!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    No I've definitely seen this discussed. And I don't believe it was about the screw heads on the HPD.
    The alloy channels and foam strips on the HPD's are identical to those on the Golds. And the foam definitely covers the screws in both. Of course the foam may have been retained so that Gold users could 'upgrade' their cabinets to HPD's. This may have been desirable for the professional Tannoy market. Those using Lockwood cabinets and others. Tannoy were selling a lot of drivers for studio use and the like back then.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    There's something about having big drivers facing you. Try standing in front of some large JBL's pumping out some slamming bass, then turn them round to face backwards and try again, somehow the gut punching impact will not be there!!
    Of course Geoff, I'd forgotten about that, and I know what you mean, from times when I've been stood in front of a stack at a gig. When you step out of their 'firing line' that 'slam' is greatly reduced.

I seem to have heard positive mentions of JBL's a few times lately, and I remember the credits for 'The Tube' in the 80's used to include Entec/JBL, which at the time I imagined would sound pretty cool. Never heard any, but hope to one day.
    'I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested'

I'm Geoff.

I'd say, size for size Tannoys and JBL's have similar 'wallop'. Being in front of BIG Altecs being given some wellie is an impressive experience too!

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hi Jim,

No I haven't. I'm aware of them, but haven't heard them. I'd certainly listen to the Blades with an open mind, but I doubt they'd be my thing. You never know, though!

Marco.
    I must admit Marco they certainly don't look conventional and give you no idea what they are going to sound like when you are presented with a small point source speaker on the front. I have spent many many hours in front of them and they are simply awesome but they should be for 25,000!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Lol... Thing is, a) I wouldn't dream of spending that amount of money on pair of speakers (save perhaps some vintage JBL Hartsfields), b) I'm not a fan of how most modern speakers are voiced, and c) I hate how they look!

Now, that's not to say, sonically, that the Blades could be the exception to that rule, and I'd happily say so if that were the case after I'd heard them, but I wouldn't hold your breath, as for me, they don't tick any of the right boxes.

Marco.
    http://www.thestainedglasscompany.com

"A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do" -- Milan Kundera.

BE HAPPY EVERYDAY!

I might spend 25k (or perhaps more) on importing these babies from Kenrick Sound in Japan, if we ever move to a bigger house. Check out the video, from delivering to unpacking, to listening them. It's rather enlightening:

When you listen to speakers like that in real life, or those of a similar ilk, through a system that does them justice, and how they reproduce music, it hits you right between the eyes (or rather ears) just what's wrong with the vast majority of today's designs.

Marco.

"A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do" -- Milan Kundera.

BE HAPPY EVERYDAY!

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Lol... Thing is, a) I wouldn't dream of spending that amount of money on pair of speakers (save perhaps some vintage JBL Hartsfields), b) I'm not a fan of how most modern speakers are voiced, and c) I hate how they look!

Now, that's not to say, sonically, that the Blades could be the exception to that rule, and I'd happily say so if that were the case after I'd heard them, but I wouldn't hold your breath, as for me, they don't tick any of the right boxes.

Marco.
    I am with you on looks but sound is fabulous. I would not be able to buy a pair unless I sold my car and a kidney!

I'm Grant.

in that pic they look to be open baffle
    Regards,
    Grant ....

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    OPPO BDP-103D DARBEE - JBE SERIES 3/B&O SP1/EMOTIVA XPS1/12V BATTERY - TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK AMPLIFIERS - XIANG SHENG DAC\PRE\HEADPHONE AMP\WE TUBED - TWIN AVANTREE OASIS CLASS 1 BLUETOOTHS - AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 & OPPO PM-3 PLANAR HEADPHONES - WIN10, AUDIRVANA 3 PLUS, TIDAL - SMSL M6 MINIDAC - RPI/AUDIOPHONICS/VOLUMIO/5V BATTERY - FULL RANGE TWIN TELEFUNKEN/Q ACOUSTIC BT3/CANTON SUB - P.INSPIRED MAINS REGENERATED.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I am with you on looks but sound is fabulous
    Well for you yes, but the jury's out on that for me, until (or if) I hear them.

I think for you to really 'get' where I'm coming from, you'll have to visit and hear my Lockwoods, which are voiced similarly to the Hartsfields, and other top quality speakers from the 50s and 60s.

They have a rather addictive way of making music (and richness of tone), all of their own, which no modern loudspeakers, despite what they're no doubt good, or even better at, than the best vintage varieties, can replicate.

Did you watch the video of the Hartsfields?

Marco.

BE HAPPY EVERYDAY!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast