+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: Chester Hifi Show 2018

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Dunno where you saw that Tom. The foam strips around the cone are gaskets. The Golds were back mounted in their manufacturer's cabinets and the foam sealed them in. The foam became redundant with the front mounted HPD's, but was retained as the alloy channel that holds the strips is what held the cone surrounds in place. No doubt the foam was kept to hide the screw heads.
    Finally had a chance to dig around a bit on this.

Tannoy themselves don't describe them as gaskets, the phrase they use is "....trim rings ... to smooth out the otherwise discontinuous contour to the HF wavefront" - in other words, they are there to deal with diffraction.

Page 14, Section 5 of the Tannoy Monitor Series service manual - this is a later series (NFM and DMT) but the design is common going all the way back http://warehousesound.com/r/tannoyMONITORmanual.pdf

Indeed if you look you can still see a version of these rings (without holes for screws) on the current Legacy series.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Tannoy themselves don't describe them as gaskets, the phrase they use is "....trim rings ... to smooth out the otherwise discontinuous contour to the HF wavefront" - in other words, they are there to deal with diffraction.
    Later model do have 'trim rings'. They are largely cosmetic, dsepite the Tannoy blurb. My Tannoys have them. They are thin plastic rings.

The foam rings on older models were gaskets: http://www.44bx.com/tannoy/HPD_recone.html

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Later model do have 'trim rings'. They are largely cosmetic, dsepite the Tannoy blurb. My Tannoys have them. They are thin plastic rings.

The foam rings on older models were gaskets: http://www.44bx.com/tannoy/HPD_recone.html
    In this specific case just because a bloke on a thread calls them gaskets doesn't mean that they are. I was quoting what Tannoy say about them.

We all know from bitter experience that much of the info on Hans's site is suspect/unverified at best and plain wrong in many cases. One of the reasons people are skeptical about replacing their crossovers is because of a dodgy circuit on there which has misled people for a decade or more (and is still up there despite Hans being told it's wrong, repeatedly, years back). I fell victim to it myself. About the only thing you can really rely on are the pictures.

BTW I just checked with Paul Coupe of RFC and he agreed that they are diffraction rings not gaskets. You are welcome to check with him!
    Last edited by montesquieu; 27-04-2018 at 17:24.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516