Quote Originally Posted by GrahamS View Post
There was a console just inside the entrance to one of the cutting rooms where local productions were cut from the final master tape to lacquer. On the console facia there were two black knobs, marked "Highs" and "Lows" respectively. As a newbie, I asked the cutting engineer what the console was for and he told me, after swearing me to secrecy, that it was for producers to "tweak" the final sound. When I expressed my amazement that anyone would be allowed to interfere with the final lacquer, he told me to open the bottom of the console cabinet and handed me a screwdriver to turn the catches. I did so and looked inside - there were no connections to anything in there and it didn't do a thing to the sound. The cutting engineer explained further that local producers felt that it was their right to oversee any part of their own production and that they would come in to the cutting room when he was cutting their production and insist on "More bass" or More tops." The cutting engineer would invite them to tweak for themselves, using the dummy console.

Everything is subjective...
We did something similar in our office building. The staff were forever saying "I'm too warm" or "I'm too cold" and putting in requests to have the airconditioning highered and lowered. It was a total pain in the ass. So our facility manager says he knows how to get rid of this headache and keep everyone happy at the same time...... we put up termostat controls on the walls around the office area and sent an e-mail around informing people now have direct control over their own office space temperature. People were delighted and there were no more complaints or requests.
The thermostats were of course doing nothing as they were never wired in, just randomly screwed to the wall near the biggest complainers. :-)