+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marco and Macca chez cooky's

I'm frank.

Default Marco and Macca chez cooky's

It was great to welcome you guys yesterday. Despite some pretty average AV amplification ( and a head cold that left me a tad muddy eared)we managed to get a good handle on the capabilities of these 15" DMT drivers in Arden sized cabs. They are smooth, go low and loud cleanly, the DMT Mk2 crossover circuit with some sensible component selection suits these drivers well and I look forward to seeing what Martin eventually decides to build using this excellent 3833/36 Dual Concentric. After a good blast with the Tannoys we retired to the JBL room and just for fun we played some of the same tracks to get an impression of how 2 essentially pro bred loudspeakers go about presenting the same music. I've already commented elsewhere about the JBL's(I'm biased as I built them) but suffice to say we were left with grins on our faces.

Cooky
    Last edited by cooky; 15-04-2018 at 07:17. Reason: Typo

I'm Gary.

Getting together with fellow like minded audio nutters is one of the best parts of the whole hobby for me, and AOS is chock full of those.
    Good to get stuck in!

Met both the guys and they are good eggs.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Martin.

Frank is a proper nut-case enthusiast folks, take it from me. He's got massive Tannoys in the back room and massive JBLs in the front room. The best ones as well (IMO) with the 18 inch bass and the horn loaded compression drivers.

The Tannoys were good, but Frank said the cabs he was using just came with the drivers so they were not ideal and there would be a little bit of drone on the bass, which there was. But it's just a joke when you listen to speakers this size even compared to what I am used to. There's a 'solidity' to the sound that you don't get from much else. Except for

The JBLs in the other room. JBL have done a lot of different designs over the years and I've not heard them all but Frank must have the same taste as me because these are the JBL design I personally prefer. If you don't think music should be visceral, if you don't think the bass guitarist dropping down an octave should be an event in itself, then you probably wouldn't want these speakers. Although it has to be said, the Tannoys did imaging a lot better, even though they were in the 'lesser' room.

I'd still have those JBLs though. Unsurprisingly, Frank wouldn't even open negotiations
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Nice one, Frank. It was an absolute pleasure meeting you again and hearing your excellent system(s)!

Both, for me, whether the Tannoys or JBLs were employed, didn't sound like conventional hi-fi systems, but more like mini-demonstrations of actual musical performances, such was how the speakers in particular took every kind of music in their stride. In that respect, everything sounded natural and effortless.

I loved the JBLs, which were truly a hoot with anything bass-driven, particularly rock and dub music - the AC/DC in particular was just immense!

However, overall I preferred the Tannoys, as for me they're better all-rounders, if (like me) you listen to many different types of music. I like their superior imaging qualities, plus I just dig the dual-concentric way of music-making. As you know Tannoys inside out, you'll know what I mean. However, for getting 'down and dirty' with rock music in particular, quite simply, big JBLs have no peers!

Anyway, I'm sure that Macca will love his Tannoys, when he has them fitted into 'uber Arden' cabs, as planned. Having heard his system the other day and got a handle on how they could sound in his room, I think he'll be in for a nice treat

Nice seeing you again, mate, and you must pop round sometime to hear the Lockwoods with the Copper amp - they rock too, but in a different way from the JBLs. Oh, and cool car, btw. I wouldn't mind a shot in that sometime

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm gone.

No pics?
    I guess there's always Franks avatar for the JBLs.

I'm frank.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Nice one, Frank. It was an absolute pleasure meeting you again and hearing your excellent system(s)!

Both, for me, whether the Tannoys or JBLs were employed, didn't sound like conventional hi-fi systems, but more like mini-demonstrations of actual musical performances, such was how the speakers in particular took every kind of music in their stride. In that respect, everything sounded natural and effortless.

I loved the JBLs, which were truly a hoot with anything bass-driven, particularly rock and dub music - the AC/DC in particular was just immense!

However, overall I preferred the Tannoys, as for me they're better all-rounders, if (like me) you listen to many different types of music. I like their superior imaging qualities, plus I just dig the dual-concentric way of music-making. As you know Tannoys inside out, you'll know what I mean. However, for getting 'down and dirty' with rock music in particular, quite simply, big JBLs have no peers!

Anyway, I'm sure that Macca will love his Tannoys, when he has them fitted into 'uber Arden' cabs, as planned. Having heard his system the other day and got an handle of how they could sound in his room, I think he'll be in for a nice treat

Nice seeing you again, mate, and you must pop round sometime to hear the Lockwoods with the Copper amp - they rock too, but in a different way from the JBLs. Oh, and cool car, btw. I wouldn't mind a shot in that sometime

Marco.
    Thanks Marco, yes I'm inclined to agree, I do love my Tannoys too and concur with your observations on imaging and their 'all round' appeal-they have a British politeness/correctness about them whereas the JBL's are have a pure west coast 'take no prisoners' monitor way of doing things. Ditto on your motor but I may get too many pulls from plod up here in that monster!
    Yes must get down to hear the Majors/copper.

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post

No pics?
    Lol, Jerry, you're right. However it wasn't a bake-off, as such, simply going along to collect the Tannoy drivers Martin had bought

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cooky View Post
    Thanks Marco, yes I'm inclined to agree, I do love my Tannoys too and concur with your observations on imaging and their 'all round' appeal-they have a British politeness/correctness about them whereas the JBL's are have a pure west coast 'take no prisoners' monitor way of doing things. Ditto on your motor but I may get too many pulls from plod up here in that monster!
    Yes must get down to hear the Majors/copper.
    Yeah, both the JBLs and Tannoys have their respective strengths, which they portray very well, and in that respect I agree with your summary.

It was a very interesting and useful demo for me, which helped crystallize my preferences, in case at some point in future I decide to try something different from the Lockwoods, and in that respect, some form of big JBLs would always be in the equation

As an aside, didn't you make a clone version of Everests, or such like, with twin 15" drivers? I seem to recall you did, and played Ian "Madame Medusa', by UB40, which rearranged his intestines to such a degree, that they've never been the same since!!

On your 'JBL travels', as it were, have you ever encountered the Hartsfields? These are from 1955, and tick the retro box for me, big time, as well as sounding superb:

Even on crappy computer speakers, I can almost feel the bass!! Must watch that video through the home-cinema system

Check both vids out, as it shows they can 'boogie', as well as sounding shockingly real!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm frank.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Yeah, both the JBLs and Tannoys have their respective strengths, which they portray very well, and in that respect I agree with your summary.

It was a very interesting and useful demo for me, which helped crystallize my preferences, in case at some point in future I decide to try something different from the Lockwoods, and in that respect, some form of big JBLs would always be in the equation

As an aside, didn't you make a clone version of Everests, or such like, with twin 15" drivers? I seem to recall you did, and played Ian "Madame Medusa', by UB40, which rearranged his intestines to such a degree, that they've never been the same since!!

On your 'JBL travels', as it were, have you ever encountered the Hartsfields? These are from 1955, and tick the retro box for me, big time, as well as sounding superb:

Even on crappy computer speakers, I can almost feel the bass!! Must watch that video through the home-cinema system

Check both vids out, as it shows they can 'boogie', as well as sounding shockingly real!

Marco.
    Hartsfields go for serious money these days, beautiful things, never heard a pair in the flesh. The big JBL/Westlakes came out of PlutoSound studios in Stockport, The Smiths first album was part recorded over them as was Bankrobber by The Clash. I got them for a song but the 4 bass drivers and one comp had to have new dias. Fugly things but man what a sound! Sadly had to part them out in the end.

Frank

I'm frank.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post

No pics?
    These are the Westlake TM1 clones that rearrange Ian's internal organs a few years back ;-)

The JBL's that left an impression on Martin;

The Tannoys(drivers and xover) we listened to and that Martin took home;

Frank

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast