+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Phono pre-amp advice please

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonky View Post
    It's OK; I've more important things to worry about. Consider it closed; I'm not going to make waves!
    R
    Cool... I just wonder how you could've missed the *very blatant* warnings, all over the place at the top of every section. Should've gone to Specsavers?

Anyway, you know now!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

The Nima isn't a bass powerhouse of an arm as I recall and modern AT's *to me* major on clarity up top rather than seismic bass. Lowering the arm a little won't do any harm and I remember how an ARO/Koetsu totally changed the bass with seemingly a minor adjustment here in the downwards direction. It's difficult to get a sense of 'parallel' on a tonearm and a mm or two up at the back may not show for some people. I've now learned to make a correction for how I perceive it and others have confirmed that what looks slight 'tail-down' for me is actually correct to everyone else

With any luck, you can minimise the differences in the two formats so you can have good musically involving sessions with either. Mixing the two in one continuous session I'm not sure - depends on the speakers and room as to which comes first quite often I think
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    The Nima isn't a bass powerhouse of an arm as I recall and modern AT's *to me* major on clarity up top rather than seismic bass. Lowering the arm a little won't do any harm and I remember how an ARO/Koetsu totally changed the bass with seemingly a minor adjustment here in the downwards direction. It's difficult to get a sense of 'parallel' on a tonearm and a mm or two up at the back may not show for some people. I've now learned to make a correction for how I perceive it and others have confirmed that what looks slight 'tail-down' for me is actually correct to everyone else

With any luck, you can minimise the differences in the two formats so you can have good musically involving sessions with either. Mixing the two in one continuous session I'm not sure - depends on the speakers and room as to which comes first quite often I think
    Thanks David; understood.

I'm Richard.

Marco,

A pity you posted this rather than to PM me.

I will send you a PM.

Richard

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Richard,

I wrote what I did because It was necessary. There are announcements posted all over this forum, making it blatantly clear that the company in question, or its products, must NOT be mentioned in any way whatsoever, so it's up to YOU (and everyone else here) to read those announcements/warnings and ABIDE by them.

"Not mentioned in any way whatsoever" (other than in system lists) is completely unambiguous language, so there is no margin for confusion! There have been a few people recently, not just you, who are trying their luck (and my patience) in mentioning what isn't allowed to be mentioned, and I've had enough.

So listen up, EVERYONE.... The very next person to 'ignore' the ruling about the company in question will be BANNED FOR SIX MONTHS, without any further warning. I do hope everyone is paying attention, because when we impose rules here, we insist on FULL compliance from all members. I'll be adding this message to the current announcement later.

Anyway, no more about the matter on this thread, and any of such will be removed without further warning. Let's get back on topic!

Marco.

P.S I'll reply to your PM later.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Richard.

Marco wrote: " Let's get back on topic!"

Yes please!

Marco.

"P.S I'll reply to your PM later."

Thank you.

Richard.
    Last edited by Bonky; 15-04-2018 at 17:41.

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by ianlenco View Post
    One other thing to check is the arm position. Normally it's recommended to get the arm tube parallel to the deck so check it is first. If it is then try lowering the pivot end of the arm, this usually increases the bass. If the headshell end is lower this usually decreases bass, increases treble.

That's a wonderful tip. The bass is now much improved.

Very many thanks,

Richard

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Very many thanks,

Richard
    Wot oi said too - glad it's helped you a bit.

With cartridges like this AT, I found that you can also fine tune the VTA with tracking weight. Even in the lowish compliance Linn Troika/Karma days, 1/10th gramme tracking force either way from the supposedly nominal 1.7g, was supposed to be similar to a 1.5mm approx. movement of the pillar up and down (this according to a senior Linn chap of the time).

I don't know how the AT33 models behave, but the OC9 used to need 1.75g tracking force for the first few hours of use, and then reducing to the recommended 1.5g or so thereafter. The nearest to the current 33's I've used was the limited edition OC30 and this was 'ballsier' right from the off!

For future reference on phono stages, in addition to the £500 approx. one I use here mostly now, I had lovely results with a Puresound P10 I tried once (price may be silly though and it is rather complex) and the E.A.R phono stages always had a warm silky *smoooooth* quality that may be too far the other way
    Last edited by DSJR; 16-04-2018 at 17:38.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Richard.

"Quote Originally Posted by Bonky View Post

Very many thanks,

Richard

Wot oi said too - glad it's helped you a bit."

Yes, sorry, thanks David

I'm Ian.

Very many thanks,

Richard
    Excellent, glad things are improving.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast