+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: HD 4K and soon 8K some home truths

I'm barry.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    Yes both identical, and please explain the difference between OLED and LCD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just done that with my link.

If you contact Vincent Teoh @HDTVtest he will give you a more in-depth explanation. OLED is self-illuminating no backlight, so massive difference in contrast and black level over LCD, viewing angles are superb also.Bring in HDR also and it looks fantastic.

I'm Martin.

An OLED display works without a backlight because it emits visible light. Thus, it can display deep black levels and can be thinner and lighter than a liquid crystal display (LCD). In low ambient light conditions (such as a dark room), an OLED screen can achieve a higher contrast ratio than an LCD, regardless of whether the LCD uses cold cathode fluorescent lamps or an LED backlight.

Says Wikepidia
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Mike.

Mate it’s just the different way they make the light that shines through the colour that makes the picture, ffs I’ve been to LG and Samsung HQ in the UK, spoken to the tech guys there, seen their wallpaper thin screens 3 years ago and their transparent screens too, yes the picture is better with OLED as the light is more accurately manufactured and shone through the LCD colour part of the screen, blacks are better due to more accurate light management and the way the screens are made, but this is the important part, IF YOU DIDN’T HAVE THE LCD COLOUR PART YOU WOULD HAVE NO PICTURE

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm barry.

Mate it’s just the different way they make the light that shines through the colour that makes the picture, ffs I’ve been to LG and Samsung HQ in the UK, spoken to the tech guys there, seen their wallpaper thin screens 3 years ago and their transparent screens too, yes the picture is better with OLED as the light is more accurately manufactured and shone through the LCD colour part of the screen, blacks are better due to more accurate light management and the way the screens are made, but this is the important part, IF YOU DIDN’T HAVE THE LCD COLOUR PART YOU WOULD HAVE NO PICTURE

Sorry I think you have not understood the tech or my link. I have been involved with and calibrating TV's for many years now, also in constant touch with those who help to design the tech. As I say contact HDTVtest, they will help you better understand the tech.

We did a a few Shootouts both here and the US that I think are on (value electronics & HDTVtest) Youtube again some great information there.

Also try AVForums for great info.
    Last edited by Dr Winston O Boogie; 04-11-2018 at 12:52.

I'm Mike.

I understand the tech just fine, you said LCD and OLED are different technologies, I’m saying that OLED uses the LCD to produce the colour just the same as LED tv’s do, but they utilise a better more efficient light source. If I’m wrong tell me how an OLED tv produces colour

I'm barry.

I understand the tech just fine, you said LCD and OLED are different technologies, I’m saying that OLED uses the LCD to produce the colour just the same as LED tv’s do, but they utilise a better more efficient light source. If I’m wrong tell me how an OLED tv produces colour

There is no LCD in OLED tech, OLED is Organic Light Emitting Diodes and no backlight. That is a bit like saying PDP is the same as LCD

This might help

https://www.explainthatstuff.com/how...leps-work.html

I'm Mike.

Mate that explains the difference between LED and OLED nowhere does it say that OLED doesn’t use an LED element to produce the colour

I'm barry.

Mate that explains the difference between LED and OLED nowhere does it say that OLED doesn’t use an LED element to produce the colour

LED and LCD are the same and are a tech separate from OLED. I have provided links explaining the tech to you and the fact you are confusing LCD with OLED, maybe you need to do a little more resarch or again contact the guys I mentioned for a more in depth explanasion.

Here is a basic explanasion also:

"LCD displays are millions of little colored dots laid out in front of a big light called a backlight. This backlight is what lights up the display and makes the colored dots visible. This method's drawback is that even if you have the entire display turn black, it still generates light. You can't make this kind of display “look” off while it's running. One good side of LCD is that it has better power consumption.

OLED displays are also millions of little colored dots. However, unlike LCD, every single dot generates its own source of light. This means that pixels that are black actually turn off. This makes it possible for a display to look like it's off, even if it's running. This is what makes the Always On Display of Samsung phones possible. This kind of display also typically has much better color contrast and looks much more vibrant than LCD displays. One downside is that OLED has higher power consumption."

I'm Mike.

You’re right that you can get OLED TVs that use no LCD in them, they are the roll up wallpaper ones from LG, however you’ll find that most OLED screens still use an LCD colour producing film in front on the OLED as it makes for a longer lasting more reliable product it also makes it cheaper to produce, to put it into perspective a 65” OLED will cost you about £2600 where as the wallpaper OLED is £6000

I'm barry.

You’re right that you can get OLED TVs that use no LCD in them, they are the roll up wallpaper ones from LG, however you’ll find that most OLED screens still use an LCD colour producing film in front on the OLED as it makes for a longer lasting more reliable product it also makes it cheaper to produce, to put it into perspective a 65” OLED will cost you about £2600 where as the wallpaper OLED is £6000

Mate you are totaly ignoring my posts on the tech, there is no LCD involved in OLED tech. Colour producing filter, the colour is produced by the LCD or OLED?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast