+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: 10 audiophile myths busted

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by George47 View Post
    1) You can minimise these effects by not carrying out ABX tests with 12 sec samples but by listening for much longer time periods and getting the real measure of the item and then trying the other component. Doing blind tests is an awful way to test components and I have not seen any statistically significant data that shows SS amp sound different. But they are.
    Indeed, although it's only "awful" in the sense of considering the results obtained as conclusive, which they aren't, simply because like every other test that involves the human brain and hearing, it's fallible! The likelihood is, whenever you try and *force* yourself to hear a difference, because you're under pressure to do so, in the way of ABX testing or similar, you run the risk of obtaining a false result, as most people don't respond well to being tested in that way.

Subtle differences in sound between components, which generally is what you're testing for, if they exist, are more likely to be revealed naturally, over time, by listening to the component(s) concerned with a variety of familiar recordings, in a relaxed environment, than via any 'quick fire' ABX testing.

Therefore, by all means undertake such tests, with whatever components you like, and use it as ONE valid means of determining differences, but the best way of obtaining meaningful results, is as you've said, by listening for much longer time periods and getting the real measure of the item, and then trying the other component.

Of course, like ABX testing, that process is also fallible, for a variety of obvious reasons (NO test is perfect), but at least you've applied some reasonable judgement criteria, in order to determine the existence of any differences. Therefore, I'd contend that some form of objective *and* subjective testing (as outlined) is required, to get a proper handle on what's happening, not just 10 minutes spent getting jiggy with a blindfold!

Marco.
    http://www.thestainedglasscompany.com

"A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do" -- Milan Kundera.

BE HAPPY EVERYDAY!

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by RMutt View Post
    I love The Smiths and Morrissey. Is it a myth that people on hifi forums all love Dire Straits, Steely Dan, Yello and Pink Floyd?
    ha ha, not sure about all, but indeed I'm aware that a heck of a lot (myself included) do like the Dan a lot which makes you wonder why so many of us audio nuts do whilst at the same time having very differing musical tastes otherwise

Are the Dan a bit like Bob Marley then, as in everybody or most people tend to like them to at least a fair extent ?

Maybe it's something to do with the connection of melody, musicality and groove of which those two are definately of 'that'
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Modified Technics SL1210 MK5G
    Mike New precision bearing, bearing base plate, ETP Platter
    Micro Seiki MA-202 tonearm, rewired, hybrid ceramic bearings
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge
    Yannis Tome 423.5 Silver-Litz tonearm cable with KLEI Pure Silver Harmony plugs
    Ebony armboard
    Audio Technica MS-8 Magnesium headshell, Ortofon pure silver headshell leads
    Isonoe Isolation Feet
    Paul Hynes SR7EHD PSU (plus regulator modules), DCSXL pure-silver DC lead with Jaegar low impedance connector
    CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable, Airlock plugs - bare wire amp end.
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket, Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs with Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I love The Smiths and Morrissey. Is it a myth that people on hifi forums all love Dire Straits, Steely Dan, Yello and Pink Floyd?
    Like The Smith, Steely Dan and Syd Barrett-era Pink Floyd. Don't like Dire Straits, don't know Yello.

I'm Mike.

Is it a myth that people on hifi forums all love Dire Straits, Steely Dan, Yello and Pink Floyd?
    Yes ... is that another one busted?

I'm Steve.

Yello are a Swiss Duo whose best known track is 'The Race', which I guarantee you will have heard.

I think Steely Dan have a large following among audiophiles, probably because the quality of the musicianship is only equalled by their production values, while I feel that Bob Marley songs have an irresistible groove which the production allows to shine through.

Only my opinion of course, but I am a bit biased.
    'I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested'

I'm Alex.

Audiophile myth #5: People buy expensive hi fi in order to listen to music.

Wrong! That's like saying people buy expensive cars in order to drive themselves from A to B. There is so many reasons more important than transport that make people spend a lot of money on cars. If getting from A to B was the primary reason, everybody would be driving some shitty economy clunker.

Aesthetics, social prestige, etc. all determine how much money is someone going to blow on buying an automobile. People like to drive a head-turner vehicle.

Same motivation applies to hi fi. Aesthetics, wanting to impress our friends, wanting to have a head-turner hi fi in the comfort of our luxurious home, to tell the world that 'we have arrived' and are living the 'charmed life'.

Music can be enjoyed on pretty much ANY system. If the music is good, the quality of audio components won't matter. I have, on more than one occasion, been driven to tears while driving and listening to some divine music on my shitty dinky car speakers, while the music playback was being drowned by the noisy car and the nosy traffic.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Indeed, although it's only "awful" in the sense of considering the results obtained as conclusive, which they aren't, simply because like every other test that involves the human brain and hearing, it's fallible! The likelihood is, whenever you try and *force* yourself to hear a difference, because you're under pressure to do so, in the way of ABX testing or similar, you run the risk of obtaining a false result, as most people don't respond well to being tested in that way.

Subtle differences in sound between components, which generally is what you're testing for, if they exist, are more likely to be revealed naturally, over time, by listening to the component(s) concerned with a variety of familiar recordings, in a relaxed environment, than via any 'quick fire' ABX testing.

Therefore, by all means undertake such tests, with whatever components you like, and use it as ONE valid means of determining differences, but the best way of obtaining meaningful results, is as you've said, by listening for much longer time periods and getting the real measure of the item, and then trying the other component.

Of course, like ABX testing, that process is also fallible, for a variety of obvious reasons (NO test is perfect), but at least you've applied some reasonable judgement criteria, in order to determine the existence of any differences. Therefore, I'd contend that some form of objective *and* subjective testing (as outlined) is required, to get a proper handle on what's happening, not just 10 minutes spent getting jiggy with a blindfold!

Marco.
    I agree. Doing pointed tests (i.e. focused short bursts of listening in order to try and hear differences between two configurations) is akin to doing short focused looks into one of those jumbled images that look chaotic, but the aim is to see what image is hidden in that chaotic mess. You'll only be able to really see the 'hidden image' emerge if you relax your gaze, take your sweet time, and not try too hard.

To me, the same approach works when trying to determine whether a change in my configuration results in the changed sound quality. Intense listening simply doesn't work, as you're straining your ears and in the process just hearing your own blood pumping through your ears.

Instead, I relax, grab a glass of wine/beer, sit back, and let the sound flow. Slowly but surely, those at first imperceptible 'images' start emerging. Or, if those hidden characteristics fail to emerge after a relaxed session, then I know that the change was for naught, and the purchase is to be returned for a refund.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Steve.

At the risk of getting my arse kicked for going slightly 'off topic', may I suggest looking at a video posted by stratmangler over on 'Musical Compositions'.

It's a good reminder of why we got into this hifi malarky.

Forget the myths for a few minutes, and just enjoy.
    'I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested'

I'm Russell.

In an earlier post I said that I donít pay attention to measurements anymore, I buy stereo based on its ability to evoke emotion. It seems a lot of us are on the same page?

But what I didnít say was that as my system has evolved to be emotionally evoking, I find that Iím using gear that has been touted as Hi End. Which usually means it has some quality that garners praise in the industry. So perhaps accuracy is what makes a system more involving? If a 13 foot grand piano sounds like a childís toy, itís not going to be satisfying.

As far as buying name brands to impress others, I donít subscribe to that. Oh! I know people do! Well to do people want to show off the fact that they own the best! But personally, I donít know a soul who is impressed by the names on my stereo, no one I know is even aware of who these companies are. While they may be impressed by its sheer size, and quality of playback, the fact that I have a Cary CD player doesnít even register with them, theyíve never even heard of them. So I hang out with a bunch of hicks, so what. Thatís why Iím on this forum, to have someone to talk to about this crap. And Iíd hate to think I spent $20 grand to impress you blokes.

Russell

I'm Grant.

I want an emotive connection to the music I play, and most of what I like gives me that. My system isnt top end by any means but it hits the spot, and that, to me, is what I do it for.
    Regards,
    Grant ....

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    OPPO BDP-103D DARBEE - JBE SERIES 3/B&O SP1/EMOTIVA XPS1/12V BATTERY - TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK AMPLIFIERS - XIANG SHENG DAC\PRE\HEADPHONE AMP\WE TUBED - TWIN AVANTREE OASIS CLASS 1 BLUETOOTHS - AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 & OPPO PM-3 PLANAR HEADPHONES - WIN10, AUDIRVANA 3 PLUS, TIDAL - SMSL M6 MINIDAC - RPI/AUDIOPHONICS/VOLUMIO/5V BATTERY - FULL RANGE TWIN TELEFUNKEN/Q ACOUSTIC BT3/CANTON SUB - P.INSPIRED MAINS REGENERATED.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast