+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: 10 audiophile myths busted

I'm Steve.

I jumped in the pool because I thought the advanced swimmers had left.

But they're still here, and they've popped my water wings, So it's an early shower for me.
    'I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested'

I'm Brook.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Ok then Brook, here's a hobby...

Jigsaw puzzles.

!. corners
    2. edges
    3. fill it in

Of course the hardcore 'jiggers' will tell you that assembling the puzzle printed side down is the only way.
    https://puzzling.stackexchange.com/q...google_rich_qa

I'm Steve.

Oh my God Brook, you're right, they're everywhere!

I'm going back to my old hobby of sitting on my arse and staring into space, surely there won't be opinions on that.

Although I find that if I tilt slightly, putting my weight on my right cheek and let one off, the accompanying eye-bulge enables me to see further...

I'm George.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Oh my God Brook, you're right, they're everywhere!

I'm going back to my old hobby of sitting on my arse and staring into space, surely there won't be opinions on that.

Although I find that if I tilt slightly, putting my weight on my right cheek and let one off, the accompanying eye-bulge enables me to see further...
    Sorry I disagree. You have provided no data on the distance you are staring at in either feet or metres. How did you measure the distance, tape measure or laser? What angle did you tilt at, did you measure it with a clinometer? How loud was the outgas in dB? How does it compare to the BS for outgassing? Anything below 85dB is inadequate

If you did not do any of those measurements then you have imagined it and you are totally deluded. Good grief man and I thought you were serious. Bloody amateur.

I'm Steve.

I have an assistant who handles the technical side of things. I cannot provide the data as she has taken it away for anal-ysis. She will then discuss her findings with her supervisor (pimp) and get back to me on Monday.

I won't have access to the findings until then as the supervisor works Saturday morning at Currys.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by George47 View Post
    Sorry I disagree. You have provided no data on the distance you are staring at in either feet or metres. How did you measure the distance, tape measure or laser? What angle did you tilt at, did you measure it with a clinometer? How loud was the outgas in dB? How does it compare to the BS for outgassing? Anything below 85dB is inadequate

If you did not do any of those measurements then you have imagined it and you are totally deluded. Good grief man and I thought you were serious. Bloody amateur.
    I love how the threads I start always end up in the toilet Says a lot about the originator, doesn't it?
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by mikmas View Post
    As if 'Subjectivists' are not guilty of the same 'trampling' - please spare me ....
    It happens, but IME, no where near as it does the other way round.

Marco.
    http://www.thestainedglasscompany.com

"A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do" -- Milan Kundera.

BE HAPPY EVERYDAY!

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    Try reading any discussion thread that claims how digital is superior to analog, or vice versa. Lots of 'objectivists' claims being thrown out, usually by people who listen to music with their eyes and their intellect, not with their ears.
    I have, for my sins, been on audio forums for 25 years now. From the start, there were two subjects guaranteed to lead to (virtual) punch-ups: a) digital versus vinyl, and b) whether expensive cables are worth the money. On one occasion on a Usenet hifi forum, one bloke in the US was all set to fly across the Atlantic to punch out the lights of someone in Europe who questioned his opinion.

There's a lot to be said for being a fence-sitter, because extreme black/white views, in audio or in life generally, are usually wrong. It's also why I tend not to blab on about the equipment I use; it gives people one less hook on which to hang their opinions,

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    Electric guitar tone is a matter of personal preference. There's a very wide palette of tones and any guitarist is free to try to create whatever tone they like. Why wouldn't they?
    But to extend that same freedom of choice to a hi-fi system would be another thing altogether. To me, it simply wouldn't be hi-fi. Of course, anyone is free to do what they like, and if you want the bass guitar on your recordings to sound fat and bloated even though the bass guitarist who recorded it didn't, you're free to do whatever you want to create that. Just don't call it "high fidelity".
    Me neither, simply because *by definition* it isn't! I also agree with everything else you've written.

Some folk like using graphic equalisers, in order to 'make some recordings more listenable', which is fine if that's what you like, but again don't call it hi-fi!

Marco.

"A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do" -- Milan Kundera.

BE HAPPY EVERYDAY!

Quote Originally Posted by speedracer View Post
    I am aware that there are some people who will espouse they will only buy kit that measures well, & would never entertain the thought of buying something like a valve amp that sounds divine but measures badly by comparison.
    I know where you're coming from (and largely agree with the rest of your post), but I assure you it's a fallacy that properly designed valve amps measure badly in comparison with SS amps; it simply depends on what you're measuring, and also how you choose to interpret the results

Plus, any valve amp that sounds "devine", for the right reasons [i.e. reproduces voices and instruments in a lifelike and natural way] rather than simply because its euphonic coloration is seductive, will almost certainly also measure well. Mine certainly does!

I've yet to hear a valve amp that measures poorly, sound good - that is 'good', for the right reasons, as outlined above.

Marco.

BE HAPPY EVERYDAY!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast