+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: 10 audiophile myths busted

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I'd say the most representative here would be Tannoy Dual Concentrics or some form of panel/electrostatic..
    That would be my view, but there also plenty of folks, like you, who use floorstanders of some description.

Marco.
    http://www.thestainedglasscompany.com

"A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do" -- Milan Kundera.

BE HAPPY EVERYDAY!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    That would be my view, but there also plenty of folks, like you, who use floorstanders of some description.

Marco.
    At the moment but I'm buying some Tannoys as a final speaker. I've tried to find better for the money and I have failed.
    Martin

Current Lash Up:

Technics SLP1200 CD Player * NVA P90SA passive pre / Krell KSA50S Power amp * JM Lab Electra 926 loudspeakers *

'This is the sort of music I'd be listening to if I was going shopping for a training bra.'

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    well there is me for a start
    I didn't think your Telefunkens were single drivers.... Well, they don't sound overtly coloured to me (bearing in mind that ALL speakers are coloured to some degree) - they sounded very good.

Marco.

"A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do" -- Milan Kundera.

BE HAPPY EVERYDAY!

I'm Grant.

I didn't think your Telefunkens were single drivers.... Well, they don't sound overtly coloured to me (bearing in mind that ALL speakers are coloured to some degree) - they sounded very good.

Marco.
    Twin drivers, but in series so still no x-over. Keeps the speed of the 10" paper driver but ups the anti with the 2. They sound better now I fixed the couple of issues when you were here last so a bit improved.
    Regards,
    Grant ....

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    OPPO BDP-103D DARBEE - JBE SERIES 3/B&O SP1/EMOTIVA XPS1/12V BATTERY - TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK AMPLIFIERS - XIANG SHENG DAC\PRE\HEADPHONE AMP\WE TUBED - TWIN AVANTREE OASIS CLASS 1 BLUETOOTHS - AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 & OPPO PM-3 PLANAR HEADPHONES - WIN10, AUDIRVANA 3 PLUS, TIDAL - SMSL M6 MINIDAC - RPI/AUDIOPHONICS/VOLUMIO/5V BATTERY - FULL RANGE TWIN TELEFUNKEN/Q ACOUSTIC BT3/CANTON SUB - P.INSPIRED MAINS REGENERATED.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    At the moment but I'm buying some Tannoys as a final speaker. I've tried to find better for the money and I have failed.
    Really? That's news to me!

Some find it early, some late, some never...........

Marco.

BE HAPPY EVERYDAY!

I'm Martin.

I'd rather have some big JBLs but there's just no chance.
    Martin

Current Lash Up:

Technics SLP1200 CD Player * NVA P90SA passive pre / Krell KSA50S Power amp * JM Lab Electra 926 loudspeakers *

'This is the sort of music I'd be listening to if I was going shopping for a training bra.'

Quote Originally Posted by George47 View Post
    I agree but we are talking about some of the most aggressive objectivists. They use the basic measurements of THD, FR and noise. Those measurements are easy to measure and allows people to get into competitions on the best numbers. In fact, many companies play that game to show that this years model is better than last years. So if you are an aggressive objectivist then any amp with adequate values of those three items gives you a perfect amplifier and they say all those amps sound the same. But that is NOT what is heard.

However, hifi is more complex and those measurements are not of much use with modern SS amps. Go on a forum and say you use a valve amplifier and THD, noise and FR are quoted as reasons that they should not sound very good. If you say that the valve amplifer actually sounds better then the accusation is you like distortion and noise.
    Once again, George, your post contains much truth - the last sentence in particular, as I've often been subjected to that rather ignorant assumption!

Marco.

BE HAPPY EVERYDAY!

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood
    Indeed, I never mentioned full-range single-driver units, nor were they what I had in mind.
    So what did you have in mind?

Marco.

BE HAPPY EVERYDAY!

I'm Grant.

Once again, George, your post contains much truth - the last sentence in particular, as I've often been subjected to that rather ignorant assumption!

Marco.
    Valve amps Ive had were all very good, noise wise. In fact i kinda wish I had a nice valve amp now, as my speakers would be great with one. Not to say the mono's Im using are not adequate, but the quality of top valve designs can produce an intoxicating brew.
    Regards,
    Grant ....

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    OPPO BDP-103D DARBEE - JBE SERIES 3/B&O SP1/EMOTIVA XPS1/12V BATTERY - TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK AMPLIFIERS - XIANG SHENG DAC\PRE\HEADPHONE AMP\WE TUBED - TWIN AVANTREE OASIS CLASS 1 BLUETOOTHS - AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 & OPPO PM-3 PLANAR HEADPHONES - WIN10, AUDIRVANA 3 PLUS, TIDAL - SMSL M6 MINIDAC - RPI/AUDIOPHONICS/VOLUMIO/5V BATTERY - FULL RANGE TWIN TELEFUNKEN/Q ACOUSTIC BT3/CANTON SUB - P.INSPIRED MAINS REGENERATED.

I'm Alex.

Marco.
    When I mention how I like the sound of Denon DL-103, I tend to get the same response: "oh, so you like distorted sound?" Why is that?
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast